To say that spending $420 on model kits just be not be allowed to play them is frustrating, would be an understatement. And from the tenor of this thread, there doesn't seem to be an end in sight to this. 

This is a really old 40k issue. GW makes a unit/army obsolete/unreasonable with a, "update" in a codex, FAQ, BRB or WD, so you've got amazing models that can't be fielded against reasonable opponents. Welcome to 40k.

Yes I have tried playing with some of the folks at Guardian. It was not a.... positive experience. Indeed, when they had told me that they were part of Ordo Fanaticus, I stayed away from this club for 2 years.

When I met Nathan at RC he convinced me to give Ordo a second chance. And I am glad I did. The community here has been more akin to the community in the Cog Collective. However, a post game beer pilgrimage would be a welcome change (and I would be happy to lead it.).

I guess what I am trying to say is this: are the army requirements for OFCC my call? Nope, and I happily accept that.

However, I a disappointed in the decision being made and decided to voice it.

Take it for what you will. :)

• Like 1

Yes I have tried playing with some of the folks at Guardian. It was not a.... positive experience. Indeed, when they had told me that they were part of Ordo Fanaticus, I stayed away from this club for 2 years.

Are you the guy running the 3 imperial knights, 4 assassins, and allied Militarium Tempestus? We certainly had one of those at guardian for a while and the list was very much unpleasant to face.

No. I don't have any assassins, or AM units. Just three bright orange Imperial Knights.

I'm glad you have fun with that fine group of gamers. They seem to be having fun as they have pretty regular attendance. I however, did not have fun. And I know quite a few people that also did not have fun. One gentleman sold all of his 40K after playing there, and now pretty much only plays WHFB. So my experience was, and is, not unique. 

I don't mind constructive criticism.  

The OFCC team event caters to more casual gamers and tends to try and not allow lots of extreme lists.  What gets in or doesn't get in is always a cause for hand wringing and endless threads on the boards here as people complain about lists that got in compared to lists that weren't.  At the end of the day, the List Rating Committee has to make calls, and we do our best.  

I certainly understand the annoyance of having your entire army being barred from entry to an event by people's opinions.  That's pretty [big bad swear word]ty feeling, and I can't deny that.  

As all of us have alluded to, multiple knights are not the end-all/be-all WAAC army of 40k.  Far from it.  We easily recognize their weaknesses, especially in light of using the bonus VP from HP loss that ITC uses (and OFCC team event is using as well).  In a lot of ways, a superheavy or GC is a liability in that format.  

More than anything, OFCC team event is a haven for garage-gamer types.  People like me who used to game competitively but don't have the time or money to fight with the big boys anymore.  We have a big collection that mostly gathers dust.  Such a population tends to lean conservative in their perceptions of the game as we tend to be older.  So, it's fair to say that most OFCC team players view Super Heavies and Flyers with some trepidation or outright dislike.  Flyers have slowly gained acceptance an edition later, and I feel like Knights will too, probably in 2016 if I have to guess.  

• Like 1

When I met Nathan at RC he convinced me to give Ordo a second chance. And I am glad I did. The community here has been more akin to the community in the Cog Collective. However, a post game beer pilgrimage would be a welcome change (and I would be happy to lead it.).

I guess what I am trying to say is this: are the army requirements for OFCC my call? Nope, and I happily accept that.

Take it for what you will. :)

I've run into some really unpleasant people at Guardian Games, but there are some nice ones also and the store is pretty awesome. My philosophy is, everyone has a bad day.  The ones that are brusque one day can be great the next (and that has happened to me, to my very pleasant surprise).  Getting to actually know people instead of taking a post or ten from a Forum or maybe one bad game as proof of anything isn't a great reason to steer clear for two years.  =)  Welcome!

Integrating into the group of players is tough to do in some places, but maybe if you seek out the "organizer guys" and ask them to show you around and introduce you and what not, it will be easier?  I don't live in Portland so I have never had anyone do that for me, but it works well here in Olympia.  I usually make a big deal out of helping new players get on the forums and getting them info on the next tournament and getting their phone numbers so that we can communicate on gaming.  I'm a natural networker though so maybe that's just me.  But I have to think there is someone like that at Guardian who could facilitate it.

After OFCC we will be starting another ordo 40 K league. I think it will be a ladder or a pyramid league this time around. All legal armies, including knights, will be permitted. You should play.

Also, are you signed up for the Annihilation? Knight armies welcome there too.

• Like 1

No. I don't have any assassins, or AM units. Just three bright orange Imperial Knights.

I'm glad you have fun with that fine group of gamers. They seem to be having fun as they have pretty regular attendance. I however, did not have fun. And I know quite a few people that also did not have fun. One gentleman sold all of his 40K after playing there, and now pretty much only plays WHFB. So my experience was, and is, not unique. 

I believe you when you say you've had bad experiences. Many have. We've got a mix of players there, with some bringing hard as nails lists and others bringing soft fluffy lists. I have had good and bad experiences at GG.

I would suggest giving it another shot, as the person running it (Joel) has been replaced by the Ordo member CaptainA (guy who ran the guardian cup). Joel's happy, as he's now got two days off in a row. Captain A is allowing FW and I think we're going to end up with a more WOW game night like atmosphere. We'll see, but I've got high hopes.

As for the 3-knight lists, you really need to understand that an imperial knights army represents at least 3 things that players often strongly dislike about 6th/7th. That would super heavies, D weapons, and multiple super heavies.

I'd strongly suggest that non-TO playing with knight armies to include joke/silly units for the other points in a 3-man knight unit, for the purposes of softening the presence of the knight army. Things with lots of random tables, or units that aren't worth the points, but are very fluffy and cool, can really soften an army which has imposing units. That said, the imperial knight army is just a tough one to make soft. I'm not sure it can be done.

To each his own, I suppose. Try playing at WOW then. There's a game night every week and, as AgentP said, they will have a league soon.

Integrating into the group of players is tough to do in some places, but maybe if you seek out the "organizer guys" and ask them to show you around and introduce you and what not, it will be easier?  I don't live in Portland so I have never had anyone do that for me, but it works well here in Olympia.  I usually make a big deal out of helping new players get on the forums and getting them info on the next tournament and getting their phone numbers so that we can communicate on gaming.  I'm a natural networker though so maybe that's just me.  But I have to think there is someone like that at Guardian who could facilitate it.

WOW is good for this, all the big Ordo guys play there. Aaron at Guardian would be good there.

At 1850, I was thinking:

Castigator
Acheron
Errant w/ Melta Gun
Gallant w/ Melta Gun
Gallant w/ Melta Gun

With Mark of Omni going on the Warlord.  At 1850, I can't fit the first two and have a total of 5 Knights without taking Twin Gallants, but it doesn't leave enough points to make the Errant a Crusader.  

This list isn't for OFCC, if the 1850 didn't give it away.  I'm building towards 1850 since it's the ITC standard, at the moment, and having a standard can only be a positive thing when the 40k scene is on life support down here.  Taking 4 Knights, the Acheron, Castigator, and two fully pimped Crusaders only comes in at 1735 pts.  I'd have to take the Exalted court and maxed out Relics, and I'd still only come in at 1835.  I feel like the 5th Knight is needed for Body Count, but it severally reduces my shooting output, while increasing melee, making it an extremely aggressive list.  If I go with the Household Detachment, everyone having Objective Secure would make the Gallants quite a bit more useful to me alive, and holding my side of the table.  

Thoughts?

• Like 1

At 5 Knights, I don't have the points for Anti Air, unless I do something like:

Castigator Sanctuary

Acheron

Gallant

Gallant Icarus

Gallant Icarus

Builds are still completely open.  I'm assembling my first Knight.  I'm going to magnetize the weapons as much as I can.  Although part of me wants to just make this one a Mini-Reaver because Mini-Reaver.

The Acheron isn't required, just desired.  The Castigator is going to be the "center piece" as it were.

Castigator

Crusader

Errant/Warden

Gallant

Gallant

It seems as though, at 1850, 4 knights is going to be more effective, but 5 will look more impressive.  

4 Knights, including the Castigator, has wasted points.  

380 Castigator 

465 Crusader, Battle Cannon, Icarus

465 Crusader, Battle Cannon, Icarus 

415 Warden, Stormspear 

125 points available like that.  130 if the Warden takes an Icarus instead of the Stormspear.  Would an Inquisitor be a boon or a burden, at that point?