Your favorite edition of WFB rules

6th edition was the best... right up to the skaven release. They spoiled it then 7th came and vampire counts started some serious escalation  :smile: . Basicially, there was a 3-4 year sweet spot where everything was rainbows (unless you played dark elves... but they got their time in the sun). :biggrin:

I think Sigmar's looking pretty cool because it always takes me 10+ hours just to paint a single model anyways. I haven't played a game in a years but I'm looking forward to Saturday!

• Like 1

And what did 8th do to balance that Mojo?

It just swung to the other extreme. No matter how crafty the blood knights were and if they maneuvered to charge you in the flank or rear, combat just boils down to whether or not you can make your (rerollable) Steadfast. You can blunder those dwarfs forward and into any situation you want - the order of attack, the number of models that can attack, the combat resolution is almost the same.

There's also the bit that, in 8th, I just put my champion on one flank and make way with my vamp lord on the other and likely still beat the dwarfs. I'm not saying 7th was a perfect edition and indeed the external balance between books was the weakest point, but it most certainly was a more tactical game with 8th having many of the same external balance issues.

As a dwarf player 8th was more fun because you actually felt you could pull off a win. 8th is good but tactically week. Combine the 2 and you've got a damn good game.

My thoughts exactly although I'd also throw in a bit of 6th for the alternative lists angle.

• Like 1

6th edition was the best... right up to the skaven release. They spoiled it then 7th came and vampire counts started some serious escalation  :smile: . Basicially, there was a 3-4 year sweet spot where everything was rainbows (unless you played dark elves... but they got their time in the sun). :biggrin:

I think Sigmar's looking pretty cool because it always takes me 10+ hours just to paint a single model anyways. I haven't played a game in a years but I'm looking forward to Saturday!

Agree +1 on 6th. Ravening Hoardes was awesome and it was about units not being over powered it was tactics. Really loved the balance until books started to creep...

• Like 1

i think 6th and 7th had a great magic system.  You didnt have to take a level 4 mage to be competitive.   You could build your list with anti magic stuff such as the spawning of tepok for lizardmen.  The nuke spells just dont make for a fun game imo.  Those werent really around in 6th and 7th.  

• Like 2

Even though I rarely play anymore, I enjoy the 8th edition rules. I played 3rd edition way back when and did not play again until the 8th...a big difference.

I am bummed that AoS has really dumbed-down the game. I wish GeeDub would've just made that a companion game that would get 'the kids' into playing fantasy and then grooming them to play the 'big boy' game...

i think 6th and 7th had a great magic system.  You didnt have to take a level 4 mage to be competitive.   You could build your list with anti magic stuff such as the spawning of tepok for lizardmen.  The nuke spells just dont make for a fun game imo.  Those werent really around in 6th and 7th.  

My issue with 6th was the OP movement spells like TK's move spell, Dance Macabre, and Slaanesh Enrapturing Spasms or whatever.  Too good.  And also the funky lack of structure around their spells... the concept of "hex", "direct damage", etc. should have been there long ago to avoid all the slightly different and ambiguous wording.

I do agree that the "mandatory L4" is lame, but I think the system overall is much more playable than prior editions.  The "IF dwellers FTW" is kinda more legend than reality with modern army builds, and I find the magic phase highly tactical and flavorful.  I just wish miscasts scaled with number of dice thrown... the two most irritating moments in 8th ed magic are a 2-dice miscast that blows your army up, and a 6-dice miscast that does nothing :)

• Like 1

Sure any mechanic that scaled risk with reward would be smart.  Right now a L4 casting a minor buff has the same change of a Dimensional Cascade as an L1 calling forth all the winds of chaos to roll 6 dice at a boosted uber spell.  Which isn't intrinsically bad just because it "seems silly" (because magic is actually not logical) but is bad because it takes the nuance out of decision making (throwing 6 is too often the obvious best choice)

Most definately...I played a number of lists with no magic at all and they could work.

• Like 1