Dreads with helfrost cannons?

Just wondering if the helfrost cannons are viable on SW dreads. Never seen them fielded. Bjorn can take one, as can the normal SW dreads. Thoughts?

I have no opinion, for the record. I can't decide if they are viable, or not, on my own.

I`ve dropped Bjorn in on turn one a few times and the HF cannon never lets me down.I should mention that in the cases ive used it,the str test hasn't been a factor as it was either focusing on a vehicle with the single target profile or using the blast on single wound models that would die anyway.

I`ve dropped Bjorn in on turn one a few times and the HF cannon never lets me down.I should mention that in the cases ive used it,the str test hasn't been a factor as it was either focusing on a vehicle with the single target profile or using the blast on single wound models that would die anyway.

Strength test ability seems very unimpressive. It's a neat extra, but that isn't the main appeal.

I think west had it right, it's a half way point between a plasma cannon and a multi-melta, and that does appeal.

For those with out experience what are the two fire modes?

both 24"

S6 ap3 blast

and

S8 ap 1

Then unsaved wounds cause strength checks. Fails on the strength test remove from play.

both 24"

S6 ap3 blast

and

S8 ap 1

Then unsaved wounds cause strength checks. Fails on the strength test remove from play.

So it's a Multi-melta at 12.1" and further. It's also a plasma cannon against PA space marines.

It doesn't get hot, it can snap, and it's not a melta weapon, so the rare few things immune to melta aren't affect(silly, but this last one appeals to me).

The Strength test is a neat extra, but I think it's pretty nifty without it. Still, having never seen SW players field them, the question of viability seemed very legit.

That is a nice option, color me jealous. But I totally see why it isn't super popular, not efficient enough points/cash wise.

SW have some cool dread options.

They have that, plus a DCCW upgrade that gives it shred (dunno why, but my dreads do seem to fail to wound on 2+ a fair amount. If something can go wrong....). Only 5pts and that's on a dread that is 5pts cheaper than the normal dreads. That said, the new SM and DA books have much better dread profiles for that +5pt cost.

And they have that "Blizzard Shield" option that gives them a dread with a 3++ to the front arc (which means a 3++ in melee).

Plus they've got two character dreads. Yeah, SW color me jealous too, in their dread options. Part of why it saddens me that they never get fielded....