BAO Thread

pretre

So as long as the Cult Mechanicus, Skitarii, and Knight are taken in the War Convocation, they count as 1 detachment.

So if he had just combined the three sources, not taking the required models, then it would have counted as 5 detachments....

Ok that makes sense, I just wanted to make sure I understood correctly. 

So it's not necessarily a 3 source limit, it depends on the detachment they are bound too. 

Hey thanks for the clarification, appreciate it!

Glad I could help! :)

• Like 2

"Three sources" (or even "limited sources") was a 6th Edition thing, back before the way that detachments and formations worked was changed. With very rare exceptions, tournaments (and specifically the ITC in particular) limit you to three detachments, which is very different. You could, for example, use a basic Codex (such as Space Marines), an expansion book (such as Stronghold Assault), a supplement (such as Sentinels of Terra), an Imperial Armor book (such as IA2), a dataslate (such as the Space Marine HQ Command Tanks), and a downloadable rules supplement (such as the Knight Acheron) all within a single detachment.

Of course, that's more the exception than the rule, but thinking about limits in terms of "sources" will often lead you astray- most especially because it's just as easy to include multiple detachments from a single source nowadays.

• Like 2

"Three sources" (or even "limited sources") was a 6th Edition thing, back before the way that detachments and formations worked was changed. With very rare exceptions, tournaments (and specifically the ITC in particular) limit you to three detachments, which is very different. You could, for example, use a basic Codex (such as Space Marines), an expansion book (such as Stronghold Assault), a supplement (such as Sentinels of Terra), an Imperial Armor book (such as IA2), a dataslate (such as the Space Marine HQ Command Tanks), and a downloadable rules supplement (such as the Knight Acheron) all within a single detachment.

Of course, that's more the exception than the rule, but thinking about limits in terms of "sources" will often lead you astray- most especially because it's just as easy to include multiple detachments from a single source nowadays.

Though is isn't the point behind the ITC ruling to restrict the number of books a player has to thumb through/bring while playing?

I kinda thought that was the point behind limiting detachments.

A War Convocation with a single assassin and some Drop Pods? Shenanigans? Really?

That war convocation is made up of 3 detachments, then he's add 2 more. 

If the point of the 3-detachment system is to limit detachments, seems like this is a perversion of the intentions.

The list itself isn't really an issue.

The same was said of the Decurion.  

And it seemed a valid argument.

Just begs the question, does the 3-detachment limit still have a function?

Personally, the limit on duplicate detachments solves most of the detachment related shenanigans I can think of. With unlimited, non-duplicate detachments, what's the most broken (ITC legal) list you can think of?

I think that if there was no limit to detachments there would be a lot more shenanigans at all events. :)

So, example time. What can you do with an unlimited number of detachments, while otherwise abiding by the ITC format and FAQ limitations (including the other detachment limitations, like no duplicate detachments)?

Personally, I'd be hard pressed to put more than 5 or 6 detachments in a single 1850pt army. And I don't think it would really be all that impressive, just a fun army to paint.

Imperial super friends benefit the most.

I could make a CotGW plus skyhammer plus librarius plus inquisitor plus assassin pretty easy.

Love the imperial super friends concept. Need to make an image of that, but I could only find this on google:

2932341-superfriends___cartoon_roster_co

Still, I think your Imperial super friends suffer by taking so many detachments. Can you do an example list?

Maybe tomorrow when I'm at a computer.

Basically, it means every list can have a servo skull caddy and Culexus without consideration for anything else. (For maybe 150 points)

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it would be a weak list. I just question how much stronger than a 3 detachment list in our current ITC incarnation you could really make it.

Whoosh!

I understood, but I choose to take it another direction.

Granted a list that we would find strong vs one that pax finds strong are two different things. :)

I know, I've got odd standards for truly strong lists, but it I think even pretre will see my point when he makes his own list with tons of non-duplicate detachments. Especially if trying to make an IC super friends list.

It's just kinda hard to cram more than 6 non-duplicate detachments into an 1850pt list and still make something viable. It can be done, but it typically doesn't result in a dramatically stronger list than can be created via the 3 detachment limit as is.