AOS fixes WHFB

MUCH smaller buy-in. AoS theoretically handles games from a few models up to hundreds....

Easier/quicker to learn...

In the end, though, I don't think AoS was meant to 'fix' anything. GW themselves have called it a 'whole new game', and though there are obviously definite similarities to its predecessors, it is a pretty big departure from what we've all known the past few decades, from fluff to rules.

• Like 1

1. See something you want to play with, play with it.

2. Bad with math?  Play AoS. No pesky math required.

3. Hate people talking about a tournament scene, or net lists?  Play AoS, there are no net lists and unlikely to be a tournament scene.

4. Pretre said update Brets. (Although, that's not the same as releasing a Bret book, since the update can only be played with AoS)

5. Monsters get weaker as they take wounds, really good idea.

• Like 1

I actually agree with most of the items listed except the scaling into hundreds of models.  Try it, it gets weird and slows down considerably.  

The largest game I've seen played so far was with ~80 models per side. It went extremely fast. When you pile-in with 25-30 guys, that's so many freakin' dice that stuff starts to die fast, and then you're failing Bravery tests and losing even more stuff.

I have a plan to push the size bigger, slowly but surely, to see where it really starts to break down.

I had 2 combats where the dice rolls weren't good for 2 rounds so it didn't move fast at all, more dice rolls, the more that will happen...when you depend on dice, you become disappointed.  :wink:

And moving that many models becomes cumbersome.  

Double your 80/side.  You will see it quickly.  And make sure you project your experience of that for a horde army (Orcs, Skaven, Empire).  My standard 3000 pt O&G that I run clocks in at 327 models.

• Like 1

I had 2 combats where the dice rolls weren't good for 2 rounds so it didn't move fast at all, more dice rolls, the more that will happen...when you depend on dice, you become disappointed.  :wink:

And moving that many models becomes cumbersome.  

Double your 80/side.  You will see it quickly.  And make sure you project your experience of that for a horde army (Orcs, Skaven, Empire).  My standard 3000 pt O&G that I run clocks in at 327 models.

Yeah, one of my armies is Skaven, which I was using. And so far I've seen and been using movement trays for a large part of movement, and they still definitely help. Since there are no 'barrage' or 'template' weapons that I am aware of, moving stuff around packed tight together really isn't a danger. Only take the figs off once you get into combat and start to pile-in. Then... the death starts. With big units, the odds of rolling 'badly' aren't very good. You're bound to kill stuff - and get stuff killed. And since -both- sides test Bravery if they remove even a single model, There's plenty of opportunity to lose more models - even if you 'technically' win the combat! (Seen that happen a few times already).

Doubling in size... might give that a try next. Might have to loan some of my Skaven over for 'counts-as' Beastmen for that one. ;)

-Tim

Interesting formation/movement diagrams;

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=165&t=76924&sid=7d9f4c3fafa4beadd4d490f9f42eef9c

This is one of the aspects I really like about AoS

Although it's not like that wasn't something WHFB didn't do.  If anything, that whole thread just shows that you can simulate some of the movement tactics that WHFB was known for.

Although it's not like that wasn't something WHFB didn't do.  If anything, that whole thread just shows that you can simulate some of the movement tactics that WHFB was known for.

I get the impression that was kinda the point. Lots of folks have went on about how AoS is simplistic and has no strategy... and I took the diagrams to mean that it -could-, in some ways, mirror some WHFB strategies. The 'hammer and anvil' in particular is an old tact I've seen folks use (or try to) in every edition. :)

• Like 1

I get the impression that was kinda the point. Lots of folks have went on about how AoS is simplistic and has no strategy... and I took the diagrams to mean that it -could-, in some ways, mirror some WHFB strategies. The 'hammer and anvil' in particular is an old tact I've seen folks use (or try to) in every edition. :)

Right, but this thread is specifically what AoS fixes about WHFB, no?  This isn't a fix as much as it is going "not EVERYTHING was lost."

As for my thoughts on what it brings to the table that WHFB hasn't in the past are I really like the melee ranges.  It's something I wish 40k would take away from AoS.

AoS needs 3 fixes imo

.summoning needs to be reworked or removed

.shooting into combat is dumb

.GW needs to release a pts system

If those things happen AoS will be a great game. If not it is not playable as a tournament game

Summoned units could be solved by the points system. They could act as reserves that you pay full cost for. I disagree with the notion of free units as this defeats the purpose of even matches, which is already constrained by potentially miscosted units.

Shooting into combat could work if misses hit your own guys. Turns it into more of a desperate tactical choice unless you have keen marksmen.

• Like 1