Units of ICs.....?

Hate to bring up that IC thing again, but if I've got a unit just ICs, as the BRB totally says we can do, but the ICs are from a mix of factions, what faction are they for the purposes of being a unit? All? None? One by majority? Player's pick? Or do I declare which IC is the Original "unit" they all joined?

More so, for the purposes of abilities and effects which target "units" of a particular faction.

Only precedence I can find is Preferred enemy (specific faction), which only requires a single model in the unit to have that faction in order of affect that entire unit.

I'd be happy with an ITC ruling on this one, as I really don't think it's conclusively in the BRB.

Reading through the new Space Marine codex I noticed that if an IC from say an Imperial Fists detachment, joins a unit of Ultramarines...

Then the unit is considered to be neither Ultramarines, nor Imperial Fists. See pg. 189 under Chapter Tactics.

It was very specific in mentioning 'unit' in this rule. So if two IC's joined one unit, then they would be considered neither faction delineation for that combined unit. Not sure how to treat it for two non-Space Marines factions joining up, but at least this gives some piece of mind for Space Marines.

Reading through the new Space Marine codex I noticed that if an IC from say an Imperial Fists detachment, joins a unit of Ultramarines...

Then the unit is considered to be neither Ultramarines, nor Imperial Fists. See pg. 189 under Chapter Tactics.

It was very specific in mentioning 'unit' in this rule. So if two IC's joined one unit, then they would be considered neither faction delineation for that combined unit. Not sure how to treat it for two non-Space Marines factions joining up, but at least this gives some piece of mind for Space Marines.

Yes, they are neither for CHAPTER TACTICs, but there are a dozen other faction related effects which don't change with attached ICs. The Chapter Tactics special rule is only nerfing itself, it doesn't change the FACTION of the model (right?).

So, here's another, SW Ragnar Blackmane has his War Howl Special rule

Ragnar and all models with the Space Wolves Faction in his unit have the Furious Charge special rule.

Although not really a precedence, it does strongly imply that models retain factions while in units.

The Models certainly do, there are a number of other Rules worded like that. The Faction of the Unit as a whole, tho, is undefined.

So, sake of argument, is GW just simplifying rules which would normally be conferred to every model in the unit if only one model was affected?

Example, Furious charge is resolve by the model with FC, so the above "War Howl" would only affect models.

The DA dark shroud, in example, confers stealth and fear to the unit. Both stealth and fear only require a single model in the unit to have stealth/fear for the entire unit of benefit.

So saying the DA darkshroud confers stealth and shrouded to models with the DA faction would just confuse the rule, right? Because it it added to models, then it would affect units.

Very RAI, but if true, perhaps the unit has the faction of all the models within (with regards to things that specifically affect the unit). Certainly seems in line with preferred enemy.

As for chapter tactics, the Ultramarines don't lose their faction while being attached to Ravenguard(right?). They just lose the chapter bonuses.