List Building Restrictions

What types of armies are you concerned/worried/etc about seeing if there weren't caveats on list building?

What type of Army would you play/like to see if there weren't caveats on list building?

Main worry/annoyance would be boring armies, which just spam multiples of the same few models or squads, probably across multiple detachments. Assassins in particular.

I'd like to play a "united imperium" list which has all my imperium armies represented.

I'd also like to play that Tzeentch daemons + thousand sons "counts as legion of the damned" (currently banned via the ITC's ban on come the apocalypse allies).

What types of armies are you concerned/worried/etc about seeing if there weren't caveats on list building?

So assuming no restrictions on number/type of detachments and no rules changes (2+ rerollable and Invisibility nerfs, ranged Str D nerf) I think you'd run into some serious problems.

Deathstars become vastly more powerful; it is almost trivial to buff up a Seer Council or Screamerstar to nigh-untouchability. While the Culexus Assassin can counter such units, it is not a universal counter- Ravenwing units can still achieve rerollable 2+s without resorting to psychic powers, as can most Daemons of Tzeentch.

Eldar Str D weapons mean that any moderately-expensive unit without an invulnerable save is toast. Knights become a non-option and non-flying vehicles/MCs likewise.The Eldar codex in general scales up noticeably in power.

The detachment limit doesn't drastically change things, although you can expect to see Tyranids allied into other armies pretty regularly at least at the beginning.

If it's just opening up Detachment limits, without taking away the Rules Changes, the things I see causing issues are the really cheap Detachments, where you can drop in basically just the bits you want, without Tax Units. Inquisitor+Servo Skulls, Assassins, the Tyranid Spore Field Formation, things like that become way more appealing when they're not burning a Detachment "slot" in addition to their Points Cost. Knights and Legion of the Damned have a higher base cost, but the lack of Tax Units puts them in similar territory.

Honestly, I find a decent number of my lists don't fill three detachments anyways, so I don't think the detachment limit is a real issue. I have yet to find a situation where I wished I could bring four detachments, though I assume it will happen eventually.

The issue with cherry-picking like that, pretre, is that you get some synergy issues (not to mention deployment issues for those CtA and Desperate ones.) Combining Flyrants and other shooty stuff can work, for example, but there are lots of "strong" elements that don't necessarily work well with other parts of armies. And with three slots to choose from, you're often better off investing deeper into your existing three armies rather than adding three more armies to the mix.

• Like 2