40k fluff question

Very tempted to put together a "Museum for the Imperium" set of terrain pieces/Objective Markers. With some OOP 40k models displayed like dinosaurs in a museum, and others painted as statues. In particular, I like the idea because I could have an excuse to paint up some of the OOP models that I have no intention of ever fielding the army they are a part of. Plus my home could use some dedicated terrain.

That said, would the Imperium do this? Or would they deliberately suppress things like a Museum?

If they wouldn't, is there a 40k faction that would have a Museum?

Hello there,

I'm going by what's been written in the Horus Heresy series by the Black Library, if it helps.

Museums / displays are common on many Imperial worlds

Many of the Astartes legions also have museums / displays in their warships, on their planets and especially in their strongholds.

Stay safe,

don

Having terrain is always a good idea :) And fighting through one seems appropriate for the 40k setting.

As far as imperial society having museums, I think they'd exist on many of the more socially advanced worlds. Say, agri worlds on up. Displaying items relevant to that worlds history (first landing/settlers, notable leaders/times, ect).

Many space marine chapters maintain trophy rooms with artifacts from notable engagements. I think those could be counted towards your question as well.

Also, having existed for millennia most chapters could be considered walking museums ;)

So how about alien tech? Like, in example, an Eldar Spirit Walker. A statue? Or laid out on a table in pieces? Or posed like Dinosaur bones?

I don't play eldar, but some of the really old models are cool. I'd love an excuse to field them with my Imperial Army, even if only as elaborate "Museum display" Objective Markers.

Xenos tech in display to the public? Never. That's like having a "History's Greatest Kitten Murderers" exhibit at your local museum. I'm sure some wealthy Rogue Traders have their own displays and radical Mechanicus outposts have items for reverse engineering though.

Although I agree the imperium probably wouldn't, our modern society certainly would.

You wouldn't present it as a glorification of the murderer's of kittens, but a exhibit showcasing the "cruel suffering of kittens at the hands of history's most nefarious kitten mass murderers" is totally something that would be at a museum in our modern world.

So either a Rogue Trader, or is there another race that would actually have this sort of thing on Display?

Although I agree the imperium probably wouldn't, our modern society certainly would.

You wouldn't present it as a glorification of the murderer's of kittens, but a exhibit showcasing the "cruel suffering of kittens at the hands of history's most nefarious kitten mass murderers" is totally something that would be at a museum in our modern world.

So either a Rogue Trader, or is there another race that would actually have this sort of thing on Display?

Just my personal opinion....

There are supposedly a bazillion planets occupied by man, I think?  Each planet probably has some things in common with each other, but I bet all of them have a lot of things unique to themselves.

I don't see why one planet's magistrate might have his own private 'museum', or like someone else mentioned, some radical/edge-pushing Mechanicus outposts have a collection of alien tech that they are researching, etc The idea of a Rogue Trader with his own 'collection' is also a valid one, and with cults and how easily mankind is corrupted, I wouldn't be shocked that someone, somewhere, has the remnants of a Spirit Walker laying about that they are saving/hoarding/caressing/salvaging/engineering/researching/etc. I just hope there aren't any in-tact soul-stones there, or that 'museum' might be receiving a visit before too long! :P

Rogue Trader or a planet's Magistrate has a private collection. Sounds great. Perfect neutral objective markers.

Imperium wants them destroyed/confinscated, other races might want them reclaimed, stolen or researched. Some races might just want to eat them....

pax, it's also worth noting that what you are describing actually exists in the fluff... on a Necron world. Trazyn the Infinite has dedicated the entire planet of Solemnance to preserving vital historical artifacts (by whatever definition he decides on at the moment) and spends all of his time attempting to "collect" such items from the galaxy at large. His section in the current Necron codex is rather weak, but if you can beg, borrow, or steal a 5th Edition book, his fluff is delightful.

For extra-super bonus points, model an angry Inquisitor Valeria and her Hyperdimensional Matrix.

• Like 3