WarPorch

fluger

KcfKRY5.png

So, what is this? 

This is Ordo and Myself trying to kick the gaming community in the Tacoma/Puyallup area into high gear. 

I'm going to be running a Games Day at my house (like I've been doing for a while) every other month, and a small scale 40k Tournament every other month as well.  So, every 3rd Saturday of the Month, at Haus Fluger, there's going to be SOMETHING gaming related. 

The goal here is mutlifold.

1.  Encourage people to have a place to get together and play in low-stress, relaxed environment.  It's my house, you can drink beer, you can stay late, there's plenty of parking, I don't need you to buy anything, etc. 

2.  Grow the community.  Basically, I want my events to be a resource for the gaming community in Tacoma and near by.  Running tournaments and events is stressful on stores because it takes lots of effort and time and energy and doesn't REALLY net them a ton of money.  I'd like to give those stores a place to send people to get games so that they aren't clogging up their stores and can focus on sales.  I want to partner with the game stores in the area to be a partner. 

3.  Get lots of games in.  I'm kinda hamstrung in terms of being able to get out and go to big events, so this gives me the ability to drive people here. 

4.  Grow the player base going to OFCC.  That's Ordo's big event and something we want to keep going.  I've been going for years and have captained a few teams, but I know this area of the PacNW can do better in terms of attendance.  And I know that we have good folks that SHOULD go, because they represent the best of gaming culture. 

There's a few things to note.

1.  This is backed by Ordo Fanaticus who are letting me borrow terrain and tables to make this look all spiffy.  This wouldn't be possible without their support.  (round of applause)

2.  The mini tournaments will be ITC tournaments for those who care about such things.  It'll almost certainly be half points as I don't think I'll crack 12 players (space becomes and issue).

3.  I'm not doing this for money.  I might have some small entry fees for the tournaments to pay for pizza or something, but, in general, I'm going to be running this at a loss because I know driving out to the scary, Deliverance-esque neighborhood I live in is a big ask.  I'm shooting for a potluck atmosphere for both the Games Days especially and also the tournaments. 

4.  This is my house.  I have 3 kids, I'm not a neat freak, there's going to be some messes and it's not ADA compliant.  On the one hand, it's nice to know that I won't be kicking you out at a closing time, and if you need to crash on my couch, you totally can, but I don't have stuff in stock and you can't walk down the street for some chips.  I'm trying to be hospitable and do the best I can, but it's never going to be a fancy venue like a hotel. 

5.  I want this whole thing to be FUN.  The tournaments aren't going to be serious affairs.  No one's going to be telling their grandkids about how they won a 3 round event at my house, but I do hope they will tell them about all the fun they had here over the years.

This has been something I've been noodling at and trying to work towards for the last 3 years or so (ever since I started building my Pinecone Dessert Terrain), and it's taken Ordo's help to get here.  I'm really looking forward to growing these little events into something we can all enjoy and take pride in.  I'm hoping that the people in my area will support this endeavor and use it as a way of getting more games in and meeting cool folks. 

• Like 13

On a slightly derailed side note, I think Warporch would make a great Series of Events, as it were.  If Fluger is running Warporch Tacoma/Puyallup, maybe someone else can run Bellingham(that's north, right?) P-Town/Vanc already has the WOW hall, if Derek were still around and in Bend, I'm sure that would've happened, but yeah.  Just an idea.

• Like 1

Non-celebrity endorsement:

I got back into gaming because of a Fluger Games Day™.

Was newer to the area, knew nobody that played or anywhere to try. Some guy was having a bunch of people over to play and invited me. Being a kinda shy guy, I was worried about not knowing anyone. Everyone was fantastic! Fluger made me feel welcome in his home, VonVikkee, Lord Hanaur, Koyote and everyone else gave me great learners games. I walked into a stranger's home and walked out knowing some awesome people and having had a blast.

Can't recommend highly enough;)

• Like 9

If it's a regularly scheduled thing I may be able to make it down as well.  I've just figured out most of the conversions to bring my Ad Mech in line with the new rules. 

Plus, if you host a terrain building day I can bring down some half-finished themed terrain pieces to donate after they're finished by volunteer labor.

• Like 1

I've got a blog up now for the events: https://warporch.wordpress.com/

I should also keep updating people both here and on Facebook about them.

But, basically, it's every 3rd Saturday is going to be either a Games Day or a Tournament.

If you create a Facebook "business" page for it, you can set it up to automatically post messages.  Set it up to post reminders about upcoming events for you, "Hey guys! Don't forget, Warporch is in Two Weeks, who's coming?!"  kinda stuff, or whatevs.  

• Like 1

Plus, if you host a terrain building day I can bring down some half-finished themed terrain pieces to donate after they're finished by volunteer labor.

I'm waiting to see how things develop, but I think having a different Saturday other than the 3rd Saturday to do something like this would be wise.  Terrain is the currency of gaming spots; the better, more diverse, and PLENTIFUL it is, the better the gaming experience. 

If you create a Facebook "business" page for it, you can set it up to automatically post messages.  Set it up to post reminders about upcoming events for you, "Hey guys! Don't forget, Warporch is in Two Weeks, who's coming?!"  kinda stuff, or whatevs.  

I made a group page on Facebook for it as well as the blog.  It's kinda weird to have both running, but FB didn't give me the layout I wanted, but does have the trackback and social blast aspect that I wanted. 

Terrain day would be great of course.  Perhaps later in this month as we have a nice spread from the last event (Aug 1st) and the first one.  

Of course, I'm hugely grateful and excited about Ordo lending me terrain, but having MOAR terrain is ALWAYS a good idea.  

Let me collaborate with Olivia and come up with something.  

• Like 1

my yurt is 24' dia… thinking I could get a couple game tables squeezed in there - if I move some stuff around (bed/ couch..etc)… that and a porch nearby… and my garage - can be used possibly.  Anyhow - seems like something on th back burner for now.  But I may try to get to one of your events Fluger.

-d

• Like 3