Pretre's 1850 for GC 8.25 - The Great Hunt Rides!

pretre

Remember if you use the conclave 2+ psychic thang the most you can cast is going to be 2 powers per the ITC ruling on psykers.

Aha! So here it is:

- It takes 2 to get a 3+ (Nominated Libby and One extra within 12" of nominated model)

- it takes 3 to get a 2+ (Nominated Libby and two extra within 12" of nominated model)

I've got 4 libbies and a big old unit to move them around in. I can totally put the 2+ required powers in 12" of each other and split the other to throw extra dice at other stuff (just move him 12.5" from the nominated libby). Depending on power rolls and the situation on the ground, you can even just use two and move the other two to cast from somewhere else in the unit.

Depending on power rolls and the situation on the ground, you can even just use two and move the other two to cast from somewhere else in the unit.

Nah, whole issue is that ITC says you can't recast the same power in a single unit. Doesn't matter if you've a hundred psykers stretching their unit across the board, only a single attempt per unit at casting the same spell.

Nah, whole issue is that ITC says you can't recast the same power in a single unit. Doesn't matter if you've a hundred psykers stretching their unit across the board, only a single attempt per unit at casting the same spell.

That's not at all what we're talking about.

CaptainA was saying that the Conclave can only cast two powers because the dude casting is Mastery Level 2. I am not worried about casting a single power twice; I am worried about casting more than 2 powers off of four dudes.

Especially since I have a LOT of dice to throw at stuff and the only ones I'm super worried about getting off (Invis because it is mandatory and I need it and either Sanctuary or Hammerhand because more than one die gives me a chance of perils) can be cast by the ML2 on a 2+. Anything else is gravy off the 4+ dudes.

With the twelve inch rule, I can cast 2 powers on a 2+ and then 2 more on a 4+ or 2 powers on a 3+ and 4 more on a 4+. That's a lot of flexibility.

Well, you can only nominate a single psyker per turn with that rule. So you'd have the 2 powers (or so) from the nominated psyker, then any normal psychic powers as per the models outside 12" of the nominated psyker. But it's no different that just having 2-3 psykers in this formation, plus any number of psykers not in this formation. If they are one unit, you still can't cast the same power more than once, and no model can exceed their mastery level in powers per psychic phase.

So, sake of argument, why not a Nemesis Strike Force instead of this libby formation. You'd need a single troops unit, which would mean you'd not be entirely one unit, but GK have really cheap psyker access and this detachment can field up to 4 ICs (1 mantadory, 1 optional, and 2 "techmarines" as free slots for each HQ selection). GK can also effortlessly cast and acquire Hammerhand, with sanctuary being very attainable too. They also have telepathy access.

Yeah, it's not 2s to cast, but GK auto acquire hammer hand, and have a relic which allows the GK to re-roll 1s when casting santic damonology, and otherwise have very impressive psyker access. They also ignore the normal brain explosions for santic damonology and re-1s when denying...

EDIT: Would be 5 ICs if you added Draigo...though that would mean 2 LoWs....

Also NSF is not even close to the theme of the list. It's bad enough I have two walking characters already. And it is way less efficient in pretty much every way.

That's just it, you already have a walking unit.

No, I have two walking models that fit with my theme. And I'm not going to add a less efficient walking unit (or three) because you don't understand how the conclave works.

By theme, other than a blob of ICs, what was the theme?

Have I been doing it wrong...? I thought all the space marine formations were only usable to make up a Gladius Strike Force detachment, abiding by the core, command and auxillary rules as written. Am I allowed to simply ditch the demi-company and all its tactical marines? :biggrin:

Have I been doing it wrong...? I thought all the space marine formations were only usable to make up a Gladius Strike Force detachment, abiding by the core, command and auxillary rules as written. Am I allowed to simply ditch the demi-company and all its tactical marines? :biggrin:

You can for any of the formations that have their own datasheet. And you don't get Gladius benefits this way.

Yep. Any of the Formations from Pg.174-185 can be taken on their own or in the Gladius. Same holds true for the Formations from all the Dexes that have Decurion-style Detachments. I've often seen Necron or Eldar players taking one or two of those alongside a CAD, or CSM Armies with a DK Gorepack.

I made a whole army of formations with no detachments.  http://www.ordofanaticus.com/index.php?/topic/25214-2k-ravenguard-list-7th-edition/?p=305038

• 2 weeks later...