The Infinity Run

Raindog

So I am at Game Night, I am looking at the tables, my models, and I find myself wanting more. I am thinking, I could be, should be painting more, buildings and models, and then we need more terrain.Then, I say to myself, Nomads are cool, but what about Haqq. 

My logical brain says to me,"Yeah, but you spent the weekend painting crates and decorating them, not to mention arranging to paint 100 plus Quonset huts, and I painted a building for the club and a walkway.

I watch Exile and Rudra's game with rapt intent. The game swings. Exile is in loss of LT. Then, he swings back and punishes Rudra.

Then, it strikes me game lacks the grand movement of WHFB, but the tables look so much better. The play is more dynamic. Dice sour and tactics go awry. There is no T6, 1+ re-rollable save and 3+ Ward hero. A trained soldier has a chance against the elite. 

As I play Rudra, I find the game is not mechanical. There are so many options and more I do not see. Some are better than others, but I can see the priorities: Cover and Contact. Have good sight lines. Peel away immediate threat and aim for the objectives.

Do my dice have magic to match crit for crit. Yup. Three orders in a row, I match the fury of a spitfire on an Order Sgt with a TR HMG bot. The best play can sour to the variety and whimsy of dice.

In the wee hours after work, I try to fill order written on the steering wheel as I go to work, the gym, honey do's:  spray paint terrain, make more, add layers. I want a table before a fully painted faction. It is ridiculous. I know it.  I never get enough done. There is always tomorrow. 

Cheers,

RD

• Like 3

Crits are really the big 'luck' factor in the game. I think I kinda wish you still get an arm or bts roll from them cause they are really almost too devastating. That saying, rolling a dodge crit or single dice crit is really odds on unlikely. If you compare it to say a 1+ 3++ they are actually similar odds I think 1/6 * 1/3 is 1/18. In warhammer you had to have backup plans but I 100% agree this game is more dynamic in what you can do and the chances of you succeeding as you go down the list seem to be higher than whfb. For example, say a weakling long shot combi has a better chance of succeeding against a TAG than empire spearmen do against witches lol. Personally I kinda like it. You don't have as many stereotypical lists that are an uphill climb against. You always have a chance. I'd rather lose due to bad luck than a list where I have fewer options to win against because what I enjoy playing doesn't match up well against opponents boring WAAC attitude and list. I honestly was getting fairly annoyed with constantly playing against double chariot cannons and giant fast character hordes that I can't kill enough before they get in.. this game lacks that nuisance and it's why I like it

• Like 3

I tried to learn to play fantasy (various editions) about 3 times over the years… and one aspect always burned me … and typically led me to sell off whatever I had started before my 3rd game every time.  I'd set up my army - and at the end of the first turn my opponent would explain why I lost.  Seriously, the fact that I could loose a game simply by setting up "wrong" blew me away… I can't play a game where I don't have the slightest chance to play a fun game after set up.  lol.

Anyhow, I really like what I see with Infinity - and the games I have played.  I really have to agree with you both… I feel like I can have fun, and even a lowly grunt can make a difference with a lucky roll.  On top of it all, the low model count allows me to dabble in multiple factions.  The options on the table - tactics are numerous.  Many times I can't see the "best" of the options because so many can be viable.  I really am enjoying the depth that I see with this game.  

-d

I too miss Fantasy, but do try to remember that Infinity has its dark side as well.  Running into a smoke machine list with your MSV-less monkeys is a great way to wonder why you even try and crits as well are rather frustrating in how overtuned they are (I think they should just ignore armor on top of gain priority, but I can see the European design differences in the current system).  Even more frustrating is when you get into ITS and play missions like Lifeblood (how did that mission even get made?) .

Still Raindog's critique is pretty on point:  the tables look awesome, tend to be truly interactive, and the game has a great feeling of immediacy through the ARO system.  Thinking turns ahead is fun and all, but it's even better when you get to engage in actions due to your forethought.  

I guess my point is that Infinity has many good things going for it, but don't let the fact that it's shiny and new obfuscate its faults.

• Like 2

I too miss Fantasy, but do try to remember that Infinity has its dark side as well.  Running into a smoke machine list with your MSV-less monkeys is a great way to wonder why you even try and crits as well are rather frustrating in how overtuned they are (I think they should just ignore armor on top of gain priority, but I can see the European design differences in the current system).  Even more frustrating is when you get into ITS and play missions like Lifeblood (how did that mission even get made?) .

Still Raindog's critique is pretty on point:  the tables look awesome, tend to be truly interactive, and the game has a great feeling of immediacy through the ARO system.  Thinking turns ahead is fun and all, but it's even better when you get to engage in actions due to your forethought.  

I guess my point is that Infinity has many good things going for it, but don't let the fact that it's shiny and new obfuscate its faults.

Put any game under a microscope where both sides are not perfectly even and you're liable to find 'flaws'. I've always believed that there is no 'perfect game', or that's the one everyone would be playing.

Every game has it's faults, but a lot of those 'faults' are quite subjective, too, which is also important to remember. Some games/mechanics/rules/etc just aren't appealing to some people, but thankfully there's as wide a variety of games available out there as we've probably ever seen. Warhammer Fantasy is dead - but that doesn't mean gaming has to be.

In the end, I always recommend -trying- a particular game yourself. If you like it, great. If not, try the next in line. I'm sure there's one out there that can scratch whatever the itch is that a person needs scratchin'! :)

-Tim

• Like 3

For the last few nights, I have been painting for 45 minutes slot in the wee hours after work. It is terrain, layering boxes and crates in red and purple, or spraying a few small buildings. Friday, I am going to hit the hardware store to building pipes for the table using half in pvc. The test one looks good. The pipes block line of sight and cost a less than a $1.50 to make. I should be able to make and paint six to eight in a short period of time.

Saturday, is the second day of Quonset hut painting. I am hoping to halve a few people come down and add second coats and highlights on the 100 waiting at the club. Join us if you can, it will be used for 40K, Necromunda, or Infinity.

• Like 2

I suppose it is time for a N update. Painting is the game. I bought two Rustoleum primer-paint sprays: one red, one blue. If 40K is grimdark, I am going for One Fish, Two Fish, color scheme: bright, modern colors. My goal is to have plenty of terrain for the Rampage. I want to rip through as mush terrain as I can between now and then. Hence, the Q-Hut project. Sure not every table needs to be dominated with huts, but with 120 with at least a base coat and 40 with highlights, it is a good start. And for those of you who say you can't paint. My daughter painted up six to greater than table top quality. Next time, we have a Q-Hut day, come down and take a crack.

Evil Bryan picked up this cool modular terrain. Most of it has been painted during terrain days. I have painted up the few last hold outs. Exile was tasked with assembling one in pieces. When he brought it back whole, I hit it with green spay. This weekend, I will bring it back and add highlights and contrast colors.

The club has many donated bits. Those are being kitbashed and handed out to Jay and Rudra. They are talented designers and modelers and can do a great deal with little. I am constantly amazed at the talent at the club.

As to games, I played two this week. Against Jay's pretty JSA, my remote ate up his left flank and O-Yori Tag. Then, a Hellcat jumped behind lines and shotgunned his total availability troopers, so he could not score. My second game was against Rudra. Last week, over beer, we talked tactics about his list. The problem with that is he listened and brought a scary list that excelled at the tactics points we mentioned. It is like handing a katana to a ninja. He does not need it to kill you, but with it, he is ever so more the deadly. We tied on scenario points, but he trounced my list in kills.

• Like 4

Infinity Update.

I am starting to paint my second model. Yup, three months into the game and I finally sitting down to paint my go to model, the Nomad TR bot. The base is simply constructed using Rhino doors and plastic-card to signify a hatch the model is moving over. The base is primed black. I am going to paint it first before pinning the bot to the base. For the painting scheme, I am thinking more of the Big Hero Six theme, but may go black with red and white accents.

The terrain front is proceeding well. I build two walkways for the club as well as a small platform. They are sprayed and waiting at the club for more love. This Saturday is another Ordo Senates Meeting, so I am hoping to highlight another dozen Quonset huts during the meeting, or at least, that is the plan.

Last night's game I planed poorly and brought 270 points for a 290 point fight. It did not matter, I won the game, but having another order would have been nice. Since the game was an attempt to get as many models in the opposing deployment zone as possible. I took three Hell Cats and two infiltrators to push toward the opposing zone.

I tried to drop one in Jay's backfield to set up as much chaos as possible. He failed his PH roll and landed in my zone. The other two, waited until turn two, and then walked in the side and walked in the opposing zone. The Spekter waited until turn three to do, the same. The third Hellcat walked in on the last turn and we called the game there.

I am finally feeling comfortable using Aglucials, Spekters, the TR bot, Intruders, Hellcats, and the Reverand C. It maybe time to use a few different models and learn how to use them.

• Like 3

The base for the TR bot of terror is washed and drying. The bot, itself,  has had its first black spray and needs another. I may have to dub it  Once (On-seh) or 11 in Spanish. 

Then, I washed a bit a storage box.

Finally, a Spetr, Intruder, and female Aglucil had the first coat of black over the primer spray. The bases are set for tomorrow for some painting love. 

Apparently, terrain can wait. I need to show some models some love. I looked at few models on Cool Mini for comparison. 

Cheers,

RD

• Like 5

I played a very short, Kill game vs Rudra tonight. He crit'd his WIP, picked side, and told me to deploy. I chose to go first. I did not turtle and tried to control all center fire lanes. I put a Spektr with mines in the center to hide behind transit storage. He hid.

I dropped a Hellcat and walked in on my right flank. I dropped his Bulleteer and tried to take on his FO Order Sgt. Despite a nice array of shots, the Order shot crit'd the Hellcat. I spent the rest of my orders to blast his TR bot off the table and dropping mines on the center of the table.

Rudra ran up his FO Order Sgt. to take out my TR Bot, but took an ARO wound from my ClockMaker. Brother K ran up the other flank and was ARO'd by a Moira with a Sniper Rifle.

He revealed a hidden sniper to take out my TR BOT, the TR Bot crit'd his Sniper and we called the game.

After the game, I sprayed more of my Terrain at the club.

• Like 2