Questions about gun emplacements

Xavier319

I have a cool idea for an army, which i'll go into later when i hammer out the list.

my questions are this... do vengeance weapon batters HAVE to target the nearest enemy? if i get the battlecannon one can they only shoot at the nearest enemy? and what boks are the tarantulas out of?  and the other space marine ones, like the hyperios AA batterys and stuff. I"m trying to make a really cool 'perimeter defense' type army, showing an iron hands outpost being attacked and defended by serf troops, while the space marines come in to defend their command structure.

I have a cool idea for an army, which i'll go into later when i hammer out the list.

my questions are this... do vengeance weapon batters HAVE to target the nearest enemy? if i get the battlecannon one can they only shoot at the nearest enemy? and what boks are the tarantulas out of?  and the other space marine ones, like the hyperios AA batterys and stuff. I"m trying to make a really cool 'perimeter defense' type army, showing an iron hands outpost being attacked and defended by serf troops, while the space marines come in to defend their command structure.

RAW, Vengeance batteries "target" the nearest enemy. ITC (and asking most opponents) will alter this to the nearest damage-able, as in 7th you can target units you can't actually damage at (like targeting a flyer with battle cannons).

IA 2 (second edition)

Look up those Mortis Dreadnoughts and Mortis Contemptor Dreadnoughts. Walkers, but they are exactly the sort of the "perimeter defense" the space marines would employ. Tarantulas and hyperios AA batteries are there too. As are rapier and quad heavy bolter artillery units.

That Wall of Martyrs Imperial Defence Emplacement, does have some good merit here, as it grants stubborn, the aegis cover save, and re-rolls when overwatching with heavy weapons.

A Vengeance Battery shoots at the nearest legal target- so it will "ignore" enemies that are locked in combat as well as those it is forced to Snap Shoot at (the Battle Cannon version, anyways.)

Pax hits most of the relevant units you'd care about; you might also consider a scratch-built version of one of the Realm of Battle tile emplacements, which can have some neat stuff.