Even n00bier-n00b - advice on Guild crew and helper guys

McNathanson

Just to give you an idea of how little I know about the game, I had to call Joel and Micah to even know how to tell what models go with which factions (the little icons on the sides were not visible on the store shelf!), I've not even looked at the rules, or watched the game being played, or anything really except looking at pictures on the Wyrd site of the box sets, and looking at models at Guardian Games.

But looking at the models in stock at Guardian Games, I really liked all three of the box sets from the Guild faction that have cool looking women leaders: the samrai one, the gunslinger, and the flaming sword witchhunter girl.  Also really like the flaming sword girl's minions (the ones with two broken swords) and the casket guys, and the gunslinger's family looks like a lot of fun to paint.  

SO, just wondering: if I pick one of those three, will I be limited in which OTHER models I can add (I know they have to be from Guild)?

How do tournaments work from a model selection PoV?  Do I pick a faction going into the tournament, and use whatever Master from that faction I want?  Or do I pick a Master for the whole tourney, and just adjust the minions?

Are any of those above 3 horrible play-wise, or can I just go with whichever ones I feel like painting and still have a tough and interesting team?

Also I can't find anywhere to look at the minion models (the ones not in a crew box) on the Wyrd website... am I missing something?

See, told you I was even n00bier than orkdork :)

• Like 2

Guild is a solid choice, they are considered a more straight-forward faction, generally focusing on direct damage and ranged combat, though they have some solid melee models and masters such as Lady Justice (assume that's the samurai guild chick you mentioned).

As I mentioned in the other thread, check out PullMyFinger (http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/M2E+Guild) for tactics.

The game is generally played by choosing a faction going into a game, and selecting your master and crew from everything available in that faction based on the Strategy and Scheme options you flip at the start of the game, and with the knowledge of which faction your opponent chose. Generally tournaments follow this format to some degree, though some will put limits on how many masters you can choose from (such as single-master or maybe choice of two masters), or give you a limit on the number of soulstones worth of models you can choose from (ie you can bring 100ss worth of models from which to build your crew each game).

Most players outside of tournaments will go into a game planning to use a specific master or crew to practice a certain crew build or just try out new stuff, regardless of the mission/faction your opponent plays.

Death marshals are great for "pine boxing" other models (they can remove other models from the table temporarily, possibly for multiple turns!), and the witchling stalkers, apart from their decent melee and ranged attacks can remove conditions (very handy in any crew to reduce the impact of negative effects like burning, slow, paralyze, etc).

I'd say any two of those three boxes will give you pretty good adds for the other. All three and you'll be doing pretty well.

Do make sure you are looking at the plastic boxes too. I know GG has some old metal crew boxes and while you can use the models in them just fine, you will not have the proper cards to go with them without picking up an arsenal deck.

Woot!

So now if you want to go pure ranged Firepower you start with Perdita.

If you want magical blastiness and anti-magic go with Sonnia.

And if you want pure melee slicing power go with Lady J (also against ressers).

They are all great but you'll find some better with certain scenarios/opponents.

Oh and Nathan... Bad things happen.

• Like 1

Welcome to the guild.

sounds like you've picked up solid choices for your initial crews.

Some expanded models you'll want to consider are Austringers, wichling handler, abuela,  and perhaps a heavy like the executioner or pale rider. And don't forget about the constructs. Watchers can be very useful for your snipers, and the peacekeeper is a total beast in combat while the guardian can help protect valuble targets. 

Thanks for the Austringer pointer, those guys look pretty awesome, seems like they'd pair well with Perdita's crew, or any of them really... wow, tough models!

Right now the construct models aren't really turning me on except for the Hounds, which I'll probably get a few of.  Pale Rider I haven't seen yet, I'll check him out.

Thanks for the Austringer pointer, those guys look pretty awesome, seems like they'd pair well with Perdita's crew, or any of them really... wow, tough models!

Right now the construct models aren't really turning me on except for the Hounds, which I'll probably get a few of.  Pale Rider I haven't seen yet, I'll check him out.

Austringers were/are considered some of the best models in the game for acheiving strat's/schemes. I didn't want to "wave the banner" for them too much.

Hounds? do you mean the Hunter? Cause the guild has "guild hounds" which are pretty cool too run in pairs. The lone Marshal was the other one I was thinking of, but the pale rider is cool too.  

We played all day yesterday, taking turns holding my little baby and the other two guys playing... fun game, lots of depth, we weren't playing really well by any means but we also put on a chess clock to keep the pace up so that forced some errors for sure.  

Really fun game and I love the new plastics, lots of great models even if they aren't Knights ;)

Thanks for introducing Joel to the game at OFCC... he's the one who really pulled us all in!

• Like 1

Hounds? do you mean the Hunter? Cause the guild has "guild hounds" which are pretty cool too run in pairs. The lone Marshal was the other one I was thinking of, but the pale rider is cool too.  

Yes I did mean the Hunter but the Guild Hounds I can see would be very useful too.  I haven't seen models for them yet though.

I have started just playing and my crew yesterday (my only full games so far) was the Family (Perdita + Trick Shooting, Aura & Hair Trigger, Nephelim, Francisco + Diestro & Wade In, Santiago, Papa Loco, Nino, and 1 Death Marshal).  In my 2 games Perdita was dominant obviously, and Francisco with Diestro and Wade In was a monster, too.  I pulled off a couple pretty effective Papa Loco + Death Marshal bombs which seems cute but I think will be avoided when we get better.  Santiago was kind of Meh but I didn't use him well either so maybe I underestimated him.  I also was unsure of the efficacy of Nino but his Spotter ability seems pretty awesome if he can find a vantage point, and a well-timed headshot is no joke.

I'm looking at adding the Austringers instead of Santiago and Nino, and possibly using Loco and the Death Marshall as situational adds.  Pale Rider looks pretty cool and adds to the Western theme which I'm loving.  Anwyay blah blah, I'm not really trying to get to the fastest "A builds" but I'm finding that there are enough models that I like (especially in Guild) that I think I'll have plenty of flexibility and efficacy without having to tarnish my crew with models that I think are hokey (like the lens-bat-thing!)

Between this and Kings of War 2 I'm feeling much more Game Positive than I have in a long time... I'm actually almost grateful that GW killed of WFB so I could get away from all that legacy bad game system!

• Like 3

Check out the lone marshall. He is a great addition to any of those crews. And I love my guild hounds, as long as you run them in pairs and keep them alive they are great for scheme related shenanigans. If I lose one I send the other right into an enemy models face to tie them down for a couple turns. Unfortunately they are not out in plastic yet and metal ones seem hard to find these days.

• Like 1

Check out the lone marshall. He is a great addition to any of those crews. And I love my guild hounds, as long as you run them in pairs and keep them alive they are great for scheme related shenanigans. If I lose one I send the other right into an enemy models face to tie them down for a couple turns. Unfortunately they are not out in plastic yet and metal ones seem hard to find these days.

That's great info thanks, I was wondering why I couldn't seem to find the Guild Hounds.  And I'll take a look at the Lone Marshall, thanks!

Trying to make sure I know what's available and what isn't:

1) Is there a plastic box for the Hunter models?  I see that 2 of them are in C. Hoffman's box but not sure if the same models are available separately?

2) Does anyone know if between the 2E full rulebook (which I have) and the Guid wave 2 arsenal deck, I actually have the rules or cards for all Guild models?

3) Speaking of the arsenal deck, the side of the box says it contains "46 stat cards, 20 upgrade cards, 3 errata cards"... which cards are the errata cards?

Thanks again,

Nathan

1) I am not sure on hunters, but a lot of the models in the crew boxes are not yet available seperately.

2) Book three was just released at GenCon (in stores soon if not already). It has about 8 new models per faction. There is good stuff in there including campaign rules.

3) No idea

Hunters are not available separately. It doesn't look like they will be either. But there are so many other viable models in the guild that its not a really a big deal. You only need arsenal decks if you are buying any old metals. All of the new plastics will have the correct cards. If you do buy metal models you need to make sure you get the correct arsenal decks. There were two for each faction. There are three books with characters in the current edition. The third books models will come with cards when they are released (probably be awhile)

If I recall the errata'd cards in the 2nd arsenal box are all family and you more than likely have the correct cards in your box. If you buy any metals and need cards ask me first as I have a bunch of extras for the guild. 

• Like 1

That's great info thanks, I was wondering why I couldn't seem to find the Guild Hounds.  And I'll take a look at the Lone Marshall, thanks!

Trying to make sure I know what's available and what isn't:

1) Is there a plastic box for the Hunter models?  I see that 2 of them are in C. Hoffman's box but not sure if the same models are available separately?

2) Does anyone know if between the 2E full rulebook (which I have) and the Guid wave 2 arsenal deck, I actually have the rules or cards for all Guild models?

3) Speaking of the arsenal deck, the side of the box says it contains "46 stat cards, 20 upgrade cards, 3 errata cards"... which cards are the errata cards?

Thanks again,

Nathan

1. as stated already no, not yet. But the trend is to release crew boxes (hoffmans just hit the streets bout 2-3 months ago) and then slowly release individuals from the crew boxes. I would expect hunters to have a box eventually, though you mayhave to wait a while (lotta models moving from metal to plastic still)

2. Yes. With the Big 2E rulebook you get the wave 1 arsenal rules, you have the wave 2. The only things you will be missin from now on are models released with the latest book and beyond. But as was stated when you buy those models you will get the cards.  Also you may want to look at getting the general upgrades deck as it will have upgrades from wave one and I think even a few new ones perhaps. I didn't pay too close attention to the description from gencon.

3. The three eratta cards are Daestro, Franscisco Oretega, and Saemul Hopkins, and you should have the correct versions with your family and sonia box sets.

• Like 1