Mordheim: City of (the damned) Roses - August 2015

ninefinger

i think what i need to get over with mordheim is characters really arent that 'great' in mordheim.  they can so easily get punked so you have to be a little bit careful with them.  ill bring the dwarfs and i will make you beg for mercy next time john... that is if you dont have 30 giant rats by the time i play  you next LOL.

thanks so much jeffery for doing this.  i really had a balast even though my list was pretty horrific(and my rolling... but hey i at least killed an assassin with a pig so there's a minor victory there!).

excited for more! 

Hey now, I can only have 20 +d3...

Yeah that punking was annoying. My assassin is claiming to have a broken leg... but in reality his pride was wounded. And he is now afraid of dogs. And pigs.

Question: Are we doing anything with wagons? I'm seeing them mentioned in the materials.

Another Question: Are Elves OP or something? I didn't see any in the warband list.

That's the consensus, I'm not sure though. My roommate brought a wood elf warband and they have stuff like never roll to hit and +1 wound. There's definitely some Warband strength difference, especially with "fan made" warbands like most elf ones Jeffrey is picking some good warbands for balance though.

Question: Are we doing anything with wagons? I'm seeing them mentioned in the materials.

Another Question: Are Elves OP or something? I didn't see any in the warband list.

There  are rules for wagons in the end of the Rulebook document posted on ordo.  I've never actually playtested them, but I'd like to  work through them sometime.  i've got a couple chariot models, etc. available as proxies.

Elves.  Quite the eternal debate in mordheim.   I'm very open to the idea that they're playable and balanced, but its rarely seen.  The problem lies in that their base stats are all above average.  Movement and Initiative are super valuable in Mordheim.

The biggest potential complaint, is that a 'fluffy' elf warband would have mostly missle weapons, and the ability to climb easily (I 5), making an easy tactic of climbing to the tallest buildings, shooting at anything that moves, and then disengaging their movement.    This is not a fun tactic to play against.  You can mitigate a shooting focused warband with terrain, but its generally easier to just leave elves out of the equation.  

If someone finds a  list, I'm totally open to reviewing it and play testing it.  My tendence will probably be to harshly slash out custom skills and equipment.

There is an elf hired sword available to most 'good' warbands. He's pretty sweet.

-rhuntar

• Like 1

I think what would go a long way to limiting the effectiveness of shooty elves would be to restrict them to short bows.  Say that they are specially suited for city combat, so they only carry combat range weapons to keep from slowing them down.  This gives other warbands a chance to force the elves off of buildings by out-ranging them and picking them off from below.  Elves will still be brutal with close-range shooting, but they would have to come at you to be able to shoot.  The high base stats can be balanced out by a higher cost.

Just BSing, but that's what I would do.

• Like 2

im actually quite fine without elves... them being wiped out and not existing just seems to make sense to me  :ph34r:

You would like that, wouldn't you?!

I'm seriously considering buying my guys an ogre bodyguard now that I have a bunch of extra gold.   The big guy looks like he wrecks face.

• Like 2

Elves.  Quite the eternal debate in mordheim.   I'm very open to the idea that they're playable and balanced, but its rarely seen.  The problem lies in that their base stats are all above average.  Movement and Initiative are super valuable in Mordheim.

The biggest potential complaint, is that a 'fluffy' elf warband would have mostly missle weapons, and the ability to climb easily (I 5), making an easy tactic of climbing to the tallest buildings, shooting at anything that moves, and then disengaging their movement.    This is not a fun tactic to play against.  You can mitigate a shooting focused warband with terrain, but its generally easier to just leave elves out of the equation.  

I am not surprised. I am -always- suspect about 'player made' rules. As 'fair' as we all might intend to be, often there's some 'racial preference' that shines through, intended or not.

If someone wanted to take the Skaven warband stats and use those for elves (changing the names of course to elf-sounding counterparts), I think that would be a good place to start. Skaven are fast, not very tough, and generally have good Initiative... of course, Elves should have amongst the highest LD values, but I am sure a little modification could be done to come up with something decent and fair. Maybe then go through the various warband's 'Special' chart and choose the most 'elfy' sounding ones to make their own chart with, and go from there.

As it is, I see plenty of warbands with tons of shooting already. Personally I wish there was a limit on ranged weapons (i.e. only half your models can possess a ranged-weapon of any kind, etc). But you're also right, using adequate terrain keeps the game from feeling like Necromunda. :)

There's no reason they couldn't start with low I or LD or whatever scores: these are new, fresh, young, etc, members of a warband who become faster, stronger, tougher through experience and play, etc, etc. The Mordheim way! :)

-Tim

Was the Shadow Warrior list official or fan made?

Another question: A certain person believes that parrying with dwarf axes is superior to parrying with a standard sword. I believe this is due to the dwarf axe Parry rule not being edited like the main book's Parry rule. As such, I believe a dwarf axe uses the same parry that the rest of us sword-wielders use. Is that correct?

Another question: A certain person believes that parrying with dwarf axes is superior to parrying with a standard sword. I believe this is due to the dwarf axe Parry rule not being edited like the main book's Parry rule. As such, I believe a dwarf axe uses the same parry that the rest of us sword-wielders use. Is that correct?

Shadow warriors were published in a town cryer (monthly magazine), but were later ruled unofficial in the official faq (http://www.hong-crewet.dk/Mordheim/Rules/Mord_Errata.pdf)

Parry in the dwarf warband should have been re-written, and the dwarf special skill that improves parry with dwarves axes will likely give a plus one or such.

I'll try and update the per when I get a moment.

-jeffrey

grumblegrumblegrumblesqueakylittleratgrumblegrumblegrumblegrumble.... its not the same type of parry though is the issue.  its actually better... as such, it should be better than a regular parry imo for whatever edit is done.  its also 15 gold so yea...

I just tried to make a Dwarf warband, and I feel naked. Only 7 models??? (It doesn't help that I don't own any slayer models) No self-respecting Skaven warlord would ever set foot on the battlefield with less than 21 models.

I've got loaners if you need slayers.

I think my standard build with dwarves starts around 7.  They're a slow starter, (Ba dum pah) but tend to do really well in campaigns in the long term.  Super survivable and the extra shard of wyrdstone per game build them up eventually. 

I've got loaners if you need slayers.

I think my standard build with dwarves starts around 7.  They're a slow starter, (Ba dum pah) but tend to do really well in campaigns in the long term.  Super survivable and the extra shard of wyrdstone per game build them up eventually. 

Curious how the Master of Blades skill interacts with parry being a straight 6+? Not that being able to parry twice with a re-roll isn't already good enough, just wondering how the "parries on a tie or better" part would work.