What will we, 40K do, when the AoS Comes?

andozane

OK, as we have all sat on the sidelines (and some joined in), AoS is here and real, and for as far as we can tell, has replaced Fantasy.

So, with the following assumptions:

• Fantasy is dead...AoS is the replacement, there is no 9th ed coming
  • 40K is next.  We will see an AoS style rules system replace our current set
  • GW continues to move down the road of "less rules, more minis"
  • GW does not come out with a balancing system beyond "Bring what you want"
  • This isn't about whether or not GW does this...assume for the sake of this discussion it is happening (I have tons of feelings why I feel it won't, but who knows, right? )

What will you do when the AoS rules hit 40K?

Will you stay with our current ed and all our rulebooks?

Move onto the new rule system?

Look to other games?

Post a youtube video burning your army?

Personally, my gut reaction is staying with current rules.  I like our current edition...no, it isn't perfect, but no edition has been.  Yes, there are lots of crazy combos that have come out, but in the end it seems the meta still shifts here and there.  I'm sure I would try a few games of the new system...but I don't see it sticking with me.

I'm sure I would buy whatever "starter set" comes out, as the models will be cool. 

So, how splintered will our community become?

• Like 3

To assume that it will happen to 40k is to not actually understand how 'dead' fantasy sales were prior to AOS.

Fantasy was less than 15% of GWs North American market prior to AoS.

If none of us buy any 40k- and the player scene dwindles down to 10 guys who mostly just gripe on the internet- I could see 40k getting shaken up to that degree-

Also- I would absolutely still play it.

• Like 1

I *really* don't think 40k will get AoSed.  It sells well as is.  Yes, the formations and Unbound are a move in the same direction, but I don't see them completely abandoning it.  

If, for some crazy reason, they DO go that route, I'll stick with 7th edition.  7th has been my favorite edition of rules so far.  

• Like 3

I will keep my coolest old / new minis… and sell the rest (fire sale prices) and get out of the game entirely.  I am already making moves to diversify my mini gaming hobby - jumping into several skirmish games with interesting minis and rules.  At this point - my current plan is to be gradually moving away from major involvement and investment into 40k - I think Harlequins is my last major investment this year (aside from the new eldar codex- which in fact hastened my exodus from 40k (already have spent the major portions of my gaming money on Infinity, Dark-Age and Warlands in the past 5 months.  I look for that trend to continue.  

Already purchased most of my additions to my harlequin army on ebay - I doubt anymore will be needed.  After the new/ revised harlequin force is done I will be selling off 90% of my 40k stuff still laying around.  I will be keeping my apoc stuff - for that once a year or so game :).

-d

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I will play what ever is being played. Though I imagine I might go the way of the Torg.

I look forward to a new rule set for 40k, I like 7th but think some adjustments would be nice. No would like to see a major rebalancing where 2+ and anti 2+ were rare.

I wouldn't mind aos and I imagine they might just do a major reboot but it would likely be just as rule heavy as 40k is already. As other pointed out 40k is too much a cash cow to simplify.

Personally, I would not be surprised if GW re-releases WHFB at some point. It is just like GW to make you think the hobby is dead, only to re-release the hobby and make you buy new models again.

Let's see, the guy I traded my metal karamazov to was playing 40k via a GURPS-like tabletop system. Can't recall who that was, but it was an ordo guy a while back. Could try that game for 40k.

When they came for Epic players, I said nothing because I didn't play Epic.

When they came for Blood Bowl players, I said nothing because I didn't play Blood Bowl.

When they came for Necromunda players, I said nothing because I didn't play Necromunda.

When they came for Battle Fleet Gothic players, I said nothing because I didn't play Battle Fleet Gothic.

When they came for Fantasy players, I said nothing because I didn't play Fantasy.

When they came for 40k I had no one to call to for help.  

• Like 11

When they came for Epic players, I said nothing because I didn't play Epic.

When they came for Blood Bowl players, I said nothing because I didn't play Blood Bowl.

When they came for Necromunda players, I said nothing because I didn't play Necromunda.

When they came for Battle Fleet Gothic players, I said nothing because I didn't play Battle Fleet Gothic.

When they came for Fantasy players, I said nothing because I didn't play Fantasy.

When they came for 40k I had no one to call to for help.  

Thread just got Godwin'd?

• Like 3

committing suicide twice seems unlikely.

You say that, but AoS seems to be selling better than Fantasy.  While I think the whole process was a complete slap in the face to the WHFB community, the fact that sales have been dwindling for years seems to justify GW's choice, but not their handling of the situation.  

via Hastings on Warseer

I have said I was told that Codexes (Codices? how the hell do you do the plural of Codex anyway???) would be gone within 2 years. That might mean the rules for each unit are included in the boxes/free on the net/wd etc.

I do think that 40k rules will become more simplified, why? because GW don't want to focus on making games systems/rules anymore, they purely want to sell models. I do not doubt for one second that they (the main 40k rules) "COULD" become like AoS, but that is my personal opinion, and as I openly said that was me jumping to the conclusion based on how easily they destroyed their longest game world in favour of making more money.

I think rather than being of any use at all this thread is purely scaremongering and misleading. The death of the codex doesn't mean the end of 40k, the death of the army book in WFB was because AoS had ALREADY killed WFB, and AoS had no place for army books.

I could send you PMs over 3 years old discussing the demise of WFB would that suit? In fact if you care to look you WILL find discussions on the fantasy threads about the demise of army books and rolling them into smaller groups of armies (i.e. order, Destruction etc.) think they were by Harry though as well as myself.

Having known MANY people at GW for MANY years I can tell you without any shadow of doubt that things two years out are not unknown quantities to some members of GW. When I was right in the thick of the rumour mill some years back the occasional eagle eyed viewer might even have seen unreleased models in the background of pictures on my painting logs MANY MONTHS before they were released. I was sat happily reading the WoC army book 5 months before it was released, almost 6 months before for the O&G one, so please don't figure to assume that no one knows anything and they're just fishing, some people know a great deal, what they chose to share is entirely different.

Seriously GW don't do things on a whim, whatever is going to happen to 40k WILL already be well progressed, just no-one hears about it until the last minute.

Also not to be picky but my original post say WITHIN 2 years.

Well, I'm glad you were playing 40k at OFCC, because it was great to play you again.  

I have fun 1)painting, 2) collecting - 3) playing - I don't have fun keeping up with rules changes and the last great meta.  I will have at least 3 fully painted 40k armies after this year (hoping) - I will be able to play apoc - but I don't plan on spending any more money on the GW part of the hobby.  IF the books and codexes change where I can't keep playing with what I have - that will be as far as I go.  I am hoping that I will have the other games to fall back on when GW finally kills 40k.  But for me the game of 40k will just about playing it.  The painting and the conversions will more than likely be in other games.  

• Like 3

Gotta admit, I keep hoping GW kills 40k and it gets adopted by another company....

Honestly, I feel that fantasy players got a free ticket to do whatever they wanted with WHFB, because GW is no longer mucking about with their rule system.

With 40k, every edition get's to a point where players are mostly satisfied with the rules, and then GW releases a couple of truly broken codexes, rules, or supplements, and then they release a new edition to "fix" things from the prior edition.

6th ed 40k was awesome until escalation. Some minor issues, but you could fix those with a home-brewed FAQ, if you wanted. Escalation alone created the need for 7th.

Gotta admit, I keep hoping GW kills 40k and it gets adopted by another company....

Honestly, I feel that fantasy players got a free ticket to do whatever they wanted with WHFB, because GW is no longer mucking about with their rule system.

This is a rather rose-colored interpretation. 

The success, and in my opinion the best part, of GW games is that you can get a game pretty much anywhere with little effort. If GW axes 40k, trying to find a game among 20 different homebrews will be difficult. That really doesn't matter though as Axing won't happen. If anything does, AOS'ing will.

Look at WHFB: At this point, WHFB is dead and AOS has replaced it. Hoping that one group or the other comes up with the something to revive WHFB is a pretty long shot. Until they do, the 'standard' game is now AOS. If you want to find a PUG, you have to accept that. 

If GW AOS's 40k, that will be the default game for most people. You can certainly play other variants, but the default is what people will play the most of.

I have to say I love 40k and I would probably just buy other peoples Guard Armies as they sold them for cheap so that I could have what I wanted from when I started oh so many years ago as a wide eyed kid. 

I think what Pax means is that WFB has died but in the wake of its disappearance people are looking to Wrath of Kings and noticing other companies with better support out there for games very similar. 

Mostly agree.  It certainly opened up the door for Kings of War.  

What keeps me in 40k is the community that exists with it.  Were GW to divorce itself from rules-writing entirely, I would hope that a committee like ITC could take up the slack and make 7th ed a living rulebook.  

I'm hoping that the Fantasy community is able to do something similar with Swedish or whatever.  

I've often said that I wish the 40k community was more open to house-ruling 40k on a grand scale, akin to what ITC is doing in small doses.  I would LOVE to see a consensus to raise up a lot of the crappy and broken units/dexes out there to compete with the big guys.  Simple tweaks like give BA scouts the BS/WS bump that SM/DA got.  Give BA access to jumpers as troops. 

Anyway, I wonder if it would be a gift in disguise.  

Look at WHFB: At this point, WHFB is dead and AOS has replaced it. Hoping that one group or the other comes up with the something to revive WHFB is a pretty long shot. Until they do, the 'standard' game is now AOS. If you want to find a PUG, you have to accept that. 

No, WHFB was released. Then GW created a new game called "Age of Sigmar."

Yeah, pretre, I'm not so sure about this.  Even way less popular GW offerings have lived on after GW cut the cord.  Look at Blood Bowl.  

I'm comfortable stating that I think the Fantasy community will keep Fantasy alive for a long time.  

I don't disagree with that. I just think that the main draw of 40k will be lost (that of easy pick-ups and prevalent events). It will become niche like BB, etc.

• Like 2