Does anyone actually play by the RAW of the rulebook?

pretre

Random allocation of wounds when buildings are hit, vehicles blow up, etc. so on.

So 10 dudes inside, 5 wounds dealt, allocate the wounds to a random model first until he dies. Rinse repeat.

Ahhh, ok, yes, I don't do that most of the time since it takes WAY too long.  

YES!

That's the game! 

We do Fantasy RAW too cuz we bez pimpin da rulz and shiz.

Please if you will imagine me wearing an oversized hoodie with the hood draw up, a massive clock hanging around my neck and some wicked awesome hightop reeboks as I throw my hands in the air like I just don't care as I say all of this.  

Got the image?

Good.  

Now imagine me naked.

HA YOU DID IT!

Sinner.

Saddly I do not know what you look like. So I'll just picture scarlet johanson.

• Like 3

I think one of the problems with this whole setup of how GW has made this game is they expect the players to sit down and talk about the game before they play. This is a beer and pretzels game you play with your friends for fun and I believe they have stated as much in the rulebook. The purpose of this game is to have fun with your friends.

So when two people sit down over a beer and discuss the type of game they want to play, they expect the players to figure out what kind of game it will be, what kind of units will be used, and if any special rules will be added to enhance the narrative.

For me, this is the role of the ITC, or INAT, it takes the place of that much needed discussion.

• Like 3

For me, this is the role of the ITC, or INAT, it takes the place of that much needed discussion.

Well, INAT is dead. ITC is doing a pretty good job with that discussion though. Although, that would not be the game as written if we go by ITC (at least according to earlier arguments).

I try to play by the book, but I rarely do as I forget quite a bit of rules. I almost always forget about mysterious terrain and to roll for night fighting. We do follow the rules for terrain placement and army construction. I don't use approximations for Vanguard and actually mark a line in the middle and measure 12" from it.  Normally I just play Maelstrom Missions without rolling for it. I never impose restrictions on army composition.

So I guess I'd say that I try to play by the rules-as-written, but I don't actually do it.

Actually, looking through the birb again, I can't find any specified method of placing Terrain in 7th, or of choosing Table Edges, for that matter.

I do usually play with Mysterious Objectives, and at this point I've gotten used to it and it doesn't even slow things down much.

Vanguard Strike is going to be an approximation no matter how you do it, just because of how much of a pain it is to measure a consistent perpendicular to that diagonal, especially once Terrain is in the way and if you've only got two tape measures on hand. I'd also note that the 22.5"/14.5" approximation creates a slightly smaller area that I believe is entirely inside the "standard" Vanguard Strike DZ. So, again, it's not really any different than the fact that you're going to have to bump your stuff back a tiny fraction of an inch to be sure anyhow.

We have house-ruled a bunch of stuff, tho. We ignore Random Allocation when it doesn't really matter, play Ruins by 4th-6th Ed Rules, re-draw impossible Maelstrom Cards. We have sort of a gentlemen's agreement on Army Construction, no actual restrictions, but if we're going past a certain point (roughly, if bringing a LoW/Super-Heavy, or more than three Flyers/FMCs), let the other guy know in advance.

I think one of the problems with this whole setup of how GW has made this game is they expect the players to sit down and talk about the game before they play. This is a beer and pretzels game you play with your friends for fun and I believe they have stated as much in the rulebook. The purpose of this game is to have fun with your friends.

So when two people sit down over a beer and discuss the type of game they want to play, they expect the players to figure out what kind of game it will be, what kind of units will be used, and if any special rules will be added to enhance the narrative.

What he said.  

I think the part where GW assumes I'm 'forging a narrative' at all is the first step off the path of reality for the majority of 40k or WHFB games being played.  Short of a map or storyline campaign I think a given game is a an instantaneous conflict of my dolls shooting/slapping at your minis and vice-versa before I play another satisfying round of 'put my toys back in the foam trays'.  

Relative to the topic, I don't think I've ever used mysterious objectives or the GW-specific terrain rules (those might have been 6th, IDK) as opposed to the general terrain rules for a given feature.  I only have so much time on hand to play a given game and would rather spend that time actually playing rather than looking up obscure rules of little consequence or finding yet another random table.

• Like 1