We Shall Feast! (BBQHammer List Noodling)

WestRider

Westryder I was most certainly not attacking your originality, I was just struck by how similar it looked given how recently I had seen it.  It really ISNT that often that I see the same stuff played by a bunch of players to be honest even thoug hte internet acts like it has "seen it all".  Even "infamus" armies are often no more than people on the web THINKING of things.  So many of these lists I read never even see the tables, never been playtested by more than maybe a guy here or there.  Theres way more suposition and list-trolling than actual games going on!

So when you see two that are so alike that people actually can and do play it strikes you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up taking a slight modification of the Drop List. Had to trim a couple of things (second ML on the Rune Priest, a couple of Meltabombs) because I screwed up my math the first time. Had kind of a yo-yo day.

First game was against Nids. Not really much to say. He was just getting back into the game after being out since like 3rd Ed or so, and had way too few Models with way too many upgrades and a lot of poor Weapon choices. I felt kind of bad about the game, but that's the way it goes some times. Turn 3 tabling, full 11 Points.

Second round against Fluger's Orks. He basically had more bodies than I had bullets, and then I compounded the issue by getting wishy-washy with my initial drop and not penning him in solidly enough. After that, the green tide pretty much just washed over me, and I called it at the middle of Turn 3, nearly tabled, and having just (effectively) sacrificed my StormTalons to try to at least scrape out one Point for getting his Warlord. Didn't quite manage it, 0 Point loss.

Last round against Dark Eldar. 6 Venoms with Warriors, BlasterBorn in a  Raider with a cheap WWP Archon, a couple of Units of Haywire Scourges, a couple of Units of Reavers with some gear, a Razorwing, and a Ravager. There was a huge building in the middle of the board that blocked off a lot of line of sight, but did have some views through. We decided to play it exactly as modeled rather than using the Building Rules, because the roof came off and we could actually move dudes around inside pretty easily. This was a pretty classic Drop List game, I just kept bringing Pods down on Objectives, and focused as hard as I could on his Anti-Tank and the stuff he tried to break out with. Lack of OS for the Real Space Raiders really hurt him, and even tho my list was pretty gutted by the end of the Game, while he still had a bunch of stuff around, I had the edge as far as all the victory conditions for another 11 Points.

Thinking back over the last dozen or so games I've played with variations on this list, I think I really want to get some Flamers, and maybe some Blasts in there. Almost every game I've played with it, I've wanted something like that, either for straight up crowd control, or to get stuff that was in good Cover, or to use No Escape to clear dudes out of Buildings/Open Topped Transports.

I'm also thinking of ditching the Centurions. They're good against tough stuff, but I've found myself much more often having to deal with stuff that's not just relying on Armour for resilience (Daemons, Canoptek Crons, Jinking stuff when I don't manage to roll up Perfect Timing, etc.), and they've been, overall, not bad exactly, but not great. Even if I do keep them around, I'm probably trimming the Marine part down to an Allied Detachment, and I might go back to pure Wolves.

Maybe something like:

Rune Priest, Lvl2, Combi-Melta, Meltabombs
5 GH, CCW, Meltagun, Combi-Melta, Meltabombs, Drop Pod
5 GH, CCW, Plasmagun, Combi-Plasma, Meltabombs, Drop Pod

10 GH, CCW, 2xFlamer, Combi-Flamer, Meltabombs, Drop Pod

10 GH, CCW, 2xMeltagun, Combi-Melta, Meltabombs, Drop Pod
10 GH, CCW, 2xPlasmagun, Combi-Plasma, Meltabombs, Drop Pod
7 BC, Flamer, StormWolf w/MM
Dread, MM/HF, Drop Pod, Locator Beacon, DeathWind Launcher
5 WG, 5xCombi-Melta, 3xMeltabombs, Drop Pod, Locator Beacon, DeathWind Launcher

idk, gotta mess with it, maybe try to get a more solid CC Unit in there or something. Beacons and DeathWinds are on the non-OS Pods to try to mess with target priority a bit more. I know the DeathWinds are expensive and short-ranged, but, again, there have been a bunch of times in the last 6 months when they would have been really nice, even just to force people to spread out more.

• Like 1

It's not just about the Orks. They would have been really nice against those Venoms in round three, and one of the few sketchy bits in my first game was dealing with a bunch of Stealers holed up in good Cover. Last Tournament, they would have been really handy at a couple of spots against the Khorne list I played round one, and again against all those Scarabs in round three. Heck, they even would have been nice to have against the White Scars, because once I've forced a Jink, they're more efficient for finishing a Squad off than Plasma or Melta. Go back to the Ambassador Tournament, and three out of four games there, Flamers would have have been great for me, clearing out Plaguebearers in Cover, throwing extra hits through the Fire Points on that Redoubt, and getting Gaunts out of the way.

• Like 1