Oldhammers vs Sigmarites

Ok this has been a rough week for the community and I know I have been vocal on my points and disagreed with those who like AoS. That said we have been driving a wedge into our community as a whole and I saw a video that really really put everything into prospective for both sides of the community.

I highly suggest watching the Whole video and thinking about what he says. I really believe he has nailed the while situation from a good nuteral point of view.

Tell me what you think.

(Also I know there are twenty other threads but maybe this one we can bury our hatchets before most of you goto OFCC.)

• Like 1

In synopsis, it's one guy's very diplomatic way of saying that there are two sides to this release - those who love it, and those who hate it, and that both sides have reasons they are 'right'.

I suppose in some places, groups/clubs might be 'split' in their support or disdain of AoS. I got the feeling that was mainly what he meant by 'driving a wedge' between folks. There is certainly an 'old guard' side to the release who refuse to even acknowledge this as WHFB's replacement. And there are some who feel the opposite, and find fun in what was provided, with hopes of improvements in the near future.

I didn't really 'learn' anything from the vid, but it was one person's interesting take on the situation.

• Like 1

In synopsis, it's one guy's very diplomatic way of saying that there are two sides to this release - those who love it, and those who hate it, and that both sides have reasons they are 'right'.

So basically what we got down to in the other thread. Gotcha.

It'll sort itself out.

Well I still think it is very refreshing because he did hit all the points we have been talking about very very well. He was able to present why players from the Old Guard have felt like they have been slighted and that they are not wrong to feel mad. But he also goes on to say that the new game has potential but needs working to make it really click.

His biggest point which is true is that Warhammer Fanstasy is Dead, the game no longer exists. Age of Sigmar is a whole new game that plays very differently. It also has a great appeal to 40K players because it does play closer to 40K than WHFB but this is also a reason why the Old Guard feels burned.

In the end he is right, the game is not Fantasy and they have killed Fantasy. Even all the Older Models will vanish as soon as the new Armies come out. But this game is an entry point for new players and is easy to learn to play and the entry point is cheap. He does a very good job at pointing out both sides and shows both sides are right to feel the way they do.

It wasn't a Fanboy yelling GW praise and it wasn't an older player yelling about all the issues and feeling burned by GW. It really was a middle of the road piece.

• Like 2

His biggest point which is true is that Warhammer Fanstasy is Dead, the game no longer exists. Age of Sigmar is a whole new game that plays very differently. It also has a great appeal to 40K players because it does play closer to 40K than WHFB but this is also a reason why the Old Guard feels burned.

Well stated! Or, at least, well paraphrased! I couldn't agree more.

It appeals to 40k players because it has some hallmarks that they enjoy. You can use whatever models you want aka 40k. Low cost of entry and they can use it to supplement their gaming repertoire while supporting GW. If you want, you can convert the fantasy models to 40k and the more released the better the options. It is quick and you can play an aos game in-between games of 40k to kinda relax and chat. The only downside for a 40k player is if the formula is then introduced to the 40k universe which would be how Mikhail has basically stated GW loves to carefully aim and shoot themselves in the foot.