for funzies: scatter laser ratio

intrizic

Looking at that last wave of Nid releases, I can't really see it, myself. Maleceptor was terrible, the Toxicrene was meh, Venomthropes got no new Rules despite that fact that IA4.2 pretty much made them irrelevant, Zoanthropes got a new option, but it's expensive and mediocre, the Sporocyst is situational at best, and the Tyrannocyte is OK, but overpriced and lacking some equivalent of the Drop Pod Assault Rule. Probably the best thing to come out of that wave was the Mucolid, which isn't actually all that good, but it's cheaper than the other bad Troop Choices Nids have.

• Like 2

In interviews both the dev team guys and Jes have stated the models and what will and won't be in the kit comes first from the sculptors and sprue engineers, then the dev team comes up with rules.  So if Jes says, "Hey ole chap, I think bikes look bees knees with a scatter laser so I am including one for each bike in the kit."  then the dev guys go "Well I say kind sir, that sounds swell, we will let every bike have a scatter laser or a shuriken cannon.  We will cost it at 10 points cause that is a good round number.  Tally ho!"

• Like 4

I found the balancing point that they will put in the codex:

'Dying Race' - The Eldar are too few to waste their lives in pointless conflicts. If 25% of the Eldar force is destroyed or fleeing at the end of a game turn, the Eldar player removes all remaining models from the table. 

I counter with:

Dying Race. To truly show the devastating effects of each Eldar death on the table top, each unit from Codex: Eldar Craftworlds that is removed from play as a casualty shall be immediately smashed with a hammer.

I would hazard that there's just a disconnect between each team. More variety means more disparity of ideas. I don't sense much collaboration between the designers of each book, even if they are all purported to be a collaborative work. My Scions at least seem to debunk the Op rules for new models theory.

Dying race rule would be fluffy and potentially crunchy. I can't see an Autarch casually throwing guardians into the grinder when one Eldar is worth any number of any other race in their eyes. Maybe at 75% points lost they open a webway portal; if all units escape its a draw, if they fall below 50% it's a loss. I guess it's just a narrative game at that point though, and fairly enough that is not what every player seeks.

I would hazard that there's just a disconnect between each team. More variety means more disparity of ideas. I don't sense much collaboration between the designers of each book, even if they are all purported to be a collaborative work. My Scions at least seem to debunk the Op rules for new models theory.

Dying race rule would be fluffy and potentially crunchy. I can't see an Autarch casually throwing guardians into the grinder when one Eldar is worth any number of any other race in their eyes. Maybe at 75% points lost they open a webway portal; if all units escape its a draw, if they fall below 50% it's a loss. I guess it's just a narrative game at that point though, and fairly enough that is not what every player seeks.

Not every player seeks to have D sprayed all over their face while swatting at mosquitoes, either.

This whole Eldar codex debacle is why I have stepped away from 40k.  On a micro level it's easy to see the effects of 40 SL shots from a single unit of jetbikes has on a game, it's easy to see even  purely theoretically. On a macro level you can see the effect it will have on the community, which is already polarizing and charging with negativity.  GW doesn't or won't see this

• Like 3

I'll say that what drove me from Fantasy was a similar power spike in late 7th edition.  Daemons were so above and beyond compared to the other armies it was ludicrous.  I'm feeling the same with this Eldar dex.  

I'm less inclined to walk away, but I'm more inclined to not bother trying to be competitive in big events.  I just don't have the time or money to either arm up with Eldar or figure out counters to it.  

Most likely, I'll just play games at my house and have fun.  

• Like 2