Necrons and their top tier lists

derek

So necrons apparently have really nasty top tier lists so what do these lists have in them because I hear the itc is changing things and I will be honest I'm not impressed with the fact that they're changing anything for necrons seeing as they're allowing that battle company and all. I have also been reading about the skyhammer formation and getting turn 1 assault and stuff. So as a necrons player how do I deal with the cheese spewing fourth from gw. I'll be honest any more changes to the necrons codex and I might just say it's time to throw in the towel with the itc

• Like 1

The change is in how the tomb spyder in the Canoptek Harvest functions.  Even with the change, Necrons are still very competitive.  Common top necron builds are decurion, with a nasty deathstar type unit, some hard to kill warriors, and some wraiths in canoptek harvest adding pressure.  As for the deathstar unit, for example I've had good success running 10 lychguard with war scythes attached to a royal court which included Vanguard Obyron, an Overlord with a war scythe, a veil, and a res orb, plus a Cryptek with a solar staff.  

It's pretty self explanatory to me you need to be within 12 inches at the start of the player turn to get the benefit from the Spyder if you can't continue to stay within 12 inches by the next turn then you lose your ability to get the special rule next turn Idk what needs to get changed because you get it until the following turn. What other options do I have to try besides a big death star because to me thats just lazy 40k you're not really using "tactics" just saying alright this unit will carry the game along with key units to support it.

I apologize if I am coming off as aggressive or argumentative just explaining how I feel about certain things and what I feel I wanna do because I'm not a big death star fan. The itc to me is just picking and choosing what armies get buffs and what ones dont I get that the harvest formation is mean but come on it doesn't need a nerf in any manner.

Not a fan of the ITC's rules. Seems poorly written and even with updates, seems to rely mostly on word of mouth to get answers to questions. I don't like the idea of using a shoddy FAQ to solve the shoddy GW rules....

ITC certainly seems to endorse putting all your points into a few units.

Big blocks of Warriors in a Decurion (or with Crypteks) with Ghost Ark support are incredibly difficult to remove, and can hurt anything in the Game. Immortals in Scythes to cover your Anti-Air and grab Objectives. Tomb Blades with Nebuloscopes, Shield Vanes, and either Gauss or Particle Beamers. Destroyers, either in a Cult or just on their own. Wraiths, even with the ITC nerf, are still excellent. Vargard ObyronNemesor Zahndrek is kind of the default top-tier commander, because he can be so flexible. Lychguard with Dispersion Shields, even if not pumped all the way up to be a DeathStar. Mix and match stuff from there until you hit your Points limit, and you can't go too far wrong.

Necrons aren't really a complex Army. The buffs and combos are pretty clear, it's just a matter of making sure you've got all the basic Roles covered (which they do pretty easily, thanks to Gauss and Night Scythes), and then it comes down to solid play on the Table.

Well the part that irks me about the itc right now is allowing the battle company because it's still duplicating a formation even if it is a new formation that's just a blatant disregard for the rules they set up. I wish they would just quit with all the random things they do I get it prevents "spam" but you're not because you're allowing free transports so isn't that a spam in itself. Jet bikes are still spammed and now marines get to bring two really solid formations that can decimate alot of armies unless you had a really good counter like having a few canoptek harvests would be because the whole formation has fearless units in it. Personally for me I think the itc needs to go back now that fantasy is taking over and thoroughly look at every brand new codex and see what they want to do with them now that we have a long wait before anything new comes out And let the community decide if they wanna fight that limited release skyhammer formation or if they wanna fight a battle company that gets like 40 objective secured units. Yea bike spam is mean and I totally agree with them but this is just irritating to see because the tournament scene I can play in around here is mainly just itc format unless I travel to lord hanars tournaments (which are very solid and very enjoyable btw) probably because of the loose restrictions on the game and everything. But I'm probably just gonna travel north now and play cause I'm fed up with itc taking over the whole meta around Vancouver and portland

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Even with nerds necrons are really good as outlined above.

The ruling on marines is a bit lopsided I agree that is by far the most powerful build in my opinion.

Itc is seasonal so it will be reevaluated. Express your concerns to then maybe next years will be better. Props for them trying.

Necrons do not give half a [big bad swear word] about the Skyhammer formation- they start with only their Wraiths on the board (plus any characters) and if you wanna throw a bunch of ASM and Devs right down there for them to eat, that is absolutely fine with the Necron player.

I'm not sure if they have a way to deal with the Battle Company, though. That's way too many ObSec units for them to clear off before the game ends.

Ok so besides those few units people have said is there anything else worth looking at in the codex. I personally like the deathbringer flight for some super strong anti tank because of the Lance s10 ap1 approach. Has anyone looked into how you can manipulate reanimation rolls with the decurion and crypteks? Being able to pretty much always pass unless you roll a 1. Since you can never have better than a 4 up roll but crypteks can manipulate it so in theory you can have a 2 up. Just due to the wording

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Ok so besides those few units people have said is there anything else worth looking at in the codex. I personally like the deathbringer flight for some super strong anti tank because of the Lance s10 ap1 approach. Has anyone looked into how you can manipulate reanimation rolls with the decurion and crypteks? Being able to pretty much always pass unless you roll a 1. Since you can never have better than a 4 up roll but crypteks can manipulate it so in theory you can have a 2 up. Just due to the wording

A 2 up pseudo feel no pain and you wondering if necrons are still good?

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Oh ok. Yeah they still have top tier builds. Three best dex from my opinion are in this order elder, space marines, necrons. Dark angels might knock them out, haven't read their dex yet.

Nobody can winning he scoring attrition better than marines now

Nobody can hold the board better and survive than elder. Battle focus is just crazy good.

Necrons I think have the best deathstar and fliers.

Marines might be better as none they can deny fairly well by contesting.

So does anyone disagree with what I said about making the roll better than a 4+ with modifiers it can be interpreted in different manners depending in how you read the rule I see it as I can get a bonus and pass the roll on a 2 due to modifiers but my friend says no you need a 4 on the dice to pass so any ideas?

Cryptecs can take relics, and are cheap characters and hq slots. Necrons have so few actual characters.

Also, I own a necrons army as well as a few others and will proudly announce,that in my opinion, the itc ruling on them is totally legit, and not a huge nerf hammer hit. They are very very strong, at times without even trying.