This was easily one of the best events I have ever played in and its surprising given the fact that this was a completely open, unbound, un-comped no holds bar, everything goes. You'd be amazed how things shook up. The top tables WERE NOT full of gimmicky lists, it was all the great players I have come to know, bringing lists that were interesting and fun, albeit hard as nails in the hands of solid players. I think over the course of 5 games RPS lists that invest a lot in single models will have a hard time being consistent unless they get lucky with match ups. 

I brought a 6.3 Skaven list, no special characters, a single WLC, Abomb, and Doomwheel. Standard, 2x40 slaves 2x35 clanrats, 2 darts, 6 GR's, 10 Jezzails, Grey seer, 4 warlocks (all the toys, orb, globe, and rocket) Bsb, and a worthless WL on bonebreaker (dude sucks). I think i was in the top 15 with an 81 battle score. 

I was able to brass orb a Great Chaos Dragon, gotta love I1 on big dudes, and I did get Karl Franz with it, luckily. I played 5 great games against great opponents, I needed to have 5 favorite pins. 

Swan of War was my first game of the tournament. His warrior army is one of my favorites in the region, he did a great job of making a themed army that has potential to play well and turn heads with its beauty. SOW admitted it had been a while since he'd gotten some games in, and he had a bad match up against the Skaven, just too many high S, no armor stuff. I was able to take a few charges, hold and take out the elements one at a time. A great game, a great sport, and my favorite opponent day 1, I hope to rematch soon. 

Second game was against Ricky from the great white north of Canada,  another Chaos player. He brought Belakor and a Great chaos dragon. I had no Idea how i was going to deal with those two elements. I luckily baited the Dragon with my Abom, they CAN flee, and I did, he had to re-direct into slaves only to eat a Brass Orb to the face the next shooting phase. I love shooting into combat. The same turn Belakor tempted fate with the WLC and lost. Thats 1200 pts in one shooting phase, super gross. Ricky was a great sport about it and we had a great game anyway enjoying chaos shenanigans, his Lord could NOT pass a LD test all game.. Id seen Ricky around at other events and never got a chance to play him, happy to get the chance this time. I always end up playing his brother Shayne, who ended up placing 1st in best general, congrats to Shayne. ** Thank you for clarifying ClassicFlava.

Congrats to Sol for winning best overall!! His Gwar regiment was truly awesome.  

3rd 4th and 5th small recaps to come. 

• Like 3

Hey Fixxer!  Good to finally meet and play you - had a great time and gave you my fav opponent vote too.  I fell back into my groove after our game, so thanks for your patience while I looked up stats/rules and such.  It helped me throughout the rest of the weekend. 

I went 0-1-4 but took home Ms. Congeniality so I'd say that was a win!  I've been purposefully ignorant of End Times stuff so I expected to hit a lot of units and armies that I didn't understand.  Just wanted to throw a bunch of things at them and see what happened.

Like you said, lots of solid players and not too many OP lists.  Beautiful armies with great painting, conversions, free hand and more.  Love that the PNW has so much creativity that they put into their forces.  You could play the same faction twice in a row and they'd look like completely different armies.

Ricky and Tiffany run a great tournament and Mox is a fantastic venue.  Having a bar /restaurant attached is awesome as I was able to grab a beer with the cool Canadian guys and you after my last game - great way to end a weekend.

My third game I faced Kremmets Eternity king list featuring Malekith and Allarielle. A very fluffy list that really does follow the story arc of the End Times books. This was a super tough match up for my list and Kremmet is a great general, I dont think I even had a chance during this game. He got a long charge off with his BG after scrolling a dreaded thirteenth that he had hidden in his regiment of renown, not that it would've helped all the much in the end but it would have perhaps kept me steadfast or deterred him from charging in the first place. He used the lore of Undeath on Malekith and was able to chaff up the Abom really well on the left flank and combine a charge into a corner I left exposed on my bunker, that combined with the BG and Allarielle in a flank, it was laughable how [big bad swear word]ed I was. In desperation my other block of Clanrats charged Malekith in the front and my Abom in the rear, challenged with my unit champ and won combat by one. My eyes went wide when he rolled an 11 on his first break test, but luckily his BSB was right there and he made his reroll, barely. My Abom would have caught him in pursuit, I KNOW IT!! haha!I Even getting tabled I have got to say, I learned a lot in this game, had great time playing Kremmet, and I would rematch anytime. 

alarielle and malekith LOL... god if i drew that and did what i did my first game with the daemon prince(no choir on roll and lost acquiescence first turn) i would have been tabled in 2-3 turns lol.  i think my favorite quote of the tournament was from jordan when he looked at my army setup: "WTF, you brought beastmen to this tournament?! GOR?! Come on man! FILTH HARDER!!" It wasnt just him, two other guys randomly walked past me and commented on how 'brave' i was for bringing beastmen lol.  my pin, besides regiment of reknown, for my overachiever of the tournament was my 85 point tuskgor chariot.  that stupid thing killed 20 warriors, 9 witches and finished off a basilisk?  my underachiever is, once again, the dumb chimera.  i think im done using that thing...  so overrated. 

Granted I was playing Phoenix King and not Eternity King, but otherwise that's a pretty apt write up of our battle.  Still a fun adventure!  As for Malekith being OP, in comparison to the filth that exists in the base game, I just don't agree.  He reminds me a lot of ethereal-based lists:  they're super RPS in nature with people either having all the tools to stop it or having none and being virtually helpless.  Fixxer definitely had some of the tools to stop Malekith, but I also focused out most of his shooting hard with a lucky first turn and his magic went down turn 2/3 to the long-bomb BG charge.  A lot of the time it's going to come down to what happens in the first two turns which is how most games honestly go when you have 1000+ points invested in one thing (granted my Malekith was 825 points, but the point stands).  Things worth that many points are bound to fail you eventually in dice games and then you're going to lose.

@Nate:  Ehh, I wouldn't listen to them.  Legions really fix the problems in BoC armies and make them very viable as an army.  Just having access to marks and monsters that aren't laughably bad alone makes them a true force to be reckoned with.

• Like 1

Granted I was playing Phoenix King and not Eternity King, but otherwise that's a pretty apt write up of our battle.  Still a fun adventure!  As for Malekith being OP, in comparison to the filth that exists in the base game, I just don't agree.  He reminds me a lot of ethereal-based lists:  they're super RPS in nature with people either having all the tools to stop it or having none and being virtually helpless.  Fixxer definitely had some of the tools to stop Malekith, but I also focused out most of his shooting hard with a lucky first turn and his magic went down turn 2/3 to the long-bomb BG charge.  A lot of the time it's going to come down to what happens in the first two turns which is how most games honestly go when you have 1000+ points invested in one thing (granted my Malekith was 825 points, but the point stands).  Things worth that many points are bound to fail you eventually in dice games and then you're going to lose.

@Nate:  Ehh, I wouldn't listen to them.  Legions really fix the problems in BoC armies and make them very viable as an army.  Just having access to marks and monsters that aren't laughably bad alone makes them a true force to be reckoned with.

oh i know they are quite viable.  my record with them is pretty steep... i was just shocked other people didnt see them that way.  sure not as good as the crazy end times characters, but thats why i changed to a DP slaanesh so i at least had A WAY to deal with them.   my only loss with that list was to Jim who i think finished 2nd? and not getting choir and 2 dice miscast loss of acquiescence first turn... my tools to controlling archaon and isolating the rest of his army were basically gone.  so yea, the daemon prince was pretty great with beastmen.  i think it complemented them well.  ill be making some changes(dropping the chimera...) though pending when 9th drops and what changes after the RCW

Then we're totally in agreement although I don't think the DP is necessary as those super characters can mostly just be gummed up while you snipe the rest of the army's points (or, in the case of Malekith/Nagash, killed with magic).  

I wish I could say I'm eager to see how your army progresses, but with 9th right around the corner I wonder how long all this cool ET stuff will last.

Game 4 vs ClassicFlava's Lizards. Ryan is becoming my tournament arch nemesis. We have played 2 games so far and they've both been absolute ball busters. Ryan has got me twice, I was unable to seize victory after a pretty smashing turn 1. TWICE!, Ive taken first turn facing Ryan to go up early only to have him grind me down to an inevitable loss. This is a testament to Ryans knowledge of the lizardmen army. He doesnt give up after taking mass losses and knows how to counter punch effectively. I felt like I was in good position for turn 2 enough to push my Grey seer's unit into range of 13th and some other nastiness I was planning. Slann was able to get a spell off, of course, switch a spell for death, got snipe and killed my Grey Seer bottom of 2, I failed a bunch of MR boosted ward saves, BUMMER!!!. That was rough, still had a fighting chance, but couldnt stop his Slaan and Saurus. That unit got into my deployment zone only to take out like 3-4 blocks of rats. Wow, I need to find a way to get that Slaan off the board because I really dont have an answer. Very well played game, I had an absolute blast even though I was without my Seer most of the game. I will get my revenge soon! Great game Ryan! Until the next time. 

• Like 2

Granted I was playing Phoenix King and not Eternity King, 

For what it's worth I specifically think only the EK version is a game buster.  They are both hard but it's the EK version's "everyone's straight Martial & Murderous" and his Incarnate of Shadow move that make him just a little (lot against some armies) too much IMO.

Also I never really understand the argument of "having the tools" against an army that generally gets to dictate matchups.  I would imagine that any good general would focus immediately on removing the few things that pose an actual statistical threat to M:EK, and then spend the rest of the game mopping up.  Sounds to me like that's exactly what you did and I think that it would be very very difficult to prevent that from happening.  

Eh, whatever, it's not a big deal to me, there are indeed plenty of gross builds in the game with or without M:EK in the mix.  I just think M:EK is so egregious and obvious that he should generally be shame-banned :)

• Like 1

He doesnt give up after taking mass losses and knows how to counter punch effectively. I felt like I was in good position for turn 2 enough to push my Grey seer's unit into range of 13th and some other nastiness I was planning.

I totally agree, resilience is one of the Lizard army's signatures... I find often that I feel like I've got a game in hand and then have to claw through every turn.  They just have a LOT of solid units floating around and don't depend as much as some on one or two units to "do work" while the rest support.  Though in this case it sounds like his Slann unit went nuts :)  I feel like the fly below radar because even though they don't have some big overt "10/10" unit, they have a lot of 7, 8 and 9/10 units quietly winning.

Ricky was a great sport about it and we had a great game anyway enjoying chaos shenanigans, his Lord could NOT pass a LD test all game

Poor Ricky. I drew him round 1 at Gottacon, and the response of my club was "don't worry about it, he can't roll dice for [big bad swear word]."  Sure enough one of his own fleeing chariots panicked 600 points off the board turn 2, with his BSB a couple inches out of range.

Great sport about it, though.

• Like 1

I have to agree that the event was amazing and I was surprised how good the games were.

I think the majority of people brought strong enough choices that it balance out.

The hardest character I fought was by far Nagash. The only game I lost was to Nagash. He Spirit leeched Khalida turn 6. It was like something out of the fluff it was an awesome end to a great battle.

The second time I faced Nagash was round 6 and I learned from my last game and took him out turn 3 with Ambush Stalkers and 2 Catapults.

Fixxer: Ryan has also had a LOT of practice against Skaven!

and you've become my arch nemesis! haha.  i have a very good record against woodies(just with my dwarfs) and havent beat you yet! 

lizards are tough to deal with when people know how to play them.  i think ryan is my only loss to lizardmen and ive played them a ton.  really good general.  i recall that game at ofcc.  meeting engagement and lost the initiative on a 6 as usual hehe.  my slayers took out his left side cohort and birds while his temple guard crushed my longbeards.  organ gun went off and took them down to like 3 dudes, his slaan and a cowboy.  he was sweating, but his bastilladon or steg(cant remember) got into the drakes, chameleons finally got the organ gun and that was the ballgame lol.  i love playing lizzies cause its a super strategy game of matchups, especially with dwarfs.  copters vs skinks/chameleons is hilarious.  i look forward to playing against ryan again some day as well!

• Like 1

Final game of the tournament I played against Michael. He was a new face for me, Id never seen him at any other tournaments because he is a somewhat newer player. He played a Karl Franz empire army that was nicely painted and a blast to play against. Well balanced all the way around with a few units of demigryphs and a coulple WMs, knights, and halbs. This was a really crazy game, I managed to get Karl with a brass orb on the bottom of 2, Michael rolled a 6 for his Initiative test, wow, I was flabberghasted. Without that I dont think I would have had a chance. After Karl was gone, my opponent didnt give up and honestly made quite a game out of it. He cast dwellers in desperation on my main block and was able to get my BSB and WL, next turn he cannon sniped my Grey Seer out of the unit, I failed my LOS and Ward save, RATS!! It was impressive how he was able to come back and really make me fight for the win. What a great game and good player, its refreshing to see people getting into the game and bringing it! Michael "gets" Warhammer and will be a force to reckon with after he gets some more tournaments under his belt. 

Thanks to Ricky and Tiffany for putting on such a great event! 

By the end of the game my regiment of renown had the following:

-Standard of Slowness (subtract D6" from charge ranges against them)

-Fight in 3 ranks, 

-WS5/I5

-Killing blow

-2 Bound spells from the lore of life

My hero of renown:

Heroic KB

WS7/I7

Ogre Blade

Dragon Helm

• Like 1