October 10 2015 AMBASSADORIAL TOURNAMENT

Lord Hanaur

My hands have been really shaky for the last few days, so I'm not exactly happy with the results I've got, but once I slap some grass powder on a couple dozen more bases, it'll all meet the tournament requirements. Then it's just pack it all up and hit the sack.

Just rapping up mine as well. All most forgot my lictor. Poor guy was feeling Stealthy with his shade gray.lol

See you in the morning.

eldar won in both of the two brackets. Two drastically different list.

Ap said he was there to make a point on some type of princable. He told everyone that his list was a pure jerk list and he didn't seam embarrassed about it in the lest. Not really understanding what the point he was trying to make personally.

The point he was trying to make, and I'm putting words in his mouth I'm sure he'll say it himself, is that 'unmodified 40k' is broken as heck. ITC is a very good medium for removing the kind of lists that he played.

• Like 1

I find it interesting that people keep describing my an Alex's lists as "couldn't have been more different in approach" even though we both ran large numbers of Scatter Bikes (he had 15, I had 18), both ran Farseers, both ran Wraithknights, and both ran Warp Spiders. True, he used the 600pts I spent on my extra two Wraithknights to buy a wide assortment of other units, but our core lists were actually very, very similar.

Ap said he was there to make a point on some type of princable. He told everyone that his list was a pure jerk list and he didn't seam embarrassed about it in the lest. Not really understanding what the point he was trying to make personally.

Pretre essentially got it, but to use my own words: I don't think allowing multiple superheavies/GCs is a good idea in this format. Heck, I think you could make a decent argument for banning the Wraithknight entirely because it's such an insanely hard thing to kill (in two of my four games, not a single Wraithknight died) and so many factions simply have no way of handling it- however, that is setting an unpleasant precedent and I can understand why LH would be hesitant to do it.

I would like to see tournaments use systems and list-writing constraints that are as fair and balanced for everyone as possible. I'd like lots of different factions and armies to have a shot at winning because diversity is good. When I see systems that don't promote this- or, worse yet, reward the opposite- I'll argue against them. But, if it comes down to it, the most convincing argument is results, and that's why I do things like bring the triple-Wraithknight or the Turbo-Laser Warhound (for the 6E Escalation tournament I went to) because I feel that a lot of people who imagine a unit/strategy/etc to be entirely fair and handleable in a vacuum will feel very differently when they get direct play experience with it.

Were the two top eldar lists the only lists to have Super heavy/Gargantuan creatures? I can't recall seeing any others.

The only superheavies that could have been legal were the Obelisk, Tesseract Vault, Wraithknight and Stompa (although I guess theoretically the Stormsurge could have been for a Tau Ambassador who had registered really, really late and built/painted one in a hurry), and I know none of the Ork or Necron players brought LoW units.

• Like 2

I could have brought a Lord of Skulls, but I couldn't find a list I liked with it. It just eats up way too many Points for what it does.

How'd you do, WR?

I took 5th in my bracket. Lost two games to the clock, and then picked up the other two pretty handily. With a moderately high model count, and a tendency for having lots of Combats going with multiple Init values, there can be a lot of fiddly bits that can chew up a lot of time. I do like the list, and I think for a faster player, it could be a pretty good one, but for me, it just doesn't really have the ability to compete with time limits.

• Like 1

I don't think that there's any question about it- the Eldar codex is just straight-up stronger that any of the others, especially considering the limits of the tournament. That's not to say Eldar are an automatic win, as playing poorly can always lose you the game, but between Str D weapons, Scatter Bikes, Wraithknights being vastly undercosted, abundant Rending, powerful psykers, excellent formations, and all the other stuff, Eldar are starting ten paces ahead of most armies.

All my tournaments have a 0-1 restriction on Super Heavies etc... This one will have in the future. I have always been notably against the escalation of the game and I anticipate ALSO having this restriction for the Ambassadorial Tournament in the future. This has nothing to do with the results. There was a built in mission downside to taking three WraithKnights. I strongly feel that the General decides the outcome. We have proof that a 0-1 restriction would not stop an Eldar general from performing because one did! But I am not def nor blind. A 0-1 restriction on super heavies would encourage ever more REPRESENTATIVE forces and THAT is the strongest argument of all for a tournament like this that strives for that goal.