No more Orcs, Elves, and Dwarves...

If you check the GW website you'll see the new names for all the races.

Elves got an 'A' to become Aelfs.

Beastmen stayed Beastmen.

Daemons stayed Daemons.

Dwarves became 'Duardin'

Goblins became 'Grots'

Ogres became 'Ogors' (which looks like it is pronounced 'Ogre', but whatever)

Orcs became Orruks.

Lizardmen of all kinds (Slaan, Saurus, and Skinks) all became 'Seraphon'

Skaven stayed Skaven.

Forest Spirits became 'Sylvaneth'

Trolls became 'Trogoth'

Vampires and Mummies stayed Vampires and Mummies.

One suspects the hand of copyright lawyers at work, much like how almost all the most recent line of paints have GW specific proper names in them.  Maybe they reckon von Carstein and Khemri are copyrightable enough to not change Vampires and Mummies, but keeping Daemons as Beastment as is seem the odd ones out. 

It makes them Sound Cool. :rolleyes:

This whole copyright thing would have never been an issue if GW had given WHFB more attention and didn't wait until its sales fell through the floor. A lot of units didn't even have models, so players had to look at third party miniatures.

GW created their own mess to begin with, they have no one to blame but themselves.

It makes them Sound Cool. :rolleyes:

This whole copyright thing would have never been an issue if GW had given WHFB more attention and didn't wait until its sales fell through the floor. A lot of units didn't even have models, so players had to look at third party miniatures.

GW created their own mess to begin with, they have no one to blame but themselves.

I don't see GW 'blaming' anyone. I see them taking steps to work on the whole 'IP' issue. They should have done this sooner, I agree - but they didn't. And they're doing it now. :)

I'm not sure I see the point IP wise.  Say I am a budding miniatures maker and I want to horn in on the WHFB player base.  Maybe I make some nice character models (like Avatars of War did) or some cheaper trooper sprues (like Kings of War did) and try to sell them to gamers.

Not being able to call my Avatars of War figure an Orruk doesn't seem like it should slow me down any.  GW is still selling orcs, whatever they call them, and my third party "Orc Spearmen" can be used just as easily as GW's "Orruk Waaagh-Stabbers of Mount Wemadeitupandcopyrightedit".

• Like 1

I'm not sure I see the point IP wise. Say I am a budding miniatures maker and I want to horn in on the WHFB player base. Maybe I make some nice character models (like Avatars of War did) or some cheaper trooper sprues (like Kings of War did) and try to sell them to gamers.

Not being able to call my Avatars of War figure an Orruk doesn't seem like it should slow me down any. GW is still selling orcs, whatever they call them, and my third party "Orc Spearmen" can be used just as easily as GW's "Orruk Waaagh-Stabbers of Mount Wemadeitupandcopyrightedit".

And this is exactly why I think the whole Copyright thing is just down right stupid. If you make models that are good, and not just once every 10 years, your player base will buy them. If you have rules for a unit in the rule book and you don't release a model for it you are asking for someone else to do it.

End of story the name don't mean anything and if you produce models regularly, they are a model company after all, then your player base will buy Your product and not from the competitors. If you ignore your player base and just expect them to sit there with no new stuff then expect them to leave the game or buy it from somewhere else. Don't throw a fit and try and blame it on "evil" competitors. GW's lack of making all their products opened the market for them.

Treat your costumers right and they will buy from you loyally. They just haven't figured that part out yet.

I'm not sure I see the point IP wise.  Say I am a budding miniatures maker and I want to horn in on the WHFB player base.  Maybe I make some nice character models (like Avatars of War did) or some cheaper trooper sprues (like Kings of War did) and try to sell them to gamers.

Not being able to call my Avatars of War figure an Orruk doesn't seem like it should slow me down any.  GW is still selling orcs, whatever they call them, and my third party "Orc Spearmen" can be used just as easily as GW's "Orruk Waaagh-Stabbers of Mount Wemadeitupandcopyrightedit".

Personally - I don't understand it either. But I am neither a copyright, trademark, or IP lawyer. For whatever reason, GW is going this direction to rename races and models they've been selling for -decades-. I assume it was on the recommendation of their lawfirm after the decision brought about by the Chapterhouse stuff. Will it help? Will it make a difference? I don't really know. All I know is, nothing we say or do is going to change it. We all know what an 'Ogor' is and we all know what an 'Orruk' is and we all know what a 'Seraphon' is. I bet most of us will continue to use the old names we're used to. :)

I am curious to see what 'changes' they enact on the existing races. I know it will take some time, though - it's not going to happen anytime soon, probably. They are going to hammer the Sigmarites for certain (there are already pics of a new character, demigryph-looking-pet-thing, and the Sigmarite archers. Those will probably come in one of their various waves soon.

-Tim

Not a copyright expert here either, but I know they can't copyright Orc or Dwarf.... and if they changed just the name then people would keep making look-alikes that were called Orc and Dwarf...

I suspect that the new look rumors are true and while similar to an orc or dwarf there will be a certain copyrightable concept that will come with all the new stuff.

I'll give any person at any time in the future $100 if they ever catch me referring to an Orc as an "Orukk" or whatever the F they want to rename them. If that's what they think they need to do...they will do it I suppose. I think it's lame. A GW Orc was already different than other "orcs", only in ,more subtle ways.

If the figures look cool, I'll buy them...if they look like overstuffed video game characters with ubiquitous giant shoulder armor...I won't.

• Like 2

^^   What he said.   However, I've seen you turn even the simplest, crappiest-looking models into great works of art.  As long as what they release has conversion potential they will have people who want it.

As is, I still think the new sigmarites look lame.  Hopefully the other army updates wont follow suit.

• Like 1

Now to figure out who LoF is in real life. :)

He doesn't actuallt exist....he is completely fictitious.

As is, I still think the new sigmarites look lame.  Hopefully the other army updates wont follow suit.

+ 1 million. Technically well done as usual from GW...but easily the most unapealing figures that I've seen from GW in a long time. Maybe the most, now that I think about it. GW has released a dopey figure now and again...but to see them release what is clearly a very important "signature" new range of figures that look so artistically disappointing is really bad to me.

I am just glad you are back on the forums, this is all that really matters.

• Like 1