Leaving Fantasy For 40k. Help Please

Krieger

I am done with fantasy and i want to start playing 40k. I have painted up 500 points of Dark Eldar and I own enough to play 1850. I have played a few games but would like to start attending events like I have been with fantasy for the pas few years.

I live in the Eugene area but I am use to traveling to Portland, Salem, and WA for events. Can someone recommend any events?

General tips and advice is also much appreciated.

• Like 1

I am done with fantasy and i want to start playing 40k. I have painted up 500 points of Dark Eldar and I own enough to play 1850. I have played a few games but would like to start attending events like I have been with fantasy for the pas few years.

I live in the Eugene area but I am use to traveling to Portland, Salem, and WA for events. Can someone recommend any events?

General tips and advice is also much appreciated.

Welcome.

Do you play competitive or for fun? Is tweaking a list just right your gig? Or is blending a new highlight of this sorta useless model more to your liking? The reason I ask is because there are two distinct places to play in the Portland area. If you're into more fluff driven games, I would recommend coming to WOW. There is a thread elsewhere to tell you more about the clubhouse. If you lean toward the more competitive bend, then Guardian Games will be your better gaming realm.

As far as tips for Dark Eldar, someone else will have to help you with the playing aspect. If you have any questions on painting tips, I am more suited to that. (Should you be an inexperienced painter, mind you)

Either way, OFCC is a great event. It is comped and really more of a drinking event with plastic toys and fat, sweaty nerds. (Myself included) There is even a competitive event that is run alongside the team event. If you have more questions regarding it, head over to the OFCC thread in this forum.

Again, welcome.

-Chappy

Isn't it too late to register?

I was mostly joking, as that would be the one event for 40k that an ordo fantasy player would already know about.

If you are very ambitious, you might be still able to get on a team that has lost members, but you'd need a fully painted army, experience playing 40k, and to find that team. Very, very ambitious.

Next year, on the other hand, very attainable.

Thank you! I like both competitive and fluff driven depending on my mood. I will say I usually enjoy list building more then painting, but the better I have gotten at painting and the older I get the more I enjoy a friendly game and a great looking army. Sounds like I will have to check out the 40k scene at WOW and Guardian.

There's also a friendly-charity 40K event in early November in Vancouver, WA, as well. I -assume- it's going to be pretty laid-back. :)

If you're planning to be in the North Portland/Vancouver area and looking for a game, feel free to toss out a message to see who is available. There are plenty of places to play. I even have plenty room for a game at my place if nothing else works out. :)

• Like 2

September 1st we start a 12 week ladder league at WoW, which will run on Tuesdays.  See here.  There is also a 40k league at Guardian that runs every Wed night.  Check out the Guardian Games 40k players Facebook group here.

Welcome to the 40k side of life.  As a former long-time fantasy player myself, I think you'll like it.  7th Edition 40k is the most fun I've had in tabletop games in a long time.

• Like 1

The darkcity.net is a good place for everything dark eldar. I play dark eldar pretty regularly and would be willing to help a fellow archon if that's something you want to do. I have just about everything in the dark eldar lone just missing beast pack models.

• Like 1

Hey Kreiger

We have the charity Tourney in November if you are interested in bringing the Dark Kin up to Vancouver WA for a fun 3 round tourney. You are more than welcome to come up for the day and have the most relaxed tournament in the local area to get your teeth into 40k with some awesome people who are encouraged to help you out. 

Sam

• Like 1

The darkcity.net is a good place for everything dark eldar. I play dark eldar pretty regularly and would be willing to help a fellow archon if that's something you want to do. I have just about everything in the dark eldar lone just missing beast pack models.

Don't know anything about that site, but I have noticed that sites dedicated to a particular race tend towards understanding's of rules that can be very questionable to players of other armies in the game.

Had a local necron player that was going to some necron-only site and he'd insist (in game) on the oddest rules interpretations. He's the only example in recent memory, so grain of salt and all.

Point is, don't use a race-only site as your only source of 40k knowledge, as they can be bias, at times. They can still be very useful.

The dark city is mainly focused on dark eldar but I can tell you from their posts they do discuss other armies they're not centered around dark eldar but that would be the main topic of discussion. (If that is any way a weird sentence I apologize I'm exhausted today so brain isn't fuctioning well)

Thanks again everyone. I got a spot at the OFCC team event.

I have my list submitted, I am on track to get the last few vehicles painted , and I can't wait to get my butt kicked all weekend lol.

Hopefully I will see some of you there.

Yes! A new skull for the skull throne.....er.....uh.....I mean, welcome. Yeah. Great to hear you will be joining us.

-Chappy

• Like 1

you traitor wiley! going to the circle base side... oh wait, so is fantasy. darn it i can use that line anymore. GW!!!! jk. glad you found a spot and will be at ofcc. thats all what matters...

Thanks man lol! I'll make sure I come visit you guys on the "historical war gaming" side.