Making an alternate bastion?

I guess I had forgot, that the bastion kit is the new bastion kit, because GW already made an old bastion kit.

$_57.JPG

If the above is a WYSIWYG bastion, then how much flexibility to bastion conversions allow?

You can use either of the dimensions ofthe legit GW ones.

You say that, but honestly, I don't think it matters much. I mean, within reason, sure, but the building rules really aren't that OP, and making it an unusual size or shape really shouldn't unbalance the bastion any.

Yeah, it'll bug some people, but unless modeled for abuse, it won't bug them enough to stop playing. Especially not an issue if it looks really cool, or is a fluffy addition to the army theme.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Taller means fliers can hide better wider means more Los. Unless you going same size or smaller your model is going to be Waac more often than cool ;(.

Buildings aren't broke but controlling Los can be.

• Like 1

Taller means fliers can hide better wider means more Los. Unless you going same size or smaller your model is going to be Waac more often than cool ;(.

Buildings aren't broke but controlling Los can be.

Nothing in my collection is tall enough where having an extra tall bastion would afford any additional LOS blocking. Bastion's pretty big to begin with.

As for model sizes, I've really found that the bit regarding making your model taller or shorter being unbalancing is just whining. The model's size does affect the game, but it doesn't change any balance, the size just alters the limitations of the building and can create new strengths and weaknesses - which don't affect balance provided the dimensions are consistent within the game.

In example, I could field the FSR without any weapons as a bastion and it really wouldn't create any balance issues. There may be some WYSIWYG relating whining, and I suppose I could deliberately design an army to maximize the increased building width, but once it's said and done, there really isn't any issue that is game defining unless I am truly modeling for advantage. We go by the model, as per the SA rules, so I see the "Bastion" (FSR) as having a single fire point in the front and 3 access points. It's a medium building. Heavy bolters only if modeled on.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Smaller building few will complain, bigger more will complain so your fsr example is missing the point.

Keep in mind buildings are immobile platforms that block Los. They also block movement routes too. Increasing its footprint could block a route for my tank. A knight being taller means less cover better Los for guns, a pro and con. As long as knights base size is right assault stays the same. Knight being smaller is a major advantage.

Look at it this way buildings being bigger are clear advantageous. Models advantage is based on role, assault want to be shorter so can weave through cover.shooting want to increase firing lanes so want a height advantage. Buildings are brought to control foot print, Los, firepower, etc.

Smaller building few will complain, bigger more will complain so your fsr example is missing the point.

Keep in mind buildings are immobile platforms that block Los. They also block movement routes too. Increasing its footprint could block a route for my tank. A knight being taller means less cover better Los for guns, a pro and con. As long as knights base size is right assault stays the same. Knight being smaller is a major advantage.

Look at it this way buildings being bigger are clear advantageous. Models advantage is based on role, assault want to be shorter so can weave through cover.shooting want to increase firing lanes so want a height advantage. Buildings are brought to control foot print, Los, firepower, etc.

A shorter knight would certainly run into LOS issues with their weapons and charges (can't charge what you can't see in 7th). In general, shorter models run into lots of LOS issues in 40k. Opponent made a "prone" vindicare on one of those bike bases. Couldn't get any LOS from the bastion, as the walls were too high. Had to deploy in a crater, much to the opponent's dismay.

I've played the Fortress of Redemption a few times. The bigger building is not an advantage in normal 40k, especially 7th. It's a matter of deployment zones, as the bigger building requires more space, yes has to fit in your deployment zone. You rapidly end up only being allowed a few deployment types for your army. That tower can be advantageous, but often, it just sucks your range out of the unit. Really hurts 36" range units, as they effectively have about 30" or less.