Ork tips needed

MexicanNinja

So, I'm thinking about an Ork list built around 2 units of meganobz.  I love the models and want to paint some.  What are some good supporting choices for them?  Is the bully formation worth looking at?

Here's the sample list:

Main Force: 979

Warboss w/warbike, da lucky stikk, power klaw (135 pts)

Pain boy w/warbike (75 pts.)

20 Gretchin 2 Runtherder's (75 pts.)

5 Nobz w/warbikes, waaagh! banner, bosspole, power klaw, 2 big choppas (285 pts.)

3 Mek Gunz w/traktor kannon's, 3 ammo runts (99 pts.)

Deff Dread w/2 rokkit launchas (80 pts.)

Deff Dread w/2 rokkit launchas (80 pts.)

Formation: 1020

5 Meganobz- battlewagon w/4 rokkit launchas, deff rolla (340 pts.)

1999 points

The Plan:

1) Warboss and Painboy go with the biker Nobz

2) Gretchin claim objectives in my deployment zone

3) Big Gunz shoot flying things

4) Deff Dreads add "fear factor" on the advance

5) Battlewagons deliver the goods that destroy the world!

Looks fun, and it just looks cool in my head.  This is what I'm going to start building after my move this weekend.

• Like 1

You need one for each unit, definitely.  

Honestly, I've gotten a LOT of mileage out of 2 units of 3 in trukks.  They are cheap (160 pts per, including the trukk and bosspole) and they work great.  The extra speed is nice but survivability might be better...

If you want to go all-in on Mega Nobz, I'd do the bully boyz and then a unit of 8 with a Warboss with Mega Armor and Lucky Stick and Mad Dok.  That unit will straight up murder it's way through almost anything.  That's like 1400ish points right there, leaves points for some Mek gunz and gretchin as well.  Pretty one-dimensional army, but probably very effective.  

Meganobz are really good. If you're looking at running two units anyways, take three and get the Bully Boyz formation- WS5 is clutch, as is Fearless. Trukks are okay for transporting minimum-sized units, but for larger ones you want a Battlewagon, Looted Wagon, or Big Trakk. (Contrary to what fluger says, the Looted Wagon is only AV12 in the front, but it's at least cheap.)

Meganobz hit really hard in combat and will erase most things, but they die quickly to S8+ hits- this means keeping them away from units of Terminators or the like. You also need to find a way to shut down the enemy's AP2 guns, especially S8+ ones, as those will evaporate them in fairly short order- backfield shooting like Lootas, Mek Gunz, or other support can help a lot here, as can having other forward pressure like units of Boyz or Warbikes. Meganobz are very aggressive and can't really afford to just dally about in midfield, so plan the rest of your list around that. Be very cautious when deploying as the second player- if they lose their transport before you get a turn, they probably won't ever see combat. Strongly consider a Reinforced Ram so that they can plow through terrain without fear; getting immobilized on the Ruin you hid your vehicle behind is not a good feeling.

If you want to go all-in on Mega Nobz, I'd do the bully boyz and then a unit of 8 with a Warboss with Mega Armor and Lucky Stick and Mad Dok.  That unit will straight up murder it's way through almost anything.  That's like 1400ish points right there, leaves points for some Mek gunz and gretchin as well.  Pretty one-dimensional army, but probably very effective.  

I don't really feel that the Dokk and Warboss add much to the unit, given their price. The things that are a real danger to the Meganobz already ignore their FNP and the characters just add more Power Klaw attacks, which you already have plenty of. Anything eight Meganobz can't kill the combined unit is unlikely to be able to handle, either. (And there are not many things eight Meganobz can't kill, short of maybe a Knight.)

I more like Dokk for Fearless and Rampage.  Being able to assault multiple units to get bonus attacks is pretty swanky.  Lucky stick is great for keeping them alive and the +1 WS is great too.  

As you say, probably not the BEST use of points ever, but puts them on par with the bully boyz without characters (which says a LOT about that formation).  

Bully boyz and Zardsnark (sp?) with bikers is about the best buys for competitive Orks.  If Sorienor would chime in, I know his Orks are doing work at Guardian Games.  

Also, there's this:  https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2015/05/27/orks-winning-tournaments-say-waaagh/

And here's a thread about the list and more games beyond that:  http://www.frontlinegaming.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2031

Trukk Bombs! x5 -- 3 MN`s,Trukk w/reinforced ram

But that's already been covered,hehe

Anyhow,when joining a character with a group larger than 3 as to make some sort of deathstar,like in a Battlewagon or somethin...it may be worth looking at a Mega armored Big Mek with a KFF and possibly a Kill saw upgrade.This will give you a 5+invuln vs shooting both while in your transport and up until you are in combat.

Painboy w/warbike (75 pts.)

3 Deffkoptas w/1 buzzsaws (115 pts.)

5 Warbikers w/boss nob, powerklaw, boss pole (130 pts.)

2 Mek Gunz w/traktor kannon's (60pts.)

2 Mek Gunz w/smasha gun's (60pts.)

Formation:

5 Meganobz- 1 w/killsaws, 1 w/boss pole, trukk w/boarding plank and reinforced ram (260pts.)

5 Meganobz- 1 w/killsaws, 1 w/boss pole, trukk w/boarding plank and reinforced ram (260 pts.)

5 Meganobz- 1 w/killsaws, 1 w/boss pole, trukk w/boarding plank and reinforced ram (260 pts.)

Lord of War:

Ghazghull Thraka (225 pts.)

1670 points

So, at this point I am stuck.  I don't know what I should adjust and I don't know what I should add to take this to 2,000 points.  Here are a few options I have:

1) Big Mek w/mega armour and KFF

2) Replace all the Trukks with battle wagons....cause why not?

If you drop Ghaz and a few others, you could bring a stompa...'cause why not...

Base Stompa is 770 points,and you are really going to want to at least have 3 repair meks in there so that's another 45 points.KFF mek in there for an invuln is another 85 points too.

But yeah,sadly Ghaz is pretty much just for a funzie list.

I more like Dokk for Fearless and Rampage.  Being able to assault multiple units to get bonus attacks is pretty swanky.  Lucky stick is great for keeping them alive and the +1 WS is great too.  

As you say, probably not the BEST use of points ever, but puts them on par with the bully boyz without characters (which says a LOT about that formation).  

Note that you don't get Rampage if you make a Disordered Charge. Lucky Stick is nice, but if you're already running Bully Boyz it doesn't help nearly as much- WS5 is good enough most of the time.  (I would likely take a Warboss in the above army, I just wouldn't generally stick him with the Meganobz- he serves better giving a squad of Boyz WS5 and helping them shrug off small arms and flamers.)

*snip*

You really want something tougher than a Trukk for delivering your Meganobz. It's okay when it's only three of them- although personally I still don't like them much- but a 200pt unit can't afford to get stuck footslogging because the other guy Seized or went first. Battlewagons are really your go-to hear due to AV14, but you can get by with other stuff. Killsaws generally aren't necessary and the Bosspole doesn't really do anything when you're already Fearless. Never pay for Boarding Planks on Trukks, they're not going to be alive to matter.

19 Gretchin + 1 Herder is generally considered the "right" build and saves some points.

Ghazgull, as others have said, isn't worth it.

Zhardsnark is a very strong HQ, especially teamed up with a Painboy and/or Lucky Sticks warboss. More Warbikes would also be good.

Smashas are kinda middling. Traktas, Lobbas, Kannons, and arguably Kustom Mega-Kannons are the preferred weapons.  Add some Ammo Runts to your Gunz to ensure they do their jobs properly.

Base Stompa is 770 points,and you are really going to want to at least have 3 repair meks in there so that's another 45 points.KFF mek in there for an invuln is another 85 points too.

But yeah,sadly Ghaz is pretty much just for a funzie list.

Okay, but Ghaz is 225pts. Stompa is a transport, so you could drop a trukk for 50pts. That's 275pts there. List total above is 1670, so that's 1395pts if we remove ghaz and the trukk. With target of 2k, that means you really only need to drop 65pts more in order to bring the stompa.

I know, a support crew (or Suppork Krew) would be nice, but just think of it as an improved trukk and don't worry about the lack of support.

Drop the Bosspoles on the Bully Boyz: They're Fearless.  Also drop the Boarding Planks because either your vehicle and re-rolling one dice on the charge will get you into close combat, or your ride is shot out from under you and you're footslogging and most likely running to catch up anyway.  Plus 15 points is far too expensive for their supposed benefit.  That'll free up another 60 points for you

I played a (mostly) all-Meganob themed list at OFCC last year and TSHFT in January.  Ghaz was OK for the OFCC, but freeing up the points for Looted Wagons (and their 3 Rokkits each) was more important (even if they were carrying Grots.) Ghaz's invuln save and allowing his unit (and only his unit) of Meganobz to run and charge never saw enough use to justify the extra points, same thing with a Big Mek in Mega Armor with a Kustom Force Field... I was always in combat so quick it hardly ever bounced a bullet.

In my list two BattleWagons carried one of the units of 5 Bully Boyz, while a Mega Warboss backed up with the Mad Dok and three other Meganobz filled the other.  The other two units of 5 Bully Boyz and two units of 3 Meganobz (the only units with Bosspoles, which never got used) all rode Trukks and did "Krooz Missle" duty.

-I'm not a fan of nob bikers. For 15pts less you can have a full unit of 15 warbikes (or 25pts more to add the pk nob). Sure, not everyone has 15 bikes lying around but I think regular warbikes are by far the best unit in the book.
-I don't see any reason to take 4 weapons on the battlewagons... just one in case of a weapon destroyed result.  First turn they should be moving flat-out, and 2nd turn dropping off the Bully Boyz. After that..who cares?  Oh, and don't forget reinforced rams.
-Dreadnaughts are not that great, especially with shooting. You need to run them every turn to get any benefit from them...take skorchas if anything. I think more mek guns or lootas is a better option.  I would go with 4 lobbas (all with ammo runt of course) and 2 KMK's.

• Like 1