GW's pricing of AoS

Where the hell are you going for dinner that is $20 for two? Anywhere date worthy and I am looking at $60 for two people minimum.

Our favorite burger-joint here in the NW, KillerBurger, is $8.45 for me for a great burger and unlimited fries. $5.95 for her with unlimited fries. That actually comes up under $20. We NEVER leave hungry.

Even if we 'upped our game' to Applebees/Ruby Tuesday or equivalent, they have plenty of entrees around $10. We both generally drink water. Same for the two Mexican places we enjoy, and those include free appetizers.

Sometimes we go cheap and hit Taco Bell right next to the theater. That usually comes in around $10-$12 total

Hammering an Outback or Spaghetti Factory usually runs us around $30, but it's across town or we're rarely in the mood for those.

Are those places not 'date worthy'? $60 is pretty steep, at least to me. I live in a city of 165k people, though. Maybe you live in Seattle or something? We also don't do alcohol, which can save huge $, obviously.

Damn, now I want a burger, dude, and it's your fault. :)

-Tim

Our favorite burger-joint here in the NW, KillerBurger, is $8.45 for me for a great burger and unlimited fries. $5.95 for her with unlimited fries. That actually comes up under $20. We NEVER leave hungry.

-Tim

Okay that is understandable and cheap. 

But Applebees? Outback? Even The Spaghetti Factory? Oh hell no. That is just overpriced mcfood, really there are so may options that are way better for the same or not that much more in price. That's divorce complaint time if we go there for a dinner, but then we both really love good food.

And yeah I live in Seattle so even nice burgers for two when you add in fries is hovering at $20 and that's not including pop, much less a beer or wine.

• Like 1

Its always been a pricey game, and the models were almost always quite nice. The issue now is that you need so much more to actually play the game.

In the mid-90's, two tactical squads, 5 terminators, 5 scouts, 5 Assault marines, a razorback/rhino and a Captain used to be a nice sizeable force for an enjoyable game, now that's a mere pittance for what you need to play. When you go to a game shop and there are 8-12 vehicles on the board, or 200+ models on a 6x4" table, I think GW has done an excellent job of selling models to a player base that expects to drop a mortgage payment to play their game.

If you don't like the model prices, or the rules, or the player base (Or a combination thereof), don't play. I made that decision 5 years ago, couldn't be happier.

Just wanted to point out that its looking more and more like AoS will be a game that plays very well with a model count not far off from your description of a mid 90`s SM force:).And most likely will prompt fans to have several armies from the differing factions of a smallish size rather than the more traditional huge amount of models from a single faction/book.

So despite GW`s prices,AoS will likely still be a much lesser buy in than previous versions.And its even more friendly to team play for those who like large multiplayer battles,Apoc like even:tup.

Remember,if this was the usual version update of the game(as in 9th ed) then we would have already dropped 100.00+ on rules and at least one army book by now without even buying any plastic so theres that.

• Like 2

It's this thread again. Everyone change your smoke detector batteries...

Done? Okay. See you here again this time next year.

I was thinking the same thing. 

Remember, everyone, support your local game store when you can.  For all other times, there are ebay, bit sites, and 3rd parties. 

• Like 2

Remember, everyone, support your local game store when you can.  For all other times, there are ebay, bit sites, and 3rd parties. 

Yeah, I totally agree. Granted, I've spent enough at my LGS on other things that I don't feel guilty at all getting most of my GW stuff on eBay/internet or through forums/trading. I used to run a store of my own for a few years back in the 90s, and I know every bit helps! :)

-Tim

Now more than ever (being that there are no more GW events) play the game with whatever figures you like. That's how to impact pricing. I used to be 100% GW (except for a few super modified figs snuck in here and there ???? ) as I played in official GW events. As GW made the (dubious, I think) decision to abandon events, I now purchase whatever the heck I like (and indeed have already dropped a big pile of cash on the good folks at Raging Heroes for a sh*tload of new dark elves when they are ready)

• Like 3

I'm with Lion.   As soon as Ard Boyz disappeared I no longer felt the need to have an all GW army.  

And yet people are having a nice civil discussion. So if you don't want to talk about it...or read about it, how about you stay out of it?

Because he's right.  This is an old topic and old argument that isn't going to go anywhere.   Besides, his post is just as civil as you telling him to stay out of it.  :biggrin:

• Like 2

Because he's right.  This is an old topic and old argument that isn't going to go anywhere.   Besides, his post is just as civil as you telling him to stay out of it.  :biggrin:

Old as the topic might be - AOS isn't, and this thread is about AOS's price-point. At least I thought it was. So really - the discussion isn't -that- old, technically, since AOS is less than a month old. ;)

It becomes a more interesting discussion when you figure in that GW has made the rules AND army lists for a brand new game - totally free. Have they ever done that before? Not that I recall. So on that front alone, the cost of getting into AoS is certainly cheaper than the 'norm'. This also seems to be a pattern other companies have gotten into, as well (KOW rules and most of their lists are free. Infinity rules are free. And so on).

To me, that's a -good- thing for us, as consumers.

-Tim

• Like 1

A) the post isn't about the topic

B) he's mocking the thread

So no, that really isn't being civil. This topic is about AoS and how GW is going on with its pricing. Yes, the rules are free, but I'm not sure of their worth just yet. :) Now the warscrolls do have value. That was a bit of work to get those done. So props to GW for making them free. But that doesn't justify the new commander guy to be $40. He's a single pose, no options model.

Granted, it is actually two models. The lord celestant is $33 and that is just one terminator basically.

Well here's to hoping that GW keeps putting out the limited battle boxes.