The Infinity Run

Raindog

Due to the release of AoS, I am done with GW. After sitting down with the new rules and fluff on vacation, I am looking to make the plunge into Infinity. I like the world and the rules, but I am still scratching my head at where to start. I like the Nomads fluff closely followed by the Haqqislam. Then, the Adriana forces peek my interest. Pan-O has is fine. I don't like Yu Ching or the Combined Army. There was no fluff an Aleph, so I do not have a clue.

I am looking to your recommendations. Is there a learner faction? Is there one that is harder for a newer player. Are the starter kits good buy ins? Do any local stores sell Infinity?

Cheers,

RD

• Like 5

Rain,

If you're in Vancouver (WA), I think Dice Age is the only store that sells Infinity so far.

You know, come to think of it... maybe Mythic Realms does, as well... argh. Racking my brain, been very busy lately. LOL.

As for Portland, not sure who sells Infinity.

The models are indeed very awesomesauce, and the rules are intricate. It actually reminds me a LOT of Warzone 2nd edition, is d20 based, has skill values based on that, tons of interrupt actions (Opportunity attacks), and so on. I watched a bunch last weekend, myself, and have the USAriadna on pre-order and can't wait to get my hands on it. :)

Corvus Belli does offer 'starter rules' that you can look at, as well as the main rules and army profiles - all for free:

http://infinitythegame.com/archive.php

As for ideas on actual factions - someone with far more experience will probably pipe-up about that. :)

-Tim

• Like 2

Get yourself whichever models appeal to you most!  With very few exceptions, every type of trooper is in every army. Just certain armies will have great variety of that trooper, or more interesting combinations.

For instance, All armies will have Line Infantry (basic troopers), Medium Infantry (often better gear, a bump in stats), Heavy Infantry (elite stats, heavy armor, often good heavy weapon platforms), Skirmishers (infiltrators and camo troops), Warbands (usually cheap, impetuous, and good in close quarters battle), Remotes (inexpensive robots to fill utility roles), and TAGs (Tactical Armor Gear - Mechs!).

Certain factions excel at one or more of these roles, though, and some have unique characteristics.

PanO has the greatest variety of TAGs, highest Balistic Skill, lots of hitech weapons, but low phycisal and willpower.

YuJing has the greatest variety of Heavy Infantry, and unique remotes, but rather poor line infantry.

Nomads have the greatest variety of Medium Infantry, and are the masters of Airborne Deployment, good access to tech, and some great hacking. Also a good variety of cheap TAGs.

Ariadna has a great variety of skirmishers, as well as the unique ability to bring mother[big bad swear word]ing werewolfs to the fray.  Good warbands as well.

Haqqislam has the greatest variety of Line Infantry, as well as impersonators.  They have excellent willpower.

Combined Army has elite troopers across the board, as well as being one of only two factions that can bring impersonators - a trooper who actually disguises as an enemy and can deploy right in there backfield!  They have access to the most advanced tech, and solid options throughout every category, though they are pricey.

Aleph is like a 'good guy' mirror to combined - fairly elite, with excellent heavy infantry and warbands, a single but solid TAG, and really good, but expensive choices in all slots.

I hope that off the top of the head run-down is helpful. In essence though, all armies in Infinity fight with the same tools, it's mostly about the combinations of those tools and how many options you have. Pick the models you like the most!

• Like 3

I am in south Portland, but I can find my way to Dice Age. I like that the rules are on line. The US set looks really cool. I am thinking that Ice Zone starter set is cool. Maybe, I can divide out the Pan-O with somebody......

I'd definitely be interested in the Pan-O figs, Rain.

If you decide to go this route and want to split the box, give me a shout! :)

-Tim

• Like 1

You forgot Tohaa! Tohaa are basically the eldar of the Infinity world though they look like a mish mash of Asari and Drell from Mass Effect. They have a couple unique abilities in that they can form multiple mini squads as opposed to having lots of individual models and they have Symbiont armor which basically gives them multiple wounds thus making them tougher but after they lose their armor they decrease in stats.

As far as what faction to choose I don't think that there is a real "beginners faction". Every faction can make any sort of list for the most part it's just that some factions can do it to a greater extent than others. The way I chose my faction was that I loved the look of the models and the fluff and I have been a loyal devotee to the E.I. and this Combined Army with a few small divergences into Bakunin Nomads, Hassassin Bahram Haqqislam and my main factions eternal enemy the Tohaa. I recommend to any new player to pick out a starter box that looks cool to them. Most factions have 3 or 4 starter boxes which include their basic faction as well as sectorials. Sectorial armies are interesting in that they limit the number of units you can pick from to build a list but increase the amount of units you can take from the remaining options. For instance you might be able to take only 1 of a certain trooper in basic army but the sectorial including that trooper allows you to take 5 of those guys instead and in addition they allow you to use a squad mechanic that the basic factions can't do. After you have your starter box then choose 1 or 2 blisters of models that look cool and preferable have some sort of heavier weapon. That should give you about a 150 to 200pt force which is a good point level to learn at. 

The game can seem a tad overwhelming initially as there is a ton of depth to it but it becomes so fun, cinematic and immersive immediately. It's the closest you can get to an action movie on the table top in my opinion.

• Like 3

ha i was thinking of going infinity route as well... ive read up on it and it seems like a sweet game.  i need to sell off my OnG and empire though beforehand.  or maybe ill just ask for bday for the starter... i like the to aleph probably the best for some reason.  then probably tohaa/ariadna.  would love to watch a game sometime!

EDIT: 285 page rulebook............... NOW THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT! :laugh:

• Like 2

Raindog, all of these guys are right in what they are saying. The best thing to do is find the models you like the look and fluff of. The saying in Infinity is "It's not your list, it's you". It's a very true. It's a tactical dice game and all the factions are very balanced. If you want to come by Super Salty Gaming today, I can show you a few things. I'll be there between noon and 6pm. 

• Like 1

Raindog, all of these guys are right in what they are saying. The best thing to do is find the models you like the look and fluff of. The saying in Infinity is "It's not your list, it's you". It's a very true. It's a tactical dice game and all the factions are very balanced. If you want to come by Super Salty Gaming today, I can show you a few things. I'll be there between noon and 6pm.

I am still out of town, but I would love a tutorial in the future..

Eric, Red Castle stocks infinity, though stock is low right now. They restock fairly often though. They have a thursday night league I go to, really nice group of people.

Really, buy whatever figures you like the look of. Its not like warhammer where certain models should never be used, its very well balanced. Starter packs are a great way to go.

• Like 1

If I'm ever in a position to return to gaming, I was thinking infinity and malifaux would be my two primary game systems. I started infinity back in first edition but player support was rather low at that time. It's a fantastic game with wonderful models, a brilliant rule set, and lots of player support from the community and the parent company. Not sure if it's still relevant, but beasts of war had some great introductory videos and guerrilla miniatures games on YouTube hosts some full-length battles. GW finally screwed the pooch for me as well, but I'm excited at the prospect of investigating other game systems more worthy of my money.

• Like 1

Ugh I wish I were down that side of washington, as I would love to convert! 

Great game, VASTLY cleaner than it was before.

Every time I play, there is just more to learn and work with.

Don't let any one fool you in to thinking it is cheap! You start for cheap sure, but after two years playing you will have 3 or more armies hahaha

• Like 1

There are a lot of cool Nomad models.

For me, there's something I love in -every- faction. Some more than others, of course, but when I look through each faction, I see something cool in each.

Its been hard not to start another faction - and I've not played a single game in years! LOL.

• Like 1