Fight For Your Game

If you have been reading the past couple days of posts you will notice the Hamsters are up to something. We are attempting an idea that is going to shock this world of epic proportions. Yes right now the boards look like Picasso on an Ipecac binge but stay with me guys, we will get there. Here is the chance you never had to defend (or explain) the game that you love so dearly.

I am calling all gamers. ALL GAMERS. Tell me about your game. In specific;

Name of Game:

How Accessible are the rules:

Models that are needed (proxies that can be used):

Average Length of Game:

(Best Part): Why should I play this game? What about it will interest me as a gamer?

We've all had this argument in person before, especially when the new edition of 40k came out and my ears had to take a vicious beating about how fantasy is the wonderful valedictorian child my mother never had. We have passions about why we play, let's hear it. This is your chance.

If you're having a hard time finding the motivation just imagine that I am berating your game, which isn't very hard because I do just that all day long.

Let's do it guys.

• Like 1

Sure, I'll make a post on the internet.

Name of Game: Kings of War

How Accessible are the rules: Free online! Starter versions of the rules and some armies are on Mantic's website, everything else is available in the playtest Google Docs linked at the end of the post. The hardcover and softcover versions of the rulebook are coming out in August.

Models that are needed: Warhammer Fantasy armies on set-sized movement trays. There is also official support for using lots of unit fillers and making awesome dioramas. Lots of opportunities for aspiring hobbyists and a great way to keep those Fantasy models from gathering dust.

Average Length of Game: 1 hour per 1000 points. 2000 seems to be the sweet spot so probably 2 hours. I'd tack on another 30-45 minutes for learning the rules to whatever game size played.

Best Part: Kings of War is a streamlined, balanced version of Warhammer Fantasy. It has rules either in play or in the works for every WHFB army and is adding a few factions of its own as well. If you like fantasy-themed mass battle games that put a heavy emphasis on movement and tactics with a low emphasis on random elements, this is the game for you.

Beta Rules

Current Armies

Playtest Rules for more armies

• Like 3

Spinespur
There are some beings so evil, so vile and so horrific that even Hell itself is not sufficient punishment.  For these, the worst of the worst, there is Spinespur -- a city that exists entirely within a pocket dimension, where no one ever really dies, and history's most vile sociopaths and ax killers are given free reign to terrorize each other.  But something is wrong with Spinespur, and the city keeps growing -- growing by pulling bits and pieces of the real world into itself, and sometimes dragging the innocent in as well.  War rages across the city has different evil factions vie for control, and the rare faction of heroes fights to simply survive another night.  The factions include Carinvale, a collection of perverts and sex fiends lead by the disturbing Mr. Jingles; the cannibalistic farmhands of Slaughterhouse, who control the countryside; the dark mysticism of the Church of Hate lead by the Anti-Pope; the Redeemers, reformed killers striving to rise above their ignoble origins, and the Men of G.O.D. who use powerful Angelic technology in a desperate campaign to protect the innocents trapped in this hellish realm.

Rules: The rules are very accessible, while also being robust and offer an amazing range of options despite their fundamental simplicity .  The game uses a "blood die" mechanic where one rolls 3d6 to hit with 2 dice of one color and 1 die of an alternate color, and the alternate die also doubles as your damage roll.  The models are well-balanced against each other with a range of options and abilities that make for interesting play.  I'd compare it to Infinity -- it doesn't have a reaction system, but models have lots of skills that work a lot like Infinity skills.

Models:  5-8 per side. Many proxies available though the actual minis for the game are largely reasonably priced.  Some characters in the main rulebook don't have models yet and must be proxied.

Average Length of Game: 1 - 1.5 hours for a typical skirmish.

Why you should play Spinespur:

1) The rules are mind-blowingly good.  Easy to understand and clearly written, yet very powerful with lots of options.  You can kill other models and take their weapons!  Terrain actually matters!

2) I have models for all the factions and will happily run a demo game for you.  If you like the game, it's pretty easy to get started: $25 for the rulebook, plus 8 models at an average of $9/model, so less than $100.

3) Games play quickly and you can generally get 2 or 3 games in a single night.

4) As a Horror themed skirmish game, Spinespur draws heavily on 80's slasher flicks and horror comedies and has an very offbeat and different feel from your typical fantasy and sci-fi.  Spinespur tends to be comically gory, and is sometimes flat-out immature, but nobody says you have to play the clown rapist...

z1FX17P.jpg?1

CHEERS!

• Like 3

Game: Bolt Action

Rules: Arent free but very simple to learn.

Cost of Entry: Very cheap for 40k sized armies. ($100 for all you need for a 1000 point army) 

Length of Game: 2 Hours

Why you should play: Just like saga every unit from army to army is the same. A 75mm Howitzer is going to be the same no matter who is firing it, but the few army specific rules are what makes a unit better for specific factions. The game play is very simple and the best thing about the game has to be the initiative system. For every unit you have you put a dice in a bag with the opponents dice of units as well, draw a dice whosever it is activates a unit.  This makes the game flow be very fluid instead of just back and forth. 

• Like 1

Game: Flames of War

Rules: They have rules for EVERY nation that took part in world war 2 and have amazing campaign systems. 

Length of Game: 2-3 hours for a good sized battle. 

Why you should play: This is a 15 mm game which means painting up an army is markable easier to paint up. The game has a very similar system to that of 40k in terms of move, shoot and assaulting. They have around super unique missions with attackers and defenders based upon what type of regiment you are using. The moral system and command structure accurately represent the way it would have worked in the actual war.

The game features a very in depth tactical spectrum with airborn troops, heavy tanks, artillery, air support and dug in infantry. 

• Like 1

Game: Frostgrave

Rules:  This is a recent ruleset that was just released. The hardcover, full color rulebook is $15 through Amazon ($12 for the Kindle version). The rules are pretty simple. The most complex things are the spells, which are available for download from the publisher's site.

Models: Frostgrave uses 28(ish) mm models, on any type of base. A full warband consists of 11 models (a wizard, and up to 10 hirelings (which may include an apprentice)). It's a game that's specifically designed to be model agnostic, so just about any Fantasy or Medieval Historical models will work. Low cost of entry, and you can use (or borrow) models that you have already on hand.

Length of Game: 45 minutes to an hour. Plenty of time to get in multiple games, or play something else the same night.

Why You Should Play:  If Ronnie James Dio made a tabletop miniatures game this would be it. You are a bad-ass heavy metal wizard, leading a band of expendable hireling scrubs into the frozen remains of an ancient city to search for magical treasure. This is the spiritual successor to Mordheim, but with (supposedly) more balanced rules. It's a campaign system, so your wizard gains power and experience over games. Your hirelings can be upgraded with equipment, but not stat-wise. They are expendable. The combat rules are simple and reward ganging up on folks to beat them down. The real strategy comes with your spells. You've got over 80 spells to choose from across 8 schools of magic, and spell selection can really determine your style of play. There are also lots of rules for wandering monsters and the like, so the environment can be as hazardous as your opponent. 

For more info, the Lead Adventure Forum now has a Frostgrave section.

Here's a review of Frostgrave.

• Like 2

Game: 5 Men In Normandy

Rules: online for next to nothing, since I backed it I have a few copies as well.

Play time: an hour at most

Models: Bolt Action Models work great as it is a WW2 skirmish game.

Why you should play:

1) this game has a very fun campaign system that advances well over a month with random events happening which shape each mission, like secure the building but also make sure to save that random farmer so you gain a follower. Very detailed game with personal advancement.

2) The game is intended to be a movie. You ever seen band of brothers where they follow 1 or 2 guys for a while, then sometimes they are all running or all shooting? That's how the game works. Every turn you roll a dice. On a 1, everyone shoots, on a 6 everyone can run. On anything else you can activate 2 models.

3) If we are playing Bolt Action we don't need to buy multiple sets of models.

4) They also have rules for fighting zombies. Which was totally a WW2 thing. Right?

• Like 1

Game: Hearlds of Ruin Kill Team

Rules: Free online!

Time:1-2 hours

Models: All your 40k stuff!

Why you should play:

1) we all know the rules for 40k, there are just minor tweaks. We also all have the models already.

2) It breaks up the monotony of 40k. The game plays completely differently than 40k when you have so few models all working independently.

3) They have a campaign system in which you build your base which supports how many points you can have and buy people "battle honors".

4) The missions are really quite fun.

5) Since its a skirmish game they have access to so many more factions! Like Deathwatch or the Imperial Riot Police! Along with there being so many cool upgrades you can buy. Want an army of all Sneaky ratling snipers with silencers? Done.

• Like 1

Game: Starship!

Rules: Free! (I think or not available but I have it)

Time: 2 hours

Models: ANY SPACE ship model you want.

Why you should play:

1) You can customise your race with a ratio of racial abilities and Weapons

2) Completely customizable ships. As in you choose how many points of armor, shields and guns are where.

3) 3D game! Played in flight bands.

4) it's a D10 system so lots of variety in dice rolls.

5) The last game I played was between two suns (so flight bands 1 and 5 burned you) in a huge gravity rift. The board was doing more moving than my ships!!!

6) The game has a campaign system which is okay, never tried it but seems pretty simple with rules for repairing and supplying your fleets and building new ship designs.

6) The game plays like a better Battle Fleet Gothic, rules make a lot more sense, there are an infinite number of races and crazy weapons and you get to choose your models.

• Like 1

Game: Firestorm (Armada and Planetfall)

Rules: Free on Spartan Games

Play time:2-3 hours

Models: very well detailed for space ships and 15mm (I think) tanks and space aliens.

Why you should play:

1) Well there is a campaign System where your space battles and your planetary invasions can be fought at the same time and interact with each other.

2) They have changed mechanics so that 6's can either mean just 2 succeses or they can explode depending on what you are doing.

3) In planetfall everything happens really quick and with back and forth activation it is very much a game of trading punches.

4) Armada has cleaned up the rules a lot since Dystopian Wars days and the rule book is easier to naviagate.

5) They have put out a lot of races which makes the battles quite diverse with each race having a very unique play style and look, Dramatically so.

P.s. The ships are great models to use if we play Starship!

• Like 1

Game:  Song of Blades and Heroes

Rules: $15 for the rulebook on Amazon, or $8 for the pdf at Ganesha Games website.

Time: 30 mins - 2 hours, depending on army size

Models: Any fantasy models in any scale; designed to be model neutral.

Why you should play Song of Blades and Heroes:

1) Nominee for the 2008 Origins Award for “Best Miniature Rules”

2) Use a simple web app to custom build units around the miniatures you want to use.  

3) Incredibly simple rules still allow for complex strategy and diverse armies.

4) Excellent for pick-up games. 

5) Has numerous expansions that add campaign play and other options.

Game:  Mutants and Death Ray Guns

Rules: $14 for the rulebook, or $8 for the pdf at Ganesha Games website.

Time: 30 mins - 2 hours, depending on army size

Models: Any post-apocalyptic models in any scale; designed to be model neutral.

1) A sci-fi/post-apocalyptic variant of Song of Blades and Heroes, it uses most of the same rules.

2) Heavily influenced by the original Gamma World -- it's basically Gamma World: The Skirmish Wargame.

3) Has campaign rules that allow your ragged band of survivors to grow, prosper and mutate!

• Like 1

Game:  Deep Wars

Rules: $70 for the hardcover rulebook, or $30 for the softcover, or $15 for the pdf at Antimatter Games website.

Time: 1 - 3 hours, depending on army size

Models: Very nice collection of models available from Antimatter Games; models are hard to proxy due to unique nature

1) Based on the Songs of Blades and Heroes rules, Deep Wars vastly expands these rules and adds new layers of complexity.

2) Deep Wars is unique in that the battles take place entirely underwater.  As a result, all of the units "fly" and the battles take place in three dimensions!

3) The models are gorgeous and a worthy addition to any collection.  Here are some of mine:

CtPTmoA.jpg7ew66Sb.jpgChAlBMx.jpg

• Like 1

Game: X-wing!!!

How Accessible are the rules? Very! They are free online, are part of the very cheap ($50) core set, and the FAQ/Errata is regularly updated. The rules are easy, smooth, and 99% unambiguous.

Models that are needed: X-wings and TIE Fighters! You know, the stuff you loved and collected as a child.

Average length of game: 75 minutes

Why you should play:

This game is easy to learn, quick to set up, play and take down. The models are relatively cheap, come preassembled, and prepainted. You can buy a ship you want, cut it open, pop out the cardboard tokens (it is FFG after all), and put it on the table.

The prepaints are better than almost any other prepainted miniatures game, but repainting them is fun too--great opportunity to practice painting engine glow. The plastic is light but sturdy so they can be stored in cheap, compact containers--no expensive foam cases necessary!

FFG is a well established company with a very open line of communication with their players. They regularly post teasers showcasing upcoming releases, they host forums on their website and have said that their developers do peruse them to see what the community is asking for. Their developers have also been seen to attend tournaments and give impromptu Q&As, commentate on recorded battles, and give interviews on podcasts!

Because of the ease of getting started, the well-supported rule set, and beloved Star Wars theme it has a rapidly growing and vibrant community. This is what makes going to tournaments so much fun. I've seen a wider cross-section of people at X-wing tournaments than any other game system I've seen. And because it's such a quick game, you get to meet and play many more enthusiasts than you can in longer games.

And the tournaments are well-supported too. FFG has releases tournament software, squad list forms, etc. They also have incredible prize support for the low entry fees! Rare alternate cards, acrylic tokens and templates, and store credit for usually only $10!

If you're not into tournaments, there are more narrative ways to play the game. There are over 20 different missions that come with some of the ships, and narrative campaigns that come with each of the 3 epic ships.

Bottom line:

If you're a gamer and/or a nerd, there's something here for you.

• Like 1

Game: 40k 

Why you should play it: You all know it! Most of you have Armies for it! 

The reason why you should play is because Gamermancy is doing a super cool themed camapign in which you can create and grow characters, and your battles actually mean something! Help the different factions fight over different planets with specific terrain rules which suit each unique planet! There has been a lot of work put into this campaign and it looks real clean and sharp. 

http://www.gamermancy.com/the-inquisition-war-intro.html

• Like 1

Game: Flames of War

Rules: They have rules for EVERY nation that took part in world war 2 and have amazing campaign systems. 

Length of Game: 2-3 hours for a good sized battle. 

Why you should play: This is a 15 mm game which means painting up an army is markable easier to paint up. The game has a very similar system to that of 40k in terms of move, shoot and assaulting. They have around super unique missions with attackers and defenders based upon what type of regiment you are using. The moral system and command structure accurately represent the way it would have worked in the actual war.

The game features a very in depth tactical spectrum with airborn troops, heavy tanks, artillery, air support and dug in infantry. 

Another reason to play FoW. This is one of my new command bases ...

4ex8LNV.jpg
FUPX7Yk.jpg

• Like 2

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.