What will we, 40K do, when the AoS Comes?

andozane

I don't think 40K will receive the AoS Treatment. As others have pointed out, WHFB was drowning, and AoS is their 'answer' to that. 40K is certainly not drowning.

Now, one day, if 40K sales dip down like WHFB's did, then I could see it happening. OR, if AoS sells like hotcakes... then I could see GW looking at that as the next logical step.

Some folks point to AoS 'selling better than WHFB was'... and based on reports, that's really -not- saying much. Is AoS selling like 40K now? Not that I've seen.

BUT... the question was, what would we do if 40K was 'AOSified'....

For me, I'd try it out of course, and see how 'fun' it was. If it's not fun... I'd move on to other things. If it's fun - I'd continue to play it. :)

-Tim

I don't disagree with that. I just think that the main draw of 40k will be lost (that of easy pick-ups and prevalent events). It will become niche like BB, etc.

Fair enough.  

That's why I think it's incumbent upon the 40k community of the PacNW to build ourselves up, so that if GW cuts bait, we have each other to cling to.  

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Fair enough.

That's why I think it's incumbent upon the 40k community of the PacNW to build ourselves up, so that if GW cuts bait, we have each other to cling to.

The difference between blood bowl and 40k in viability of becoming a living dex. My 40k army cost me about $800 my blood bowl cost me about $50.

The ability to keep a living dex alive is cost and accessibility. I don't think 40k could got the way of blood bowl. Honestly 40k would be hard to update with new armies making the game stale after a few years.

All that said I think that is what will happen to fantasy, however there is a lot more affordable options for fantasy models than scifi, especially dark gothic

Honestly though, if there's a living dex and GW isn't actively defending their IP, it'd be easy for third party manufacturers to step in and make new models.  

However, more to the point, even if GW is still putting out new models/rules I'd still want the community to:

1.  Work on growing and supporting itself.

2.  Go through and clean up GW's rules/points as a 3rd party.  

Well... I would point and say

LOLSIGMAR`d!

Seriously though,first thing is the base system they have for AoS is not nearly as different to 40k as it is to WHFB 8th.Actually I would say that WHFB got "40k`d" more than anything,play a few rounds and you will see.

That being said I don't think they would ever just come out with a major revamping of 40k,they are more likely to slowly change things over time finally ending up with a new edition that would probably not be much different than its predecessor yet will be online with online dataslates for all models/units in the game much like AoS does.

Now of course if they do away with the points system then that would cause a huge problem but I don't see that happening,no reason too.

Basically I don't ever see them doing a major revamp to 40k as it would be business suicide but adopting some of the aspects of how AoS is presented,that I can see happening.

Basically I don't ever see them doing a major revamp to 40k as it would be business suicide but adopting some of the aspects of how AoS is presented,that I can see happening.

Some would argue that abandoning the strict nature of the Force Org chart starting with 6th edition and now even more so in 7th is already a major revamp.  I know several 40k vets who have given up on 40k because the force org isn't enforced anymore really.  

• Like 1

Honestly, if what I cared about in 40K was the rules set, I would have jumped ship long ago. I play 40K because I like the fluff and the universe, and it's a relatively easy game for me, so I can hang out with cool people and bs and roll dice and blow stuff up. As long as there's still a community to do that in, I'll roll with it, whether that's a homebrew set or whatever GW comes out with.

• Like 7

Will it happen? I dunno. If AoS does really well for awhile possibly.

Do I like what they have done with 40k with Escalation not so much but that is more from what little I saw of it, escalation forces vs non escalation forces are not well balanced. Will I still keep playing yes especially if there is a community to play and the rules are still available.

Do I like what they have done with 40k with Escalation not so much but that is more from what little I saw of it, escalation forces vs non escalation forces are not well balanced. Will I still keep playing yes especially if there is a community to play and the rules are still available.

It really depends what you bring and what the opponent brings. Some LoWs are fine, and others are very dangerous. It's all fail in a compeditive environment, but for casual or fluffy play, the LoWs are a great addition to the game.

With the number of weapon options and figures, I can't see how they can AoS 40k without wiping the whole thing and starting over like AoS. Too many figures, too many weapons and options that just doesn't work.

I just don't know what's going to happen. I like 40k models even though they keep costing more and more each year. Hell, I even like the Sigmarines/Khorne models in AoS. But at some point I'd actually would like to play with them. Kind of hard to do if the rules don't matter anymore.

The only constant in the company of Games Workshop is that they worship Tzeentch, the lord of change. Change is always there. 

I was a manager candidate at the Baltimore HQ for 3 months a few years ago. I saw big corporate changes three times in that span. They fired Regional managers, then 're organized,' then they fired me and most of my class. This was all in three months.

I am saying this to point out that there is no idea too crazy for GW to try. I believe it is possible for 40k to go the way of AoS, especially the rules for units being in the box. Will it happen? That I can't say as there are too many possibilities.

To say that they are already planning this would be a bit crazy, as they don't even know if AoS is working yet, for the bottom line that is.

• Like 1

GW isn't driven by what works, they are driven by what sells. If AoS continues to sell well, then GW has all of the incentive to switch 40K to a rules-lite format as well. Why? because it cuts down on dev cost. They get to just focus on minis and they will let the community do all of the heavy lifting.

40Kers should be keeping a very close eye on how well AoS does in the next year or two.

• Like 1

The whole AoS of 40k sounds possible - just from a money making point of view for GW.  All the "old timers" don't buy as much - how do you turn over all those old figures - sell the rules with the figures in the box - forcing change - and I would guess getting a whole new batch of gamers on board.  The market isn't the guys whom already have 5 armies… it is the younger set - whom have nothing yet.  As I see it - GW has very little reason (from a money making standpoint) to keep the older gamers happy - if they can sell more new product with a different or replacement game.

Counting how much GW has left behind… in their IP…  its a big pile of discarded stuff - and figures.  (epic, bfg, blood bowl, sq__ts, just to name a few off the top of my head.) - there is no reason for them to support anything that isn't getting them $$.  So changing or dropping the existing 40k format - it's is far from a stretch.  

-d

Just... wow.

As it's been stated, Fantasy became AoS because of poor sales.  40k doesn't have that problem.  It's why it dominates the rest of their product lines.  It's why they made the Sigmarites the fantasy Space Marines.  

And why did 40K dominate in sales? Was it because of the skirmish format and more dynamic figures? The easier rule set? So if GW could keep putting out the same figures, but reduce their costs concerning rules, you don't think GW would go that route? Just...wow.

That I have no problem with and having some sort of baseline for being able to play with those kind of units is a good thing but they also tend to unbalance things outside of prearranged play.

It really depends. All of 40k is like that.

Invisibility is really broken sometimes, and other times, it doesn't really affect the game much.

You dont interrupt the cash cow.... you let it roll.  

You don't let it roll, you 

after_winning_a_bet-14668.gif

If 40k goes the way of Squa...Fantasy battles, I think I'll stick with 7th.  Or I guess whatever my local player community is playing.  Possibly off load my Night Lords and only keep my Knights as display models if I dropped the game entirely.  

• Like 1

If they made the change to 40k I certainly wouldn't cringe at all. I am not very good remembering rules and having a lot less to remember would be a good thing for me. I also like the idea that they will be focusing on printing more models. If they keep the model price point where it is when the books go away all will be good with me.