Is anyone playing fantasy or AoS anymore

Up in B'ham we've been playing Kings of War. It's super fun, with a tight ruleset. All of the movement tactics of 6th and 7th ed. Fantasy, with none of the fiddle bits. I recommend it!

Awesome! I am getting over my disappointments in some of what I see as missed opportunities and thinking more and more that kow will be the game going forward.

If we decide that kow needs more units to cover wfb stuff, I may apply some machine learning to determine the underlying math behind the kow points system. The machine can learn craptons of latent variables to find a true fit, capturing all the non linear relationships in the scoring (stuff the designers wouldn't know, but that has evolved out of play testing). This could make a great starting point for designing new units like a proper bloodthirster :)

I haven't played Fantasy for 20 years, but I have a huge Chaos army, a full Wood Elf army, and units of Skaven, Empire, Orcs, Dark Elves, Undead, and Dwarves. Unlike my 40k horde most of my Fantasy stuff is not fully painted, but that could change real fast if I start playing. I can host in Maple Valley, and possibly make it to Heroic Knight sometime. Mordheim sounds the most promising. I am also working on fantasy scenery and monsters, in hopes of a dungeon crawl campaign.

• Like 1

I trained up a Kings of War cost predictor for new units using a Support Vector Regressor, and it gets really good results! It correctly predicts existing unit costs with a median error of 5 points. Pretty awesome, since they round to 5 points :) (mean error is 9, but there are some units with one-off rules that confuse it a tiny bit).

I don't know if there are other machine learning nerds on Ordo, but this is a pretty darn good result. I'd wager this does as well or better than initial costs assigned by the designers themselves.

So for example, I think Great Ax don't quite match Black Orcs, as I think Black Orcs should have De 5. My ML model predicts that the cost of a unit with the same stats as Great Ax but with +1 De would be 110/161/261.

Or say I really thought River Trolls should have 'Ensnare' (I don't), my model predicts that would cost 145/213 instead of 125/190.

Another fun application would be "living legend units", like "Gorbad's Tusks", an elite unit of boarboyz led by the mighty Gorbad. Maybe I'll take a regiment of Gore Riders, give them +5 att, +3/3 Ne and Inspiring. I get 257 points for this regiment.

Finally, let's do a BloodThirster. We'll take an Archfiend with wings, give it +3 att, and +2/+2 Ne. Prediction is 341 points.

• Like 3

For those few out there who don't know what a Support Vector Regressor is, it's a type of machine learning model, which is 'trained' (that is, taught to predict something) using 'supervised learning' (meaning, you input some data, it tries to predict, and then you tell it how far off its prediction was).  Over time, the model 'learns' to predict more and more accurately.  Or put another way, it keeps track of the supervised input, and eventually finds a model that does a really good job predicting something.

In this particular case, OrkDork input the entirety of the KoW2 unit statistics and special abilities, along with their costs.  Then, he removed one unit, and told the model to predict the cost of the removed unit based on all the other units with similar stats and abilities.  Then he 'supervised' it by saying, 'I'm sorry HAL, you are off by 25 points, please adjust your model.' and did this over all the units until HAL could take a known units stats and abilities, and (without knowing the unit cost) HAL could predict within +/- about 5 points (median error) the actual cost.  

At that point he now had a useful model which could take in a previously non-existent set of stats (e.g. the above Bloodthirster stats) and give a score that *should* be right about at what the unit should cost relative to other units in the game.

Nice job bro!  If you need an icon for that, let me know.

• Like 5

You know, this is a lot like pathfinder. D&D screwed up and made a lacking edition, so all the players went a game system that was like the old edition, but one they'd never have played prior to the screw up.

Now GW has screwed up and we have Kings of War....

I'm still running events at Borderlands for 8th. I am not interested in Kings of war, and AOS isn't a system I love either. We will see how we move ahead as the majority of my club is done Wargaming for while.

I'd be up for an 8th tournament, and probably could get my two brothers to play too, but Swedish Comp is kind of a must for us at this point, so I don't know if you use that in your tournaments?

• Like 1

Warhammer Fantasy cancelled, replaced with Warmachine

TSHFT is saddened to say, but the current state of 8th edition has created a situation whereby we have NO people signed up to play fantasy. Without any seemingly possible to hit even 20 guys, it just doesn’t warrant the costs associated with a tournament that is giving away 3 cruise tickets.

We are currently in the works of transitioning the WHFB space over to Warmachine and we’ve got a Press Ganger on board to run the event. Rules and sales are live!

Very sad, CG.

Well I guess it all depends on how resilient the fantasy player base is going to be. There is certainly no reason not to continue playing. They have their rules, their books, their armies....they just need to get over the fact that GW kicked them in the nuts.

Me, I just bought a new fantasy army. I have three games in which to use it with (8th, KoW, and AoS). Its a great time right now to be a fantasy player.

People just need to realize that they don't need GW's support to keep playing the game. Don't let those corporate jackasses take it away from you. Fantasy players just need to man up.

• Like 7

I think it is just a period of mourning for the most part...

40k players have their cute bouncy Fantasy girlfriend now, Fantasy players are just a bit in shock over the brutality of the breakup after the radical plastic surgery they paid for.

Big bad swear word amazing. Great analogy.