8th Editions FAQs

Someone asked me tonight for the 8th edition FAQs. Since I can't recall his name, I decided to post them here, for all.

In case you are wondering why this might be necessary, it appears the GW has removed all of the 8th edition FAQs from the BL webiste.

EDIT: Removed dropbox link, Attached files to post. Warhammer errata.zip If that doesn't work for someone I'll revert.

• Like 5

What a bunch of POS they are. We get it that AoS is their new attempt at saving face but why take the FAQ's down immediately? They have to know that AoS is not being receivedvery well. I thought we were going to be able to use our old game if we wanted. And what about all those who Just bought the End Times books. "Hey, thanks for the Cash, now suck it."

It turns out End Times was just a big Cash Grab because they are not supporting those books they just released.

• Like 1

What a bunch of POS they are. We get it that AoS is their new attempt at saving face but why take the FAQ's down immediately? They have to know that AoS is not being receivedvery well. I thought we were going to be able to use our old game if we wanted. And what about all those who Just bought the End Times books. "Hey, thanks for the Cash, now suck it."

It turns out End Times was just a big Cash Grab because they are not supporting those books they just released.

How do we know AoS hasn't been 'received' very well? Do we have any numbers to confirm that? I didn't even think it was on sale until next weekend?

Remember - we only represent a small % of the gaming population. We have no idea if AoS will catch on with folks who avoided 8th edition, or Warhammer altogether because of the huge buy-in cost. These are things we might not even know for months. GW likely -assumed- a good number of vets would be in an uproar over it - and they must be ok with that. It's a drastic change from the previous Warhammer world we all knew and loved. They knew all of this - they designed it that way anyway. So they're thinking it's still going to pay-off for them somehow.

Will it? Only time will tell. :)  But I think it's too soon to tell, really, based on the complaints/gripes of a handful of people in a few online communities. Even on Dakka, 90% of the complaints are from a dozen people posting over and over and over again how much they hate it. I have no doubt a large number of vets are not going to be happy, because a lot of them were expecting something more 'WHFB 9th editionish'. But that obviously isn't going to happen. At least, not from GW.

I am very curious to see where this game is 6 months from now. :)

In all fairness, everyone had the last 6-8 months to download 8th edition FAQs. We knew they were done updating them months ago.

And Unfortunately, being that 8th edition is going by the wayside, they have no use for the FAQs for a game they no longer support. GW has always ditched everything for previous editions as the new one hit (or earlier). It is no surprise here.

They are still a bunch of cash grabbing dicks. The EoT books/models were a ton of short life purchases. (as was the Wood elf book). But again, no surprise. We knew 9th was coming, and we all talked about how EoT books would likely be invalidated. I mean most of us were hoping that would not be the way of it... but never trust a shifty eyed GW. I avoided EoT models and books because I knew this was coming, the writing was on the wall (plus if they were still good I could always get them later).

Anyway, we knew it was coming and we knew the dates. Not being prepared for them closing things down is not their fault (but they do get full credit for screwing up the game so much that you still want those old FAQ's).

Well, that turned out a little ranty... sorry ML.

Thanks for posting valourunbound!

• Like 2

Regardless of the AoS part, ML has a totally valid point that it is SUPER lame of GW to pull the FAQs.  The books we bought have errors, and they removed our ability to get the fixes!  Really, really lame.  GW is losing credibility and goodwill fast.

PS: dkieft, that's not a fair parallel to draw... pulling an errata for an older book that was revised and re-published is one thing.  Canceling a game, and then pulling the electronic errata for the rulebooks people paid for, in order to make it harder to play that game, is another entirely IMO.  Just sayin', this whole mess is a different kind of dirty than I'm used to from GW.

• Like 1

PS: dkieft, that's not a fair parallel to draw... pulling an errata for an older book that was revised and re-published is one thing.  Canceling a game, and then pulling the electronic errata for the rulebooks people paid for, in order to make it harder to play that game, is another entirely IMO.  Just sayin', this whole mess is a different kind of dirty than I'm used to from GW.

Now NtK, lets not mis-characterize what they have done here... They simply removed outdated information from their website to avoid confusion and make sure that their users had only the newest updates. Making it harder to play 8th? That never even crossed a mind at GW.

(okay, seriously they have done this with every new edition of every game since they started doing FAQ's where any serious system change was involved. I am not saying they can't go eat a bag of dicks... just that they'll be eating out of that same bag of dicks they always have...)

• Like 1

(okay, seriously they have done this with every new edition of every game since they started doing FAQ's where any serious system change was involved. I am not saying they can't go eat a bag of dicks... just that they'll be eating out of that same bag of dicks they always have...)

To me, this is a Hole Nother Bag, man, a serious HNBoDs.

Sorry about the Rant everyone, just not a good week.

Indytims I wasn't referring to the Ordo forums as for my not well received line. (Also I do respect your thoughts and optimism I just happen to be in the other camp. Total respect though.) Aside from Faeit's forum (Which is very Biased ProGW everything) all the forums, battle reports and YouTube reviews have been more negative than positive. The best I heard is when they say it was fun and players should try it with the Caveat, when the community comes up with a point system or comp and this is not meant for large tactical battles like 8th. That's not what you call very positive reviews.

The game as it stands has No depth and will go down as another Dreadfleet in GW's history. We as Fantasy Fans Want to like it but depending on what you are looking for and how optimistic you are will determine where you stand at the moment.

Who knows, maybe GW will realize they Jumped the Shark and make a 180 to turn this around. Personally I think GW checked out on WHFB and after this weak attempt will go back to focusing on 40K permanently.

Pulling the faqs is completely normal and has nothing to do with disdain for this or hatred of that. That edition is no longer the most current; they pull the faqs. They do this almost literally every month.

Totally disagree with that logic.  "That edition" (8th) *is* in fact the most recent edition of WFB (a game they no longer wish people to engage in, because they have a new, different game they are pushing).

This is not at all the same as pulling a 7th edition FAQ when the 8th edition book is published!  I mean look, they still have (had) the 6th edition Warhammer Fantasy Battle Bretonnia FAQ up until just now.  Is there a more recent version of the WFB:Bret army book?  No, there's a new (incompatible) book for a different game.  So they pull it.  Not after published 7th, or 8th, but after launching a new game they want people to play instead.

Anyway I am not losing sleep over it but pretty obvious dick move by GW... there's no other practical reason to remove the rules errata for WFB.  Agreed, not hatred or disdain, just horridly uncouth marketing tactics.

• Like 1

Sorry about the Rant everyone, just not a good week.

Indytims I wasn't referring to the Ordo forums as for my not well received line. (Also I do respect your thoughts and optimism I just happen to be in the other camp. Total respect though.) Aside from Faeit's forum (Which is very Biased ProGW everything) all the forums, battle reports and YouTube reviews have been more negative than positive. The best I heard is when they say it was fun and players should try it with the Caveat, when the community comes up with a point system or comp and this is not meant for large tactical battles like 8th. That's not what you call very positive reviews.

The game as it stands has No depth and will go down as another Dreadfleet in GW's history. We as Fantasy Fans Want to like it but depending on what you are looking for and how optimistic you are will determine where you stand at the moment.

Who knows, maybe GW will realize they Jumped the Shark and make a 180 to turn this around. Personally I think GW checked out on WHFB and after this weak attempt will go back to focusing on 40K permanently.

You're good, ML! Totally cool! I couldn't tell that you had a bad week. I could just tell that you have a differing opinion, and that's totally cool. :)

I know there have been a couple polls on Dakka, and the results are definitely varied. I know many folks (including old friends I trust) who are in the camp that it has the 'makings' of being decent... but it's lacking a couple major things, most notably which is a points system/army building rules. Hate the Sigmarites? Hate the fluff? Those are things that don't affect the game itself. Not a single person in my old gaming group is going to buy Sigmarites. LOL. BUT, like me, they really -want- the game to -work-.

I can say that, despite any optimism I might have, if we don't see some sort of force-composition guidelines (at the very least) within a month or two, I know my interest will fade. There are just too many other great games out there that are ready here and now, and I still love me some 40K, Mordheim, and BB. :)

But by 'well-received', I am most curious about the important 'reception', and that is in sales. I've read rumors where some store owners had to 'up' their pre-orders, and I've read where some store-owners are looking to drop back on their pre-orders. I am curious to see how it sells, though. I don't have any real vested interest - I am not buying a box myself, but I am curious as I think that will be a strong indication how the game will at least initially be received and supported.

As for pulling down the FAQs, I was always under the impression that they pulled down FAQs once a game goes out of print, whether there's a new edition or not? I could be wrong, though. Been out of the loop awhile. ;)

Someone asked me tonight for the 8th edition FAQs. Since I can't recall his name, I decided to post them here, for all.

In case you are wondering why this might be necessary, it appears the GW has removed all of the 8th edition FAQs from the BL webiste.

So here they are: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/skx81c8p6th44xn/AAAuL4ZZvYYC3WWCwrZuCioMa?dl=0

It was me, and thanks!

Like it or not, AoS is the newest edition of WHFB.

Because you say so?  Sorry man, normally I find your posts pretty logical, but this is just "argument by assertion", which is fallacious.

Just because they stop making WFB and shortly after release a new game (with a different name, and totally different rules, and incompatible army books, and different statlines, and...) doesn't mean that it's the next edition of WFB.

Semantics, I suppose.

Because you say so?  Sorry man, normally I find your posts pretty logical, but this is just "argument by assertion", which is fallacious.

Just because they stop making WFB and shortly after release a new game (with a different name, and totally different rules, and incompatible army books, and different statlines, and...) doesn't mean that it's the next edition of WFB.

Semantics, I suppose.

I got bad news for you NtK. I want it not to be true as much as you do... but I fear that GW has, through it's actions (and lack of bothering to actually communicate) pretty much replaced WFB with AoS.

In my opinion we have all been ripped off. This was a terrible move (hopefully time will prove me right). But GW has from their point of view issued a 9th edition. It's a complete [big bad swear word] up from a "We liked and were invested in this game" point of view, but I think the limited "facts" that we now know prove that while they may plan to develop AoS into a full 9th edition, for now WFB has been hijacked into this new form. Unfortunately, as much as we hate it. this is the new face a WFB.

• Like 2

So Shane from Dakka Dakka posted this and it has been passed around.

"“GW had a guy camped out at the Forge World open day whos entire job was to answer questions and talk to people about Age of Sigmar. His entire job is to go to shows and talk to people about the new game. For the first time I think ever they’re taking Age of Sigmar to Gencon, Comic Con, all the major wargames conventions in Europe etc. They’re throwing a considerable amount of money at putting this in front of new audiences who have never played fantasy before. He was also brutally honest and didn’t dodge any questions and answered everything he could. I’ll start with the negative stuff first.

This is it. There categorically will not be a ‘9th’ edition of fantasy. Age of Sigmar is the only thing fantasy related GW will do for the considerable future.

He acknowledges that the ‘funny’ rules are rather silly and don’t make for a great intro to the system for new people. His response was that the armies in the box set don’t have the silly rules. They’re there as kind of a celebration and final send off of the old warhammer armies, and he said you might notice the new armies don’t have the stupid noises or imaginary friends. This is deliberate, its designed that you’ll only generally play the old stuff with your mates since it’s a bit embarassing to play in a public place.

The new races will look different to the old ones. Ooruks will not look the same as the orcs we currently have. As such, when they get round to releasing Ooruks, the old models will cease production. He did say that you can still use your old models as ooruks, but you won’t be able to buy normal orc boys again.

There will never be points values.

On to the slightly positive stuff then.

They are going to fully support all modes of play, and will be releasing rules to balance armies against each other. There will be narrative campaigns where your forces are picked for you for specific missions, and there will be a system for tournament players to balance lists that isn’t based on model count. He did not know the specifics of this, but said it is definitely coming.

The rules will always be free. He said that they are very very aware that fantasy had a massive buy in for someone to get started, as such the game was designed with the ability to play it with one box of models. There will be army books, but every rule in them will be available, for free, online. The books will just have extra background info and scenarios.

GW really are trying harder than they ever have before to make this work. If you’re at one of the shows go and talk to them. They want to talk to you about this, but especially they want your feedback on it. As he said, this is totally uncharted territory for them and they are totally open to rules revisions as they go.”

So yeah, this is it, this is what GW has to offer and All the old Armies got these Warscrolls as a Farewell, not a more to come. Everything moving forward will be different from all the old stuff and will not be like the old armies.

The Old Models will be removed from sale as soon as the "New" armies are released. They will not be supported.

Again, from what the GW rep is saying these Warscrolls are not proof the the Old Armies will be supported but are a, as the rep said, a fun way to send them off because no one will want to play them seriously at tournaments.

• Like 1

So yeah, this is it, this is what GW has to offer and All the old Armies got these Warscrolls as a Farewell, not a more to come. Everything moving forward will be different from all the old stuff and will not be like the old armies.

The Old Models will be removed from sale as soon as the "New" armies are released. They will not be supported.

Again, from what the GW rep is saying these Warscrolls are not proof the the Old Armies will be supported but are a, as the rep said, a fun way to send them off because no one will want to play them seriously at tournaments.

GW has 'resculpted' figs for a large part of their entire line over the years. I don't find it surprising or angry that they will be 'resculpting' some of their existing line now. Yeah, they'll be working on completely new factions too, of course - the Sigmarites are likely only the first. But they will probably do resculpts of other parts of the line as they go along - or create entirely new units for existing factions.

This is how they've always done things though, right? I think I have three or four different versions of Dark Reapers for my Eldar army. I know I have a few different versions of Clanrats and Stormvermin for my Skaven. I would assume stuff that has received a newer model recently won't receive a new one anytime soon, but I would guess they will look at older models.

And that doesn't even invalidate your current stuff. You have warscrolls for them now. They're usable now and for the duration of this 'edition' of AoS. Even if some of your favorite figs go oop, you've still got the stats for them and they are still playable in AoS and 8th.