National 40K Narrative Campaign

I think this answers the question

" In certain cases, such as Imperial Knights and the Astra Militarum Tank Commander, these Heroes would use the Legendary Vehicles creation system as it contains more appropriate upgrades. "

Fail. Yeah, missed the Astra exception because it still doesn't register as being Imperial Guard....fail.

Since I had to but a level two to get a vehicle hero I now get to make a hero commissar and a someone else....btw here is my hero tank 

Royals Defiance

While engaged in an interplanetary campaign as Imperial aid to bring Tinia III into the fold of the Imperium the 4th Destirian Royal Guard was tasked with the cleansing of an entire hive city sector against a lightly dug in minutemen force supported by minor line infantry elements.

While engaged in a major push to finish clearing the sector once and for all, the 4th deployed their force for a standard breakthrough and surround maneuver to crush the final elements of resistance.

Hopefully the Emperor was protecting the poor souls whose fates put them at the head of the 4th armored assault that day for instead of auto rifled armed habbers they were met head on by a force of heavy armor. The illfated offensive ground to a halt just as quickly as the high explosive anti-tank rounds shred through transports and transformed the street into a burning scrap yard. It was only by the ruins of their vehicles blocking the road that the 4th managed to pull back in shape and establish a defensive line.

However after 3 uneasy hours the expected attack never happened. While nervous guardsmen attempted semblances of breastworks among half-ruined habs and the shattered chain of command attempted to reestablish itself the sounds of gunfire could still be heard. Like a ghostly musical the flashes of high caliber weapons  created dancing shadows upon the walls as night fell upon the confused regiment.

The hive city was silent for the crunching of rubble beneath the boots  and the commands under hushed voices as the 4th advanced in the morning. Each building after the next was empty. At the site of the massacre there was not a soul alive, only small burning fires among the torn wrecks and the bodies strew everywhere like discarded children's toys but to the amazement of the commanders of the 4th was that for every wrecked Imperial vehicle there was the remains of a enemy tank, for every dead guardsmen there was a mangled body of a enemy trooper.

Hidden inside a nearly destroyed hab like a dragon after a legendary feast lay the beast responsible. Lamost unrecognizable as the Lemun Russ Vanquisher the entire armor was coated in a thick coat of dust and dirt, covered in scars where shells glanced off its armor. Piles of rubble spotted the tank where it had fallen from shells hitting the building and a layer of gore crusted the treads. But the Royal Defiance was alive. 

Been saying that custom heroes must be selected from the primary detachment, but the more I re-read the rules, the less I'm seeing any basis for that.

I think I can pick from other detachments, but if I do, I still must pick my warlord from the primary detachment, so I'll never be able to use those fixed warlord traits.

Anyway, decided to test it. Submitted a Legendary Drop Pod for my DA, despite my army being registered as Grey Knights. We'll see.

• 4 weeks later...