Unique units and ICs that can only join certain types of units

A few of the supplements have released Unique versions of squads, like "Raphen's Death Company," "Phodian Hive Warriors," and "Egil Redfist's Blood Claws." Are these units treated as their "generic unit type" for the effects of ICs which join that unit subtype?

For example, Lukas joining Egil Redfist's Blood Claws? Lemartes joining Raphen's Death Company, or a Tyranid Prime joining the Phodian Hive Warriors (for his bonuses to WS and BS to warriors)?

RAW, no, just like you can't take Khan in something that calls for a Captain unless there's a specific note allowing that.

RAI, no one knows for sure, but there have been FAQs for similar situations in the past, and they've always said "Yes, the Doom is a Zoanthrope, Old One-Eye is a Carnifex, etc.", so my assumption would be that the intention would be to go for it. I also really can't think of any situation where it would be problematic, rules-wise or balance-wise.

RAW, no, just like you can't take Khan in something that calls for a Captain unless there's a specific note allowing that.

RAI, no one knows for sure, but there have been FAQs for similar situations in the past, and they've always said "Yes, the Doom is a Zoanthrope, Old One-Eye is a Carnifex, etc.", so my assumption would be that the intention would be to go for it. I also really can't think of any situation where it would be problematic, rules-wise or balance-wise.

I'm not talking about formations or slot manipulation (like lukas being a free slot with the blood claws).

Just looking at Lemartes and wondering if he can join a unit of "Raphen's Death Company" when his rules say he can only join units of "Death Company." Seems RAW, but a second opinion seemed reasonable. He's an IC this edition, not an upgrade character.

That's what I'm talking about, too. A Unit of "Raphen's Death Company" is not, as currently written, a Unit of "Death Company" for any purposes whatsoever. Army List selection, Joining with an IC that can only Join DC, special Rules that would trigger on "Death Company" Units, whatever.

However, GW's FAQs have always indicated that Unique Units like this should generally be treated as the regular equivalent for their interactions with special Rules that call out the generic version by name.

That's what I'm talking about, too. A Unit of "Raphen's Death Company" is not, as currently written, a Unit of "Death Company" for any purposes whatsoever. Army List selection, Joining with an IC that can only Join DC, special Rules that would trigger on "Death Company" Units, whatever.

However, GW's FAQs have always indicated that Unique Units like this should generally be treated as the regular equivalent for their interactions with special Rules that call out the generic version by name.

So, I should probably just play it as Lemartes can join them, unless my opponent objects?

On a side note, Cassor the Damned is that character DC dread from the same supplement (Deathstorm). He's got no listed strength value and paired blood talons (2x strength). Can't find any FAQ stuff on this guy. Do I just run it as the stock DC dread strength (6)?