Just a heads up that the international Warhammer community is looking toward some sort of a living, fan-made rulebook for Fantasy as an alternative to AoS. I'm actually cautiously optimistic about this. The Warhammer community has some large bodies that are well organized, including the ETC, Masters, and Swedish Comp groups. If all of them get on the same page it could easily get traction in the larger community. What it really needs is enough buy-in that it takes root.

As an example of how this could work, I'm reminded of Blood Bowl. The rulebook has been in the hands of the fans for a long while now, and as a result it's one of the most solid, fun, balanced (or intentionally unbalanced in places with the team tiers) rule sets that I've ever come across. My understanding is that a necromunda had received a similar treatment, and is all the better for it.

Here's part of the conversation: http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=129642&sid=074a9ea3adb60c1563a5312ab83ebfcd

• Like 5

Ha. Fluger and I get two points. :)

Yeah, outside of going back to 7th, this is the best possible scenario.  

GW always puts out games with warts if you want a solid, tournament ruleset.  

If the community could find a way to rebalance the game wtih better points for units/upgrades/items then we'd all be better for it.  I've been out on 8th, so I don't know what's what, but in 7th, there were obviously underpriced units and overpriced units.  If we could get a consensus on lowering/raising points to balance things, then I think the games would be better.  

Fantasy has always had comp events because GW never could balance things with rules to make the games look like the fluff.  I think the Fantasy community could do that better.  No need for OFCC list rating, just a near-perfect ruleset with all units being equally worthwhile.  What a world that would be.  

• Like 1