Interesting thought... Salamanders scouts

VonVilkee

Okay wow! So recently I was trying to fit my Bray'arth ashmantle (forge world hq dread) into a list and stumbled upon the idea of scouts to fill a troops choice in an Allied Detachment.

I looked at snipers with cloaks and realized they would still have a save against many of the things that are most dangerous to them. Couple that with a master crafted weapon and the ability to sneak a Pod for somebody and I got excited!

This was for an apoc game so points were not issue but wow salamander scouts seem super cool even without Vulkan.

Just needed to share.

• Like 2

Yeah feel no pain 4+ against flamers. For cheap troop filler to get any hq and a drop pod they have some utility. You can ally in a different chapter tactic this one seems really good for it. Master crafted for both characters, take a libby get some obsec scouts, and add that drop pod for centurions. They may not be the best for the primary stuff but very nice for the cheap support stuff.

Okay wow! So recently I was trying to fit my Bray'arth ashmantle (forge world hq dread) into a list and stumbled upon the idea of scouts to fill a troops choice in an Allied Detachment.

I looked at snipers with cloaks and realized they would still have a save against many of the things that are most dangerous to them. Couple that with a master crafted weapon and the ability to sneak a Pod for somebody and I got excited!

Not sure if you are suggesting this or not, but I think Bray'arth doesn't have pod access. He's in that Badab character updated without dedicated transport access.

He's also 265pts.....

Four hull points and venerable he is a beast. In the new marine book you can buy a fast attack pod and put him in it like I'm gonna! Just needed troop choice to round out the allied thing. Bray is an hq :)

Twin linked Melta gun or two heavy Flamer shots (switchable). He can also trade one melee attack for a heavy Flamer hit against everyone in btb. Front armor 13 iirc.

• Like 2

The free MC on the scout sarge's inevitable combi weapon is really slick too.  I've actually been using Salamanders CT on my scouts (simply because I was using a MotF with a Conversion Beamer, it was nice to have it have a re-roll) since 6th edition, but haven't played with the new rules yet.  Interesting thoughts. 

Salamanders appeal to me because they are one of the few Chapters that have lots of fluff about them helping out Imperial citizenry or Imperial Guard units.  They seem more like "good guys" than a lot of other chapters. 

• Like 2

Four hull points and venerable he is a beast. In the new marine book you can buy a fast attack pod and put him in it like I'm gonna! Just needed troop choice to round out the allied thing. Bray is an hq :)

Twin linked Melta gun or two heavy Flamer shots (switchable). He can also trade one melee attack for a heavy Flamer hit against everyone in btb. Front armor 13 iirc.

You and I see something different, then. I see an overpriced walker with a bloated collection of special rules, no invulnerable save, and only average initiative. The warlord trait is nifty, but impractical. His cost is 3/4ths of an imperial knight and he just isn't 3/4ths of an imperial knight.

That said, I would not be surprised if he get's a price drop eventually, as his 4 base attacks would be much more impressive if the normal SM dreads didn't also have 4 attacks (which is new to the SM codex which he predates).

Yeah I get that Pax but dreads are cool! And I was marginally excited when I realized this could work...

Bray does have "wrought by Vulkan" any form of extra dice to pen don't work. Melta, rending, any thing, lance also doesn't lower his armor. That is pretty cool. Bray can also get cover which knights prolly won't so differences.

I know it isn't super efficient but it is interesting.

• Like 1

Yeah I get that Pax but dreads are cool! And I was marginally excited when I realized this could work...

Bray does have "wrought by Vulkan" any form of extra dice to pen don't work. Melta, rending, any thing, lance also doesn't lower his armor. That is pretty cool. Bray can also get cover which knights prolly won't so differences.

I know it isn't super efficient but it is interesting.

Dreads are cool. And the model does look cool.

I saw the "wrought by vulkan" ability which is awesome, but doesn't seem worth the 265pt price tag.

That immunity buff is neat, but he's got AV10 in the back, no invulnerable save, and only intiative 4. Yeah, he'd be pretty sweet against models that rely on melta, lance, armorbane, or rending in melee, but at range it will likely not be as impressive, as they can just move to his side or rear arc and quickly dispatch your dread.  Or just tank hunters with krak missiles to the front, harder, but it can be done.

Dunno, I've been downsizing my models with the "venerable" rule since the models can be glanced to death which circumvents the rule, plus it doesn't have any effect on the D weapon table (should totally force re-rolls on the D table). I like the idea of the rule, but it doesn't work like it used to. Same issues with the "wrought by vulkan," it just doesn't protect enough to justify the high unit cost. If you don't agree, try to make a mental list of the units that would become unable to damage this vehicle because of that rule alone....

I have run a LR Achilles, which similar in terms of having a high price tag for high immunities/defenses, but he's got AV14 on all sides and can transport another unit, plus he's got a barrage weapon, so he doesn't need to get close to be useful. He's still monstrously expensive, so a bit iffy.

Warning: Salamander FNP only works on Flamers and Heavy Flamers and not stuff like a Helldrake Baleflamer.

You mean like how the Avatar is immune to the melta rule, but takes damage from the melta bombs because they lack that rule....?

Are inferno cannons (hellhounds) listed as flamers? I knew the rule didn't affect hell drakes silly deamon fire is fancy. But if you are toasting my scouts and not my Marines with that flyer I'm happy.

Inferno cannon is in the BRB as a flamer weapon.