Ordo 8th edition

oh i said d3 and randomize wounds early.  i think its rather stupid you can pinball two dudes, one of the sillier rules by GW.  mathematically that makes more sense and would hopefully appease everyone.  the wounds d3 and d6 scatter(makes it about 25% success which is just silly) is what i was in a fuss about.

• Like 1

I saw a neat suggestion on the 9th age thread: cannons do d3 wounds, but have HKB.  I think that might be a great change... reducing the average wounds but leaving the chance for a one-shot kill on big monsters.  I especially like that it would make cannon sniping characters much less effective.

thats using the thinking cap buuuut i would give a flat out heck no to that!  if there's anything even more annoying in the game than cannons, its the 'oops i rolled a 6 and you're dead' things like characteristic tests and KB/HKB.  i was hoping KB would be more like doubling wounds or something and get rid of it.  like really, your stupid [big bad swear word]ing single grave guard killed my T7 W6 1+ lord with one swing *eye roll*... that's going in the opposite direction of my taste. 

Well I don't bring him unless I'm bringing a comp 19 list ???? and u at least have slaves to fall on the knife. I have a few copters... and then m3 fun times trying to slow motion themselves away from that which they probably won't because dwarfs always get outdropped cause they are elites... Just give me my damn bear cav and I'll call it a wash with cannons ????

DP: I totally agree, I generally dislike any die rolls where an unlikely outcome has disastrous consequences. That's why Micah and I made Look Out Sir an auto-pass in our 8th revisions draft.

I think that in this particular case though, 6 wounds is going to kill pretty much anything anyway, so the more prominent effect of that change is to reduce the average (while still allowing a potential one shot on a Dragon). So the odds of a character surviving a cannon shot get much better (e.g. 3 wound Lord survives on a 1-4 roll for wounds, instead of just 1-2, minus of course the 1-in-6 to wound HKB roll)

So this instance of HKB actually has a counterintuitive effect of reducing the odds of a one-shot Lord kill, because of the accompanying change from d6 to d3 wounds.

EDIT: removed erroneous Ward save stuff, of course HKB is a single roll as is a multi-wound hit!