one of the many reasons i left iowa...

Don't Panic

so i lived on a river town in southeast iowa.  mayflies basically swarm the city for about 2-3 days and then die leaving layers of them scattered everywhere and yes they are slippery.  one thing ive been really happy about living in the PNW is the lack of billions of bugs.  so gross... the fish do get a good eating, if there were many left in that extremely high phosphorus/nitrogenous mississippi river :(

• Like 2

one thing ive been really happy about living in the PNW is the lack of billions of bugs.  so gross... 

Oh so so much this. I can deal with the late summer early fall spider boom so much easier than swarms of mosquitos, roaches, the myriad of other crawling/flying things of St. Louis.

• Like 1

Same thing happens in Tucson wit flying ants.  After the first big monsoon, they all hatch and come out for a day-long orgy.   They are EVERYWHERE.  Pools are covered by thick layers of what looks like black carpet, they get in your clothes and hair, and they die leave mass graves all over the city.

• Like 2

We never had problems with Mayflies just miles away from Burlington. I think it was a river thing. I do remember seeing them in Burlington though. I still am not quite used to the different flora and fauna out here. I miss crickets and fireflies. I'm Ok with the lack of cicadas though. I am also not thrilled about the abundance of spiders in this area. 

• Like 2

I'm from Burlington lol. But yea it's always right on the river. Since you're from the area, I always found it hilarious that steamboat days almost always coincided with mayflie hatching(generally happens in June not July). I've actually had very few spider situations and I live next to a forest. I've seen way more in Iowa and have yet to see giant wolf spiders here which are freaky

We never had problems with Mayflies just miles away from Burlington. I think it was a river thing. I do remember seeing them in Burlington though. I still am not quite used to the different flora and fauna out here. I miss crickets and fireflies. I'm Ok with the lack of cicadas though. I am also not thrilled about the abundance of spiders in this area. 

I'm from Indiana myself, and definitely miss crickets/fireflies.

But I do love this part of the country, too! :)