Scout bikers?

Yep. They're the only way I'm aware of to get a Locator Beacon that starts on the board in a useful location. Plus, the booby traps can cause some annoyance for your Opponent if there's Terrain he's going to have to move through for a while.

I kind of like having a Squad in Drop Lists when I can fit them in, for the times when someone makes me go first.

Yep. They're the only way I'm aware of to get a Locator Beacon that starts on the board in a useful location. Plus, the booby traps can cause some annoyance for your Opponent if there's Terrain he's going to have to move through for a while.

I kind of like having a Squad in Drop Lists when I can fit them in, for the times when someone makes me go first.

So, sake of argument, 64pts with beacon and a 3-man scout squad, 85pts with cluster mines.

60pts for a Scout Sentinel with Augur Array. Even I think the Scout Sentinel is overpriced. How are those Scouts better?

That amuses me, because I think Scout Sentinels are actually priced about right, maybe a little over.

Anyhow, you can discount the Points for the Cluster Mines in the comparison, because those continue to work even if the Scouts get killed.

What the Scout Bikers have going for them in addition is Infiltrate (combined with Scout on Bikes, you can have them in your Opponent's DZ at the start of the game if they leave an opening), better ability to reposition for your Turn 2 Pods if they survive Turn 1, and a far lower profile to hide. You can also add Meltabombs on the Sarge so they've got something to do after all your DS Units are in for a very modest price.

That amuses me, because I think Scout Sentinels are actually priced about right, maybe a little over.

Anyhow, you can discount the Points for the Cluster Mines in the comparison, because those continue to work even if the Scouts get killed.

What the Scout Bikers have going for them in addition is Infiltrate (combined with Scout on Bikes, you can have them in your Opponent's DZ at the start of the game if they leave an opening), better ability to reposition for your Turn 2 Pods if they survive Turn 1, and a far lower profile to hide. You can also add Meltabombs on the Sarge so they've got something to do after all your DS Units are in for a very modest price.

I think BS4 scout sentinels would be priced right at their current cost.

Hmmm...Okay, I see your point. Yeah, scout bikers are probably better for this function.

As for cluster mines, seems iffy that they'll have any value. I mean, anything with move through cover, skilled rider, all vehicles (except non-SH walkers), vehicles, and all MCs are effectively immune to cluster mines. Even the units affected are still allowed armor saves. Seems pretty contextual for a 20pt upgrade. 

There's a fair amount of common Infantry around without MtC, some of it with rather poor Armour Saves. Looking back over my past dozen Games or so, I reckon I could have got some use out of Cluster Mines in about half of them.

Regardless, my point in leaving them out of the comparison with the Sentinel was just that their value is independent of what the Scout Bikers themselves do during the Game.

Regardless, my point in leaving them out of the comparison with the Sentinel was just that their value is independent of what the Scout Bikers themselves do during the Game.

Ah, that does make sense.