What will we, 40K do, when the AoS Comes?

andozane

I keep hearing about this, but I don't know where the information is coming from.  I just got called out on this for continuing to spout sales figures without ever actually seeing them.  

Anyone see sales states on AoS yet?  

There's nothing official, but anecdotal evidence from GW stores is that it has been very successful. Couple this with the large number of required boxes for each independent store and it probably did pretty well.

What will I do as a 40K player. 

Most likely, nothing. 

The lack of points and such only effects tournament players to any significant degree. My narrative style of gaming would only be effected in that it would simplify my list building.  :smile:  

For competitive gaming I will still stay with my true love: Warmachine.  :happy: 

I think this is actually a great time to be a miniwargamer. You have plenty of narrative games to choose from, and tournament balanced games to scratch that competitive itch. :laugh:  

• Like 1

Some interesting stuff.

So, predictions.

I think it would not be that surprising if they start making the entire FW line as plastics and sold on the GW site/locally. This would be most practical counter to chinese knock-off models.

It would not be that surprising if GW determines, based on sales, that AOS is doing great and tries to boost it, only to see it flop, because these sales are mainly people buying the set to convert the models for 40k....or people testing the waters and deciding against AOS.

I do think it's entirely likely that GW will create a kill-team scale version of 40k to get new players into the hobby. Since they won't budge on model prices, they need a smaller scale 40k game to increase they player base. Either that rumored warhammer 30k or another.

Now, if GW was smart, very smart, they'd finish their current updating of all the books to 7th ed, make a few new armies to get their setting fully represented on the table (I'm hoping sisters and Dark adepticus), and then they'd switch from forcing entire codex re-makes, to releasing new units/formations in WD or supplements to be bought in addition to their existing line.

It's not entirely practical when I can get 2 Cerastus Knights for the price of a Single plastic knight....

It won't stop it entirely, no. I'll admit, if I'm going to buy a model internationally, I really don't see much difference between UK and china....They both have sucky shipping fees and shipping time. And I really don't hold value in foreign copyright for products only made in those countries..

But if they sold your Cerastus Knight locally, with no shipping fee or shipping time, it would be more tempting to buy the model in front of you, rather than waiting a month for it to arrive from china or the UK. (Especially if made in the USA). I honestly think that's one main reason that the imperial knight kit sells so well - they have it in the store with rules sold in the store.

I suppose I would welcome it.

I have enjoyed the couple of AoS games I have played- and if 40k received simplified rules then I wouldn't have to wade through piles of useless rules speculation on the Internet. No more "can a knight snap shoot a titanic explosion?"

I never wanted to play fantasy, simply because I found the rules to be too stifling and the community rather harsh. I have always been incredibly fond of the models.

I mean, I like painting models and playing games with cohorts. 40k is fun the way it is, but I do think the metric piles of rules and completely unbalanced points system often hinder many players experience.

• Like 1