I'm Disgruntled with X-Wing

I don't like to whine about game stuff, but I'm going to. I'm not loving X-Wing these days like I used to and I'm trying to figure out why. The best answer that I can come up with is that I don't like the current meta.

I like to fly Imperial lists; primarily fast, evasive, arc-dodgy lists. I don't like to fly Rebel lists; primarily slow, jousty, synergy-based lists. Currently, I feel like the meta heavily favors "Rebel-style" lists. The worst offenders, the ones that really started to shatter my enjoyment of the games, are the stress builds. I'm talking either a full-on 3 B-Wings with Tactician + BTL Y-Wing with R3-A2 Astrobutt garbagefest, or some variation on the theme. The most recent tournament that I traveled to (down in Tacoma) had at least 75% of the field made up of these types of lists and they are absolutely zero fun to play against, especially if you're flying an evasive arc-dodgy list.

So I don't like Rebels, I can't competitively run Imperials, what about Scum? The game just introduced an entirely new faction, that should give me some interesting and different new options to play with right? I've played around with Scum a bit and have watched others play around with them a bit more, but the more I play them and the more I watch them, they still feel like Rebels to me. Partially this is due to Y-Wings, Z-95s, and HWKs making up a good bulk of their playable ships, but partly it's just back down to the style of the lists that come out of Scum, they're just "Rebel-style" synergy-builds with new packaging. IG-88 is it's own beast apart from that, but from the games I've run with dual-IGs, I don't know that it's the beast for me.

What Imperial builds are viable right now? TIE Swarms are viable, but I've played TIE Swarms to death before Wave 3 hit and I would really, really, like some new toys. I've seen Decimator+Bounty Hunter+Doomshuttle lists be viable, but that is pretty damn different than a regular "Imperial-style" list. Are Phantoms still viable? Between the hard counters that are super-prevalent in the meta right now and the new nerf that drops their effectiveness against regular lists, I don't think so. I think the meta thing is the biggest part of this, but the nerf certainly didn't help. Will the TIE Advanced fix make Imperials viable again? Maybe. I don't really want to run a 4 Advanced list (though it probably will be the most effective setup), but maybe some combination will work. I don't know. All I know, is that I don't have as much fun playing X-Wing as I used to and that's a bummer.

Considered changing the playset/group or mindset?  I used to almost exclusively play 40k in a very competitive setting back in AK, it slowly sucked the fun out of it for similar reasons to what you mentioned above (meta).  Now I almost exclusively play with a fun mentality and just to be social; granted there has been other changes in life since the competitive days as well, but I found that once I removed the emphasis on winning defining your success that it became much more fulfilling for that or any other game system.  

For example: the last X-wing tournament I played in (GG store championship) I had goals of playing 4 games, not having to chase my 2-yr old son around while he makes spaceship noises (he's getting really good) and flies a $15 plastic mini designed to break into a wall/chair/cat, and hopefully not losing every game.  I had opponents that made the common accidental bumps, etc. that comes from the X-wing mid-game who really didn't seem to grasp how much I was only there to do those 3 things for a few hours.  In the end I went 2-2 and didn't make the top 8; HUGE SUCCESS!

It took a bit of an adjustment to change mindsets, but I met some great people at the right times and have never regretted the decision.  

• Like 1

have you done any team games recently? 200pt vs 200pt or even a 300pt vs 300pt Epic game goes a long way to mix up the experience.

i have not been to any tourney's lately, but i imagine that you are not alone in your experience of facing a ton of control lists. you can blame Han Solo for that!

i have definitely had some unfun games. i probably give an unfun game when i show up with 32 hull.

So wait, you were having great success running the evade imperials...but then the rebels figured out a counter....and now the game is not fun anymore? Suck it up and find a counter to the rebel stress lists. Once you do that enough, they will stop bringing them to counter your new meta.

BTW, I don't play X-Wing and it is exactly for this reason. I don't have time to figure out metas and adjust my play for them. Bleah. I wanna go "pew pew pew" and have fun. Maybe just avoid tournaments?

• Like 1

I have loads of good games with friends as well, but would like to also say that I am very much gruntled with the store champ. I've been to and plan to catch another tourny in a week or so and another the week after that.  Who knows though - I might be disgruntled after that too, we'll have to wait and see....

:smile: