Kings of War sound off

jesselowe

As an FYI.

To backers of the KS:

There will be a complete rulebook as a PDF sent to you guys (backers) in the next couple of weeks. Nobody else will be able to get this full version digitally for free.

Everyone else:

Try Kings of War For Free 
The free-to-download rules have all the basic rules and a selection of units from across each army, as well as few examples of the deeper levels of the game, so of course there is more – quite a bit more…

So it appears that the army lists for download today are more like "get you by" lists. I don't think they are complete lists for those armies. For one, there are no magic items anywhere (not in the army lists, not in the rules). So that leaves me to believe that these are just partial lists to get people to try things out. As a kickstarter backer, I'll be getting a full rulebook pdf soon, and I'll be able to confirm this.

So it appears that the army lists for download today are more like "get you by" lists. I don't think they are complete lists for those armies. For one, there are no magic items anywhere (not in the army lists, not in the rules). So that leaves me to believe that these are just partial lists to get people to try things out. As a kickstarter backer, I'll be getting a full rulebook pdf soon, and I'll be able to confirm this.

The free-to-download rules have all the basic rules and a selection of units from across each army, as well as few examples of the deeper levels of the game, so of course there is more – quite a bit more

Emphasis mine. :)

What's actually rather cool is Ronnie is actively replying on Facebook... 

Ronnie Renton - Richard Heath I gave seen you email. I an sorry you feel misled but I don't think we could have been any clearer. These are the 'free to try' rules with all the rules from the game. The army lists have everything in the army sets plus extra bits and any obvious units that people normally have in other armies. Magic items are always eirher excluded from the give aways or a little taster is put in. I think throughout we have been saying 'Try it' with free rules and this is that. We are keeping some of new units back for the full launch next month. 

Ronnie Renton - All the army lists will be complete in both the hardback and soft back books. In the coming weeks we will be showing off all the new units and featuring each army so we can keep up the focus. We have always has leave selected bits out of the free downloads otherwise the retailers refuse to stock the book. It has always been a balancing act between offering enough to give the game a try and introduce new people and not for you to have to buy the book until you know it is a purchase you want to make. 

Ronnie Renton - So Richard Heath will everything be free - no. Will the rules be free - yes. Will all the armies have all their core units and a heap of colourful units in an army list to download for free. Yes. Will you have to buy the book to try it - nope. But do I want you to have reason to buy the book if you like the game - yes. I need that to be the case to be able to keep making more. I try to give as much as it is possible to give while still having bits saved for the print of paid for download edition. 

Ronnie Renton - Thanks all. I will put up a FB post explaining what I have said here. Clearly the expectations were higher than we realised - but we can always add bit not take away. I feel honour bound to send the backers their complete copies first before everything is up for everyone. 

Ronnie Renton - And more is coming so 5hanks for being patient. 

Not a big deal. Final version of the Beta lists are here, and it looks like they've changed nothing on what was released:

And the minor faction lists that won't be in the rule book and are still being worked on are here:

The rules you downloaded are complete, so there you are. Not everything is in a nice neat PDF, but you still have the lists right there.

Posted on facebook. 

Ronnie Renton hi, sorry if i have upset anyone. We have clearly miscommunicated about these free rules. All the rules (moving and shooting and fighting, nerve) are ALL there. There are the main untis and few elites for each army, so everyone can give the rules a go with whatever army they have - be it a new mantic army set or an existing one. These are streamlined so new people trying the game can take a few units and give the game a go. a 'try before you have to buy' idea. In time these army lists will be upgraded with cool new units that we will unveil over the next few weeks up to the actual book/game launch - and even then we'll keep a few suprises so people can be excited by the book once they get it.

I *love* that you don't take models off until the whole unit is removed.  That's such a break from trying to put models back on after the game.  Also, less fiddling with each unit.  

Gotta say, I think that this is going to be something I buy into at some point.  I like the rules for the dwarves (Tolkien spelling always) and I've always wanted to play as a dwarf.  

The thing that really draws me towards considering KoW is the unit size/all in/all out concept. As a modeler I read that as "Your units are mini-dioramas!"

Sure 30 Dwarves standing shoulder to shoulder can look cool but 15 Dwarves guarding a cart piled with legs of ale looks cooler*

*In my opinion**

**Afore mentioned opinion is also influenced by me being a cheap bastard

• Like 2

The thing that really draws me towards considering KoW is the unit size/all in/all out concept. As a modeler I read that as "Your units are mini-dioramas!"

Sure 30 Dwarves standing shoulder to shoulder can look cool but 15 Dwarves guarding a cart piled with legs of ale looks cooler*

*In my opinion**

**Afore mentioned opinion is also influenced by me being a cheap bastard

I was pretty bummed at the loss of movement trays with AoS, because I had the idea of using my metal Valten model as a statue in my block of Halberdiers. Looks like I might get that chance after all!

...not to mention I had already got the unit ranked up and magnetized before it got put on hold while I waited for AoS.

I was pretty bummed at the loss of movement trays with AoS, because I had the idea of using my metal Valten model as a statue in my block of Halberdiers. Looks like I might get that chance after all!

...not to mention I had already got the unit ranked up and magnetized before it got put on hold while I waited for AoS.

You -can- still use your movement trays. You don't -have- to rank your guys shoulder-to-shoulder, but there's nothing I've seen to stop you from doing it.

Once you get into combat, though, you will likely pile-in, pulling some models off the tray to get more troops into combat. In the games I've seen them used, or used them myself, it definitely helps. :)

You -can- still use your movement trays. You don't -have- to rank your guys shoulder-to-shoulder, but there's nothing I've seen to stop you from doing it.

Once you get into combat, though, you will likely pile-in, pulling some models off the tray to get more troops into combat. In the games I've seen them used, or used them myself, it definitely helps. :)

I plan to keep 4 or so for AoS early movement while the rest of them will become dioramas for KoW:)

• Like 1

I plan to keep 4 or so for AoS early movement while the rest of them will become dioramas for KoW:)

Not a bad idea at all. :)

I figure once you start piling in, guys are gonna start dying anyway so you have less to move, and eventually the movement tray can come off the board.

And since I have yet to see any area-effect weapons, ranking your guys up like WHFB units has no negative side-effect that I've seen yet. You just aren't -required- to rank them up like that anymore.

The KOW mechanic for removing models/bases is really intriguing, though. Hoping to get a demo/game in this summer. :)

• Like 1

Just read over the rules a couple times and j must say they look really solid☺. Only bummer is there is no lizardmen or beastmen . Guess I'll just have to wait until their army rules come out. Also with all the interest in KoW maybe it should get its own section on the forums

Ryan, the beastmen (and Skaven, and Empire+halflings) are in beta right now. To give you an idea of what they might look like:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XgQY5vVHs_V19N_2lsrpk59SIF9hi6_KDBqkmyitRro/htmlview

• Like 2

For the alliance rules, your faction list specific abilities are only for those "race lists" and not the entire army right? For example, if you took undead/goblins the goblins would not receive life leach (1). I just want to make sure I'm interpreting that correctly.