AoS Beastmen Battle report

Fought two small games last night at game night with my daughter.  We both played beastmen.  In the first game, which was an introductory game for her, she brought a Brey Shaman and a herd of 10 Gors with extra hand weapons.  I opposed with a Beastlord with a great axe and a herd of 10 Ungors with spears.  We met in the middle after some maneuvering and the battle was quickly going my way due to the Beastlord who is simply a....beast.....in combat.  The Ungors brought nothing to the table, but the superiority of the beast lord was turning the battle, until the Brey Shaman got lucky and rolled a 9 on his casting and summoned a Ghorgon.  The Ghorgon charged into combat just as the last Gor fell, and the Shaman wisely fled.  Once the Ghorgon got in, it was all over.  He was a mammoth tide of carnage that even the beastlord could not stop.

In our second game we added some warscrolls.  My daughter stuck with her Brey Shaman and 10 Gors, but added a 5 hounds, and 3 minotaurs.  I kept my Beastlord, 10 Ungors, and added 5 centigors, and 6 bestigors.  In this battle, I put my centigors on a flank with the bulk of my force in the center.  The kiddo deployed pretty evenly.  My first turn saw me advance but little else.  On her first turn, she shifted her entire force to my left flank to focus on the centigors.  It worked well and left my hard hitting bestigors out of position.  She was able to get a charge with both the minotaurs and the hounds on the centigors.  I was frankly very surprised how well the centigors did.  They died, but it took longer than expected.  2 wounds each really helps, and their 4+ save in combat is great.  They are a great unit I will use again.  But in the end they were no match for the minotaurs.  

By the time the minotaur / centigor scrum was over, the Gors had charged the Bestigors.  The order of battle was important, and the kiddo wisely maneuvered the order to have the Gors swing before the Bestigors.  The dice turned and the poor Bestigors were nearly wiped out before ever swinging a blade.  The combat did get too close to the Ungors however, who were able to 3" pile in and help out.  But by that point the swinging door of the Minotaur/Hound flank closed in and it was all over.  Oh yeah, and just about that time she managed to summon another Ghorgon, which was just salt in the wound.

All in all two very fun games.  We both agreed that the star warscrolls were the Minotaurs and the Ghorgon.  The centigors and the beastlord also got an honorable mention.

• Like 7

I have two rules questions. The rules seem to go roll to hit, roll to wound, roll saves, then multiply successful hits by the number of wounds the weapons does. Is this how you played it? I've seen a few battlereps online and they seemed to do the hits*wnd before saves.

Also, since bases don't matter, did you stack bases to get more models within range? Basically, let a model stand on another model's base in order to get within range.

We roll saves first. Then unsaved wounds are multiplied by the wound profile of the weapon.

We stacked at times, but even then 1" attack is SMALL. You do not get as many people in the scrum as you think.

Finally, pile in only allows 3" towards the closest model, so it's not easy to maximize guys in 1" to attack

We roll saves first. Then unsaved wounds are multiplied by the wound profile of the weapon.

We stacked at times, but even then 1" attack is SMALL. You do not get as many people in the scrum as you think.

Finally, pile in only allows 3" towards the closest model, so it's not easy to maximize guys in 1" to attack

1" weapons aren't that great,especially on larger based models.Unless you have an outstretched weapon arm you will be hard pressed to get any attacks beyond the front rank.However take spears on Grots and enjoy the poke fest!