Hex Based Games

InfestedKerrigan

Some time back I read a comment on here, from Fluger if I'm remembering correctly, that led me to believe he doesn't care much for Hex Based gaming.  Or perhaps that there is a saturation of it within games?  I'm not sure.  I meant to ask, but didn't want to derail that thread, and was pinched on time.  

Hex, or Square Tile, or I guess you could do Triangle, too.  Anyway, Tile Based gaming, I guess is what it is.  I would consider Clue to fit into this category.  I would also consider the BattleTech game I played with my cousin when I was 10 in this category.  To that point, would Monopoly, Trouble and Sorry?  The rules dictate when and how your movement phase happens, what actions you can take during various phases within your turn, etc.   This would apply to Small World, as well.  Risk.  Damn.  I've nearly turned this into a generic game thread.

Really, though, I'm more interested in a Clue to BattleTech style game.  Which ones do you like?  Which ones blow?  Someone said something in WFB about AoS being good in his experience to play with non-wargamers.  Are there any Hex/Square tile games that you feel are in this vein?  

An old card hex game called cry havoc. My father worked on it as a youngster with a GW artist called Gary Chalk (Who actually released it and published it). Its a medieval / fantasy based game is great fun and pretty easy to pick up. Well worth a go if you want to get away from purely hex miniatures. :)

Twilight Imperium is a great game, but I have never finished a game. Be sure you set aside a good amount of time for it. Also, I recommend about 3-4 players when learning the game... we have made the mistake of having more players with at least 2-3 learning the game and the others brushing up and it takes for ever.

Is anyone familiar with a BattleTechesque game that is playable out of the box?  1-5 Units per player.  Maybe some equipment customization or purchasing available?  But at the end of the game, everything goes back in the box and it's all good.  

I watched the Sit down and Shut up for Twilight Imperium, and Quarantine.  Twilight looks epic.  Perhaps Christmas time, pick it up.  Quarantine looks like it could be a fun one to play at work.  We play Gloom, Munchkin and Scrabble currently, plus a host of traditional card games.  Quarantine looks small enough and simple enough to get into and get coworkers into, yet nuanced enough to allow for some strategy for those of us who want to get all deep into it.

Are you looking for a specific *flavor* of game?

Avalon Hill's Titan is a hex-based map with very specific movement restrictions that make for a very movement mechanic paired with a recruiting/army building mechanic and a more vanilla fighting mechanic.  If you're going for pure strategy and tactics, this is a good one.

1) There is actually a point system

2) They sell things like "assault lance" with 4 mechs that work well together and have rules.

3) the record sheets are card ish sized

4) shooting is now three ranges, point blank,effective and long with different damages for each. More simplified shooting as you only use the oppponents move value and cover is simplified.

5) you roll once to hit, if you hit you do x damage and now instead of hit locations you basically have a single overall health. If you get lucky your hit was a crit.

6) ranges are universal, special abilities are narrowed.

7) The critical chart which was huge is now very very simple.

• Like 1

Some time back I read a comment on here, from Fluger if I'm remembering correctly, that led me to believe he doesn't care much for Hex Based gaming.  Or perhaps that there is a saturation of it within games?  I'm not sure.  I meant to ask, but didn't want to derail that thread, and was pinched on time.  

I started out with hex gaming but miniatures ruined things for me and now I get out something like Panzer Leader which is a great game and just look at the board and counters and sigh as minis are so much nicer to look at and play with.

I do remember playing Cry Havoc in my earlier years though I think we ended up using minis with it in the days before 40k. I remember it being good fun though and good presentation for a hex and carboard chit game.

Now with modern printing quality some stuff there are some boardgames that are very good looking now. I would have loved to snag one of the big OGRE boxes for example.