Super-n00b seeking advice on a second master after Zoraida

orkdork

So I have a whopping 3 turns of Mollyfox under my belt, and it convinced me to drop $$ on it :) And of course, I'm already wanting to order my next crewbox :P

I got the Zoraida crew + waldgeists based on loving the models, and was stoked to find out that they all work together. Love the aesthetic and can't wait to paint them (my paint idea in my head rocks... we'll see if I can pull it off).

I LOVE the mechanic that you make your crew to fit the scenario, and I'm already wanting to scheme about what master I should get next. It's totally jumping the gun, of course, but that's what happens when you can't play but have internet access...

So far, my impression is that I have a crew that can do these things:

Zoraida - Support/movement-focused master with some fun voodoo-doll tricks

Voodoo-doll - I can imagine this gets pretty hilarious with various combos

Bad JuJu - tank and beat up minions, but not so much henchmen?

Salurids (sp?) - super-fast fish dudes. Seem like objective guys, not fighters?

Waldgeists - cover and area-control. Some neat synergy with Obey and Entangle. Tank some things for days.

I see Zor with the golems/geists as great for bunkering a spot (creating terrain + Zor's push everyone away and Obey abilities). I see Zor with fish dudes as jumping all over the board with absurd mobility. In either case, nobody is really dealing the damage. Am I right in my assessment that I have great stuff for positional objectives, but lack the ability to really threaten henchmen/masters?

If so, what would be a good crew to make my set more flexible for combat-based objectives? Though Zor is dual-faction, I'm generally more interested in Neverborn than Gremlins, despite my love for green :)

Thanks!

Orkdork

• Like 1

Okay, First off, right now on the Wyrd store you can get GenCon special sales. That means many things that are not yet available (and some that won't be for a long while) are currently available.

http://giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd.com/collections/sale-specials

There is not a ton of Neverborn in this batch, but you could look at the starterset for some adds (as well as a small Guild crew so you can force your brother to play it). Also the Hooded rider would add some punch to your existing stuff without a new master.

If you want flat out combat though, Lilith is your gal. She is brutal fighter with a good number of tricks up her sleeve (wait!? She has sleeves?). One of her poplar tactics is a grow list where you make your little guys bigger over the game. She has a ton of potential in other ways too.

Pandora is more tricksie so you might want to hold off there for now.

I hear people like Lynch,  though I am not very familiar.

The Dreamer is a sort of hit your opponent where it hurts type master, but I have not seen him inM2E so I can't say much.

and further Colodi and Lucius I am not too familiar with.

Say, has anyone pointed you to pull my finger yet? http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com

Unfortunatly Pull My Finger is slow on the 2E updates.

Lynch is more of a card manipulator/screw with your opponents mechanics type of master.

The dreamer/chompy are the alpha strike master (a lil less in 2e but still bad asse)

Pandora is an alternate damger as most of her damage comes from willpower duel losses and willpower effects instead of def or combat.

Lucius is a manipulate your own crew guy IE he won't kill ya, but hill make the guy with the gatling gun shoot the crap out of you at his direction.

Collidi I don't have much experiance with, but he's more of a minion enhancer/maker type master.

THe dreamer, pandora, lucius are as derk said tricksy in that they don't play as much in the normal way's. So they take a bit more advanced tactics.

Even with saying that most all masters have multiple tactical build/directions they can go. For instance Lilith is a combat master, but as derk said can grow nephalims and or instead bring the forests of malifaux to life to destroy you. or she could just abduct your models swapping them for her's to kill you off one at a time with little sacrifice on her part. (I play alot of lilit)

Looks like some one has not been to Pull My Finger Lately...

A few months ago they did a push to update stuff, they have most masters reasonably outlined, and since Neverborn are pretty popular I think they are better than others. There is stuff that still needs work, but they have a ton of information on most things.

Awesome guys! Thanks! Pull my finger is an impressive site!

Based on your suggestions and what I have read on pmf, Lilith seems my gal since she apparently has good waldgeist/juju synergy.

Hard to pass on chompy though, and I love the pigs and bayou gremlins.

Joel actually opened the Mollyfox floodgates when his wife agreed to play. I will see if Nathan joins in :)

• Like 1

Oh also, if you have a smartphone, look for "The Breach" It has a handy crew creator that you can toy around with builds on, as well as a scenario generator if you are lazy about game setup. Oh and summons reference (so you can see what each summoning master can bring to the table).

Nice pointer on the app! Now I can waste more time dreaming and scheming :)

I used it quite a bit top brush up on the schemes and strategies. I just did not feel I was learning them through play as I did not see each often enough to really feel I knew what was happening. But then I geeked out of them on my phone in my spare time and got a way better handle on what is there and how it worked.

That's exactly what ate a good 20 minutes of my day today :P

I need to get some games to say for sure, but so far, I think these rules rock. The unit stat cards are overwhelming at first, but now that I have it down, it's a nice and elegant game with some outstanding core mechanics.

Just the way in which objectives are determined and crew construction works as part of the game is absolutely brilliant!

• Like 2

I hadn't been over to PMF for a while. Glad to see they finally got it meated out again.

Lilith is my favorite master, but I didn't want to push her too much. She's a gen 1 master but is still very much relavent in the current environment.

I tend to go more nephalim heavy than feinds. (something fun about flinging around a hapless victum from model to model and then delivering the deathstroke to grow a terror tot into a young or a young into a mature nephalim.)

Glad to hear you guys are liking the game!  The more you play the more you'll love.  Doppleganger is a solid buy for any neverborn crew, giving you the ability to cheat initiative with a card from your hand, Mimic actions from nearby models (friend or foe!), and she can take interact actions while engaged.   I'm also a huge fan of Hooded Rider, with some serious damage potential and speed (including ability to drag a friendly model with him).  Like other riders he's fragile the first few turns but late game he's really hard to put down with his armor-like Df trigger.

I agree with the Doppliganger. The ability to cheat initiative is awesome. There are only 1-2 other way's to mainipulate the initiative flip so... That being said I rarely find the points for her in my crews these days. I think she's a bit more helpfull when starting out playing malifaux but as you get into some of the deeper tactical choices/esoteric builds you don't tend to see initiave in as important factor. You can usually set up to fade one activation if the flip comes that way.  There are usually 1 turn during the game that is critical for the init filip perhaps 2 turns, but again as you play more you learn how to mitigate loosing in that situation more effectivly.

Yeah, I find myself soulstoning the initiative more often than should be necessary because I get my master in a jam.

Out of curiosity, once I have Lilith, will I ever use Zoraida? (other than because she is awesomely entertaining) Lilith with upgrades just seems better, even with Juju and co.

It'll mostly be a playstyle choice, I'm not sure if there's anything one can do the other can't also do in a pinch. Reckoning is probably one that would be more up Lilith's alley. Zoraida is basically all about Control while Lilith is mostly Beatstick. Zoraida can really mess with an opponent's crew, especially with Obey. Lilith has a bit of a weakness against Wp-based crews, while Zoraida has the best Wp in the game and I'd say is the more resilient of the two.