Demystifying Mysterious Objectives (house rule idea)

What if you allowed the first player to claim an objective to pick the mysterious objective result?

Anything from sabotaged to skyfire nexus to nothing of note, picked by the first player to claim it. Impact on the game would be rather large, I'd think. I don't think it would unbalance the game any, if anything, it would make TACT lists a lot easier to create.

I know, most players don't even use the mysterious objective rules, but I have found they are very vital to the balance of 7th 40k.

I would be okay with that but it would certainly be a across the board buff for anyone with fast/mobile lists.

True, but it also grants defensive bonuses for less mobile lists with some of the other options on the mysterious objectives, making it harder to dislodge stationary forces.

The other bit, is that overly agressive lists, the ones that tend to leave their backfield unguarded, could sabotage their own objectives, just to deny them (seen more than a few tyranid and khorne lists like this)

I mean if both players like the idea, I suppose it would ok. I tend to like the randomness of the dice for objectives though.

However, it might work better if it were part of a scenario, rather than as a house rule for all scenarios.

So at the start of the game each player names the properties of three of the objectives. From a narrative stand point, your forces are trying to get those objectives for a specific strategic reason.

Ex: Will names objectives 1,3, and 5 to be Skyfire Nexi. So Will's Space Marines are trying to secure and operate these skyfire positions in order to hinder the enemy CAS assets they may uses against other Imperial Forces. Bob names Objectives 2,4,6 to be something else, for a narrative reason of his choice. 

By naming the objectives before the start of the game, both players have a choice: do they stay on their mission, or do they try and deny the enemy their mission. Additionally, it prevents a scenario where each players army just "happens" to find the right dohicky they need on the field of battle, right when they need it. 

I'm sure it would be really boring after a while if Player A always trips over a Skyfire Nexus when Player B has a flyer come onto the board; or Player B's long range shooting unit happens to find a Scatterfield every time they enter a ruins with an objective. It would be a little to too much like an episode of the A-Team where they always get pinned down in a barn with a welding kit, and steel plating.

But those are just my two cents.

Could also say no single player can duplicate choices. This would add a choice of where to use some.

As to the only one being good as sky fire nexus, the scatter field is awesome for keeping units shooting instead of going to ground, and a grav field can cause an assault into terrain to be -4 inches or help stop those long ignores cover charges by inflicting just the -2. The reroll 1s to hit isn't hot but half the chart is really good...

As to the only one being good as sky fire nexus, the scatter field is awesome for keeping units shooting instead of going to ground, and a grav field can cause an assault into terrain to be -4 inches or help stop those long ignores cover charges by inflicting just the -2. The reroll 1s to hit isn't hot but half the chart is really good...

I honestly think all of them are equally good, provided a player is choosing the result. The random nature of the choices makes them less useful/enjoyable.

I'm pretty sure Skyfire Nexus and Targeting Relay are significantly better than Sabotaged.

Depends. If I've got an objective with an AV11+ vehicle as my scoring unit, it being sabotaged means that the opponent is that much less likely to take it from me. The Sabotage effect will never hurt my AV11, so It functions as an additional defense. For vehicle examples, that would be a drop pod or Dragoon or building.

Anyway, if sticking to a choice method, if the option isn't viable in your eyes, don't pick it. Sabotage or Nothing of Note, seem like pretty solid denial options - for objectives more practical to deny the opponent, than keep for yourself.