Formation question

So, just wondering, can I include non-slot units in a formation that has the required models, even if not specifically listed?

In example, With that DA libby formation(dataslate?), it includes azrael and 3 libbies of choice. Can I field a command squad for each of the 4 libbies? How about a techmarine? Those are specifically non-slot units available with the HQ selection.

If the formation adds special rules, would these extra units also benefit?

Generally, not that I am aware of.

For the record, why not?

So for each HQ in my detachment, I can field a command squad which does not occupy a slot in my detachment. The formation is a detachment.

It does not say, for each HQ in my Combined Arms Detachment, it says detachment.

The Rules for Formations are pretty sketchy and unclear on this. Most places I've seen, tho, seem to play it that you can take another Unit if they're listed in the options for the Unit in a Formation (this basically means Dedicated Transports), but not if they're a separate Unit that isn't mentioned in the entry for the Unit that is explicitly part of the Formation.

Even the Dedicated Transport thing is unclear, tho, since several Formations specify required Dedicated Transports as separate Units within the Formation, and then state that they must be taken as a Dedicated Transport for one of the Units.

So, just wondering, can I include non-slot units in a formation that has the required models, even if not specifically listed?

In example, With that DA libby formation(dataslate?), it includes azrael and 3 libbies of choice. Can I field a command squad for each of the 4 libbies? How about a techmarine? Those are specifically non-slot units available with the HQ selection.

If the formation adds special rules, would these extra units also benefit?

I would say no, because they aren't HQ choices. They're a distinct formation with a very specific consistency- Ezekial and 3 Librarians tells you what selections you can take. Command squads are for HQ choices, and HQ choices are part of detachments that use HQ choices.

Regarding dedicated transports, I'd say it has to be dedicated on the unit's data slate- including the unit includes its options. Again, this is why I say no command squads- the command squad says it can be taken per HQ choice, the librarian data entry does not say as much (as I recall, I'm at work).

I would say no, because they aren't HQ choices. They're a distinct formation with a very specific consistency- Ezekial and 3 Librarians tells you what selections you can take. Command squads are for HQ choices, and HQ choices are part of detachments that use HQ choices.

Regarding dedicated transports, I'd say it has to be dedicated on the unit's data slate- including the unit includes its options. Again, this is why I say no command squads- the command squad says it can be taken per HQ choice, the librarian data entry does not say as much (as I recall, I'm at work).

They actually remain HQ in battlefield role regardless of detachment rules. There was another thread for this one.

As for the above, I was summarizing. It specifically names libbies and azrael as one of the units which can have a free slot command squad and/or techmarine.

Beyond that, the Libby one was intended as an example. I don't even own the DA codex at this point.

Are there any 7th edition marine codexes which have a more clearly written entry regarding free slot units?

I don't believe you can. Formations specify what units you can take as part of them; you cannot include any other units in the formation, even if they don't take "slots," because formations don't have any "slots."

You CAN, however, take dedicated transports unless specified otherwise because those transports are under the Options listing of the unit itself. A Command Squad, however, is NOT listed under the options for Librarians (or any other units) and thus is not a part of their unit selection, even if it is associated with them.