Tyranids

PumpkinHead

A genestealer with 6 attacks. Crazy good. Sign me up. I wonder if these guys have thought about playtesting one game with Tyranids before they release it to the public. Everything in this codex works in theory, but stops being effective once it is put on the table. Man if someone did their job for at least 5 minutes, this codex could be great and fun to play.

• Like 1

I liked the old synapse where they couldn't be instantly killed. But I think something along the lines of, for every synapse bubble the unit is in it gets +1 to its feel no pain role. So 1 synapse gives you 6+, 2 synapse =5+, etc.

How 'bout IWND instead?  I don't want the gribblies being too tough, but having a way to get wounds back would be slick.  Then again, I've already discussed how I would completely revamp Nids to have no armor saves and just FnP and TONS of wounds (like 12 on a Tervigon for instance).  

• Like 1

Genestealers being able to assault out of reserve, infiltrating, or outflanking would go a LONG way to helping them. 6 attacks would make people fear them like they should, but people would just shoot them off the board with the weak save they have currently. Bring em in off a table edge or from an infiltrated position with 4-6 attacks each.....oh yea. People dropping dueces in their shorts everytime you put some down. 

Warriors are easily fixed by upping their Toughness to 5. Currently they just get blitzed out by fire with such a weak save, and instant death killing them off. Even at T5, with a weak save, massed bolter fire rips them up, and at a high point cost, it's not nearly effective as they should be.

It's kind of a shame that the Flying Hive Tyrant has to be the anchor and spammed to make any kind of a competitive list. If more options were viable, that would be sweet!

It would also be nice to have something other than the Barbed Heirodule to be reliable for taking out armor. I think they were on the right track with the Exocrine, but shorted it with only Str 7 on it's shots. If it was Str 10 then we'd have a winner. Same goes for the Hive Guard, up those cannons to Str 10 and all of a sudden Nids have a viable force that can reliably hit armor from a short distance.

Some of the other units like Trygons and such also got weeded out for more effective units. If they could attach to raveners or hormagaunts when deploying, that would be a huge bonus. You have a mini-formation or something where you bring in a Trygon, hormagaunts, and genestealers. Then the opponent HAS to deal with the immediate threat, as opposed to just a single unit at a time popping in piece meal. 

I guarantee you would see more units other than Flyrants. 

What I want from Nids is a threat overload on infantry units that diffuse shooting threats.  

If Warriors are important to kill because of synapse, then you need to shoot them.

If Hormagaunts are fast and can tie you up and maybe even kill you in melee, you need to shoot them.

If Genestealers will kill you in mlee you need to shoot them.  

If they are all pointed right (hormies with adrenal glands and beasts should be about 6 pts IMO, so 30 of them are 180 pts...) then it won't matter that each can be killed easily if they are just flooding you with bodies.  

To further that, I'd make Nid MCs mostly T5 with just a crap ton of wounds.  Basically just double what they have now.  Also, give them 4+ FnP stock.  

So, a Carnifex would be T5 with 8 wounds, but 4+ FnP.  Also, a special rule that states that if it dies in melee before swinging, it still gets to swing with half of it's attacks.  

I wouldn't give Nids a ton of anti-tank options at range, especially not high strength stuff.  E-grubs is a good choice, and Trygons should have their electric attacks gain haywire too.  

I think most nid anti tank should be a fixed chart kinda like haywire but not that good. High strength ends up being used to instant death stuff instead of tank work. Make the heavy stuff poison and "infestation" basically big blobs of little critters like tiny that eat wires attack crew members crawl around the tank looking for the weakest spot.

As I typed this out maybe let all nid shooting be resolved against rear armor as the ammunition crawls around... I miss the living ammunition rules from before when they basically had shred on everything.

Pop tanks in melee like you're supposed to! 

Melee is a really reliable way to kill tanks if you can get there.  Obviously, it gets fuzzy with things like Knights and such, but that's OK.  

But yeah, something like implant attacks.  Maybe for every 6 to hit, you get a haywire test roll?

*completely ignoring pumpkinhead*

I like the idea of FNP rather than armor saves, however anybody with a grav gun might pee themselves, but it gives a great feel for nid specific game fluff. Much like demons and invuls.

Now back to the main topic, how are the Fexes getting around? On foot? My opinion is they die way too quick. Venomthrope might also die too quick. Might look at taking more venoms in different squads or beef up that squad. Fexes will need the cover. Using E. Grubs as the sole hope for destroying vehicles is unreliable as there is only a 1 and six chance for a pen and it wont explode from that. Not to mention a 1 in 6 chance to do nothing at all. It will take at least 2 turns with well positioned flyrants having to land to take out a land raider. Risky.

Yeah the tough part isn't going to be killing the land raider. Any MC can do that in assault, it is going to be what's inside (usually thunder hammers or something stupid of the sort) but your're going to want to do as much damage to those in shooting being most of the time it is stormshield termies which MC's have a hard time in CC but if the S Dule is assaulting then they get off scott free with out taking shooting damage.

However this really only leaves two options:

B Dule

Zoas

Maybe Heavy Venom but uber unreliable

Maybe Hive Guard - Impaler Cannon but BS3. Yuck.

It's a tough cookie to crack. Pods are the next best thing since sliced bread. Maybe the best unit in the codex now. However your list would start to be a lot like mine, which is no Bueno.

Back to the main topic:

3x flyrants w/ egrubs

Malanthrope

Venomthrope

Zoanthrope

4x 3 ripper swarms w/ ds

2x 10 tgants

2x dakkafexs

S. Heirodule

Without obsec I don't see the point in using rippers and tgants (unless its model availability thing).  Can always take Leviathan and a CAD in ITC so why not do that so your rippers and gants can obsec.  Replacing the zoathrope with 3 mucolids makes that happen.

Getting the CAD also opens up option for a fort.  Would consider tweaking the troops such that you can fit a bastion/bunker for your shrouding bubble and free cover/LOS blocking for the flyrants.

• Like 1

If I go with a CAD and leviathon I need 5 troops, and only 2 of those troops will be obsec. So not much of a difference. The list I am looking at currently is:

3x flyrants with egrubs

Malanthrope

4x 3 ripper with ds

Dakkafex

Tyranocyte

Exocrine

S. Hierodule

I still have 85 points left over, but don't have any books on me to check points. I could maybe add a fortification.

• Like 2

If you could go with Mucolid spores you would save 50 pts over rippers. And being rippers can't secure objectives I figure why not. However that means that you also have to have the items to build/scratch build spores.

Keep in mind that if out of range rippers will easily kill themselves with IB Feed. Real jerks if you ask me. If you have lictors I would think about making that work. Since you can have a formation and 1 lord of war in most ITC acceptable list I would look at taking the lector spam list.