Remaining in the Old World - Pure Fluff

Morning guys

So after GW killing off my favorite piece of fluff I am getting more and more drawn to start writing and doing an unofficial "Alternative Ending" to the End of times proposed by GW. 

My initial thoughts are:

- After losing heavy casualties the empire and allies managed to break the chaos onslaught and start driving the chaos back.  

- The casualties that occurred weren't as bad as thought and small pockets of untainted resistance remain but largely the empire now has to rebuild and push back any remaining chaos detachments left in the empire.

- The Lizardmen return after stopping the warp gate shenanigans and help raise Ulthuan back from the depths. 

- The dwarves return to some of there kingdoms however many are now over run with green skins and "The 4th Age of Conquest begins" to return them back to dwarf ownership. 

- The Chaos invasion still holds and now Chaos holds Kislev and has created a new Chaos city of BarKathoran. The remaining human settlements decide against trying to take it back for the moment and instead chose to rebuild and secure what is left of the Empire. 

- The skaven have taken over most of Tilean and most of the destroyed human cities are now dwellings of the rat folk. 

- Bretonnia has sent an envoy and has agreed a full ally status with the empire along with the dwarves to regain their lost kingdoms from the invading foes.

- The high council of magic has now set in motion strict wizard training ("You're a wizard Harry") to enable more wizards for use in the fight to regain what is lost. 

- The priesthood of Sigmar is now even more zealot in the way it conducts itself. They are now seen as even more important in the recreation of the empire that has been lost. 

- I would come up with a name such as "The Time of Restoration"

Anyone else add any ideas to keep the 30 year old fluff alive?

• Like 4

I think it would be more in line for Ulthuan to become like an Atlantis and that the great magics that were in place has managed to preserve the Island below the depth

I would probably go the other way that Age of Sigmar has gone and say that in the glorious "Final Battle" like that Karl Franz pulled a Sigmar and stopped the hordes of Chaos but he and his entire army was killed except for (Need a name) who would become the next Emperor. 

• Like 2

Yes a new map with new borders. 

I think the image of Nagash fighting the giant horde of chaos would be cool! As he is re-animating the newly fallen dead to fight again but for him. 

I think the Lizardmen should land their ships in remote valleys and moutaintops...which would leave them more scattered in enclaves around the world. 

I think the Tomb Kings would be able to continue really as they were....

Agreed about Nagash. After all the carnage his resurrected forces will no doubt be formidable now. 

Love the idea about enclaves across the old world. I would have to look at the map and pick places along the equator to put them to make sense fluff wise but it would make them a lot more playable against other forces in the world now they have settled in enclaves. The fluff could also read that they needed a presence across the world to ensure that the Chaos Invasion was repelled and could be controlled whilst pushing them back. 

Great ideas guys. Keep them coming! :) I have got a huge painting commission on at the moment but once I'm finished i could have a go in Photoshopping the new world. :)

Well, instead of the empire somehow breaking the chaos attack, I think it would be better if the undead did that. Basically, Nagash shows up, raises the dead behind the chaos horde and breaks them against the struggling empire line. I also would think it might be interesting if the empire used similar magics to the "wall" that they had previously erected to some how break the empire away from the north during the respite. So basically the lands of the empire split with the western portion breaking away. The resulting earthquakes devastate the skaven armies traveling underground and flooding much of the underway.

The lands of sylvania are held in place by the carsteins, creating a separate undead kingdom. (by the way, Nagash took the tomb kings army with him to sylvania. However, Setra was revived by the chaos gods...so perhaps he was able to split them away from Nagash once again?

I love the input on where this is going! I think it should be a duel breaking of the chaos forces. Last ditch final stand by the human races, elves and dwarves and the chaos forces not being able to fight on two fronts with the undead attacking from the rear. The chaos forces being overly confident led to their downfall and eventual retreat back across what was once the empire.

I kinda think instead of just one big wall (John Snow comes to mind) smaller re-inforced castles and structures are built on what is left on the edge of the northwest part of Ostland and Ostermark. to protect against further invasions.  

What about something like this the forces of the Empire meet the forces of Chaos head on, Nagash drawn by the magnitude of death shows up and starts summoning the dead and reanimating the freshly dead wreaking havoc among the chaos horde. However so great is the storm of magic and use that it tapes out Nagash for a while, allowing Setra to step in and start stealing some of the undead forces back and maybe taking a chunk out of that Arabic country (I cant remember what its called) while the duel between Franz and Archaon  shatters the world breaking not only the force of chaos but the land below, causing a rift in the land of the empire to occur and the ocean to flow in and create a river which could help form a barrier for the empire held lands and that captured by chaos....with a giant fortress being built in the land between the mountains and where the new sea is. 

From what i understand the battle between Karl Franz and Archaon happened deep in the empire. If a new river was to occur it would need to stretch thousands of miles to the north and also thousands to the south. It would also make the Empire teeny tiny as that was all that is left. Unless the battle location was changed and done further north near kislev? That would allow still for a large chunk of the empire to remain and chaos to have a hold further south than the Northern Wastes.

Well I dont mean for the river to turn the empire into an island but rather make it more of a peninsula so that the land bridge connecting the main bulk of the empire and that controlled by chaos would be a narrow section between the new river and the mountains. 

Something running very sharply from the north to southeast. 

Similarly we could create a "dead marches" where the bodies of all the fallen create a swath of land that is filled with poisonous and deadly swamps where nothing grows that create a barrier. Kinda like Lord of the Rings. 

Morning guys

So after GW killing off my favorite piece of fluff I am getting more and more drawn to start writing and doing an unofficial "Alternative Ending" to the End of times proposed by GW. ...

- The dwarves return to some of there kingdoms however many are now over run with green skins and "The 4th Age of Conquest begins" to return them back to dwarf ownership. 

As a fan of the dwarves over the years/editions, I would want them to retake a hold or two by virtue of being so bitter and stubborn that they're willing to die reconquering them and/or would rather see them completely smashed to utter ruin than continue to be occupied by their hated foes.  So maybe the bag a couple and maybe they give the occupiers the finger and collapse a couple others back into piles of rubble from within at some key foundation structures known only to the dwarves (Don't touch that lever, Beardling!)

Given that (I felt) they were always depicted as paralyzed in their struggle to reconnect their kingdom between ancestral reverence and their drive to settle grudges, I'd like to think there would be aspects of their society who are willing to tip that social balance to the extreme a bit more without having to sport a mohawk.

• Like 3

Love the dwarf story Bosco! I can totally see them being bloody minded and blowing up thousands of years of work just because they don't want the rats or green skins to get their treasures. Also like the idea of generally pissed off dwarves that aren't slayers. There is so much potential.

They just strike me (again, my own opinion of their fluff) as being so bitter about the fate of their empire and the ever-increasing insults to their past glory that they'd eventually decide "Fine, if we can't have this/these/it, then no one can!" and then start tearing things down in grand fashion while consolidating their strength in the remaining ones.  

This is, in part, an extension of them having already collapsed access to treasure vaults when holds were overrun to deny the spoils to the invaders in different passages of fluff.  I'm willing to bet they eventually go full scorched-earth on the possession front and expand that approach to entire lost-holds.

• Like 1

Personally I have a vested interest in kislev and tilea but I will withhold opinion until those with a better hold on the fluff give their opinion.

The brets idea where a knight finds the lady sounds awesome. I would suggest Tristan the troubadour finds her and then travels the land using his bardish abilities to proclaim her reappearance.

Personally I have a vested interest in kislev and tilea but I will withhold opinion until those with a better hold on the fluff give their opinion.

The brets idea where a knight finds the lady sounds awesome. I would suggest Tristan the troubadour finds her and then travels the land using his bardish abilities to proclaim her reappearance.

Well I would probably have Tristan the Troubadour being the hearld for the knight or even become the Bard-Knight!