Interesting tidbits from the GW store

So I spent a while at the GW Portland store yesterday.  And I learned some interesting things:

1. This week was the largest grossing week in GW North American history.

2. The rumors about fantasy only being 15% of GW sales was true, but that was AFTER end times, and end times doubled fantasy sales.  So prior to end times, fantasy was pulling in only 7-8% of revenue.

3. The store has played about 60 games of Age of Sigmar so far, and all but two players loved it and wanted to buy it.

4. All the new models are upping the scale to a more 32mm format.

5. New orcs sound very World of Warcraft in aesthetic.  Lots of animal pelts and bone helmets, very beastial - since they now come from the realm of beasts.

6. GW has told store staff that there will be new model releases for AoS every week as far into the future as they currently project.  They are committed to at least one new blister a week forever.

• Like 7

So how long until it get's Gorkamorka'd/Necromunda'd/Epic'd/Mordheim'd/etc?

Let's check back in 18 months...

That being said, from a market growth standpoint it's probably a good idea.  As they tailored the WFB rules toward larger battles (to sell more models) they became their own worst competition, and priced themselves out of the market.

• Like 3

So how long until it get's Gorkamorka'd/Necromunda'd/Epic'd/Mordheim'd/etc?

Let's check back in 18 months...

That being said, from a market growth standpoint it's probably a good idea.  As they tailored the WFB rules toward larger battles (to sell more models) they became their own worst competition, and priced themselves out of the market.

They are all in on this..this IS the new way and will be around for many years.

The one thing that concerns me is the move to 32mm.I hope that's a very long term goal and not something that forces us to start replacing models in a few months time.Otherwise ill just play with what I have until I cant anymore.

I will give my standard disclaimer for info that comes out of a store: the store reps often have less info than we do about GW releases. That being said, it doesn't sound unreasonable or far from the truth.

I live a walk away from that store and talk to Tyler pretty often. He's a very mellow guy who's never really spoken to rumors w me. If he doesn't have real info on a subject he usually just shrugs and admits to knowing nothing.

Prior to its release he was pretty untelling and sort of wary of Sigmar.

Basically what I'm saying is if he said all that- there is a pretty good chance it's true

• Like 3

The one thing that concerns me is the move to 32mm.I hope that's a very long term goal and not something that forces us to start replacing models in a few months time.Otherwise ill just play with what I have until I cant anymore.

Clanrats as big as rat-ogres! YAYYY! :)

Seriously though... while there might be an obvious difference in size, if you aren't playing in a tournament or in some other organized even that is being anal about figs, you should be able to use your current figs indefinitely, in my opinion.

Tyler's a good guy.  

That being said, they try to keep the store managers in the dark as much as possible.  I was told more from industry people who have friends in places.

The fact that Fantasy seemed to do well in Portland is really not a good measure, because it just hasn't sold well.  

I'll reserve thoughts on the game until I play it.  Of course, I'm not rushing to a game store to play regardless, mostly because I haven't played Fantasy in almost five years and I don't miss it.

Assuming the scale of the game doesn't get excessive I'm in.  I haven't touched a GW game since Necromunda.  I love the worlds that GW creates.  The models are really top notch now.  Price and what you get for it has been what has kept me away from Warhammer and 40k.  I am pretty excited to see what the orcs will look like.